Re: [vacpot] Hello!

  • Dave Leonard
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
      Hi Dennis,

      Welcome! The various Sunbeam Coffeemaster vac brewers are popular here. I have a couple working C30's, and one with a burned out heater that I converted to stove-top use. They make very good coffee. The only auto vac brewer I've found that does better is the electric Bodum Santos, and these need a bit of modification to make really good coffee. They are excellent after that. I use a Yama 8 cup for most of my brewing unless I'm in a hurry. The Bodum Santos 5 cup does fast coffee well. I have a spare Yama, just in case. Have broke an old Silex and a Cafex glass vac brewer. I bought the Yama because parts are available cheap (the whole brewer is very well priced). The gasket is the best I've found, better than my Cona D Gold vac brewer, which is ridiculously priced for what you get. Can buy about eight Yama's for that kind of money. ;)
      I haven't used an Areo Press yet because I like to make several cups at once and store in insulated carafe to drink over the next 3-4 hours with no bother of brewing again. How does coffee with with the Areo Press compare to your Yama? Have wondered about this, as they seem very popular and are very inexpensive.
      I have and old pour-over (can't remember the brand), but haven't used it for many years. For now, I'm a vac brew lover. Haven't found a way to make better coffee yet. If I ever do, I'll convert. :)
      I do a lot of home roasting. Love the fresh coffee it makes.
      I am occasionally on coffeegeeks, too, as hurdy_gurdyman (I'm a musician and use this username on a lot of music related forums).

      Anyway, nice to see another vac brewing person here.

      Dave in Michigan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
        I use a Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30C once or twice each day for my brew.
        I have 3 of them, with enough functioning parts between the 3 to produce
        one effectively working vacpot. I've downloaded the service manual
        available in the file section of this site, and have done thermostat
        adjustments to the high and low heat. However, the adjustments remain
        imprecise and the time elapsed before the brewer switches from high to low
        varies too much. Therefore, I use the brewer beautifully in
        "semi-automatic" mode. This requires only that I be in attendance when the
        water starts to rise from the bowl into the funnel. I hold the switch in
        the high position for 15 more seconds once all the water has come up, and
        switch it to low at that time. (Actually, I unplug it at that time. I have
        no use whatsoever for the low heat position.) If the agitation action isn't
        sufficient to envelop grinds which have floated to the surface, I do a
        quick stir with a spoon. Much less work, in my opinion, than any other vac
        brewing method, and the best brew I've ever had, each and every day. Since
        I use a quite fine grind, the drawdown is fairly slow, taking about 30
        seconds to start, and 90 seconds to finish, once I unplug the brewer.
        Dave B

        On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...

      • carol.vesperino
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
          Hi Dennis!
          My grinders are Arcade, one Pe De and an unknown lap grinder. I also
          have an old cast iron Brighton. I have heard that electric grinders heat up
          and spoil the taste, but I just like grinding by hand. It doesn't take
          very long to grind enough for a pot. The lap grinder is a coarser grind that I
          use in my percolators.
          I like tea as much as I like coffee, especially if I'm under the
          weather.

          Carol

          In a message dated 1/29/2013 7:14:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          dennis@... writes:

          Hello Carol,

          For non espresso I use a Kitchen Aid Pro grinder that has been modified to
          accept Mazzer Mini burrs. I have a La Cimbali JR for espresso. After the
          week of no power due to Hurricane Sandy I picked up a Kyocera CM45 hand
          grinder as a back-up.

          I do drink tea (I enjoy pu-erh quite a bit) but nowhere near as much as I
          do coffee.

        • Dennis Hill
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
            Hey Dave,

            I think the best thing about the aeropress is how completely wide open your
            brewing can be. I have the two metal filters from Able Brewing and the
            stainless steel mesh filter from Kaffeologie and depending on my ratio used
            I can make a better americano style drink than can typically be had in a
            shop from a very expensive machine. I frequently use it in the mornings
            before I head off to work because there's no left over coffee. I think
            that its easier to get a fantastic cup out of the aero press than it was
            out of my Yama. To be fair, I think its easiest in terms of required skill
            to get a brilliant cup out of immersion brew methods like stove top siphon
            and aeropress compared to press pot or pour over (which is definitely
            bordering on art once you really get your pour rate and technique down)
            once you've accounted for coffee, grind, and water temp. I'm lucky in that
            my go-to c30 is right on the money in terms of temp and kick down time, so
            I can get a cup that is super close to a yama cup or a non concentrate
            aeropress cup in terms of flavor and body, so I still use it a few times a
            week. I've been playing with when I add my coffee to the upper pot on my
            c30 and have been seeing some interesting and quite tasty results. Sorry,
            got a little wonky there for a sec...

