Sunbeam C20B seal cleanup

  • pawilh
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2013
      Hello All-

      Just recently discovered the rich history of vacuum brewing, and great flavor afforded by such a simple technique. Other than cleanup, or the ability to make rapid pots of coffee in succession, I am not understanding why this methodology was thrown to the curb when the perculator came out in the 50's.

      Anyway, having said that, I have a vintage Hills-Shaw 6 cup Vaculator (1947), and just received a Sunbeam C20B as a gift.

      In regards to the latter, when I received it the top/bottom seal was petrified, and it appeared that someone had put some sort of cloth tape on it, presumably to make it seal.

      Questions: 1. What can I use to remove to old rubber residue from the gasket surfaces that won't scratch, or chemically contaminate the metal? 2. It would seem that the OEM cloth filters are more rare than the pots are, is there a modern replacement cloth filter (have seen them for the Japanese pots) that has been successfully used?

      Thanks!
    • John A.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2013
        Hi, welcome to the group; didn't catch your name... Acetone works very well at softening old, dry, stuck on rubber residue, and it will not harm chrome or glass at all. Try using an acetone saturated cotton ball and maybe an ice cream stick for scraping the old rubber off. Do not allow any to touch Bakelite surfaces, as it will immediately dull the finish. The drawback of the C20 Coffeemasters is that they only accept cloth filters. You just have to make your own or experiment with what works for you. I know some people have had success with paper filters. Try upgrading to a later model that takes the stainless steel filter assembly -- much better. IMO, the C30C is the best one.

        Regards,
        John A.