            I don't roast, because that's perhaps one rabbit hole too many for my wife
            to suffer with (motorcycles, coffee and music being more than my fair share
            I reckon) and I know that the exhaust system I'd need to make the house not
            stink of roasting coffee would be that bridge too far for either one of us.
            Besides, when there are so many fantastic roasters out there (some within
            a short drive of my home) I figure I can get by with one less DIY in my
            life.

            There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who
            know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.

            Oscar Wilde

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
              Hi Dennis,

              >motorcycles, coffee and music<

              Sounds pretty pretty close to perfection me. ;)  :)

              Dave in Michigan

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
                Hey Carol,

                There's a bunch of variables at play with electric grinders, but for the
                most part the good ones (Baratza grinders etc.) tend to do a really good
                job of grinding the beans with little added heat. One of the reasons why I
                like the Kitchen Aid Pro grinder is it grinds at only 450 RPM due to its
                design. With the Mazzer Mini burrs on it it grinds at an even lower RPM.
                My La Cimbali Jr grinder grinds at 1600 rpm but it grinds so fast that the
                coffee isn't in contact with the burrs for long at all. My Kyocera is
                really good as hand grinders go (You can step up to Orphan Espresso's Lido
                or Pharos hand grinders, but at $165 and $275 respectively they're too rich
                for my blood), but I always get a better cup out of my KA Pro than I do out
                of the Kyocera.

                Those Arcade grinders are super nice looking. Do you use a different
                grinder for each method of brewing that you do?

                On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM, <cvthedragonlady@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Hi Dennis!
                > My grinders are Arcade, one Pe De and an unknown lap grinder. I also
                > have an old cast iron Brighton. I have heard that electric grinders heat
                > up
                > and spoil the taste, but I just like grinding by hand. It doesn't take
                > very long to grind enough for a pot. The lap grinder is a coarser grind
                > that I
                > use in my percolators.
                > I like tea as much as I like coffee, especially if I'm under the
                > weather.
                >
                > Carol
                >

                > In a message dated 1/29/2013 7:14:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                > dennis@... writes:
                >
                > Hello Carol,
                >
                > For non espresso I use a Kitchen Aid Pro grinder that has been modified to
                > accept Mazzer Mini burrs. I have a La Cimbali JR for espresso. After the
                > week of no power due to Hurricane Sandy I picked up a Kyocera CM45 hand
                > grinder as a back-up.
                >
                > I do drink tea (I enjoy pu-erh quite a bit) but nowhere near as much as I
                > do coffee.

              • carol.vesperino
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
                  Dennis,
                  I use a different grinder for every roast of bean I have, and the lap
                  grinder for percolator coffee since it's a coarser grind and not
                  adjustable. The others are adjustable and you can get quite a fine grind with a
                  little elbow grease. I even have one set up as a spice grinder near the stove
                  when the mortar & pestle doesn't grind fine enough for what I want. The
                  smell is incredible while grinding. I buy whole beans from 8 O'Clock at our
                  local grocery store. There's French roast (my son's favorite), Bokar, Dark
                  Italian, and Columbian.....and the obligatory regular blend.

                  I don't use cream or sugar in mine-----I like the taste black. I want to
                  taste the coffee and not the flavorings added.

                  Some of the Arcade and Pe Des are expensive, too. You have to look for
                  deals and sometimes get grinders without hoppers, then look for hopper jars or
                  improvise.
                  Since I also have treadle sewing machines, and other hand-operated kitchen
                  items, I prefer not paying the electric company for something that I can
                  do myself for free. I am not a green person, just cheap. As long as I can do
                  it myself, I will.

                  I like the wall mounted ones because of the long handle and ease in
                  grinding. There are also corn/grain grinders that clamp onto your table for
                  large batches that grind coffee in large batches made of galvanized metal. I
                  used to use one until I realized that the coffee would get stale tasting after
                  a while, so I grind only a pot's worth at a time now and keep the rest in
                  Mason Jars under the cabinet.
                  Carol