Re: [vacpot] Paper filters for the c-20 and earlyc-30

  • jzigpublic
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012
      Hello All,
      One of the reasons some people want to filter their coffee through paper
      and not a fine mesh is because coffee oils have been associated with
      higher cholesterol levels and coffee filtered through paper seems to
      lessen this effect. See news article:
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6242467/ns/health-heart_health/t/coffee-cholesterol/#.UE0kWq67zTo
      Ziggy

      On 9/9/2012 6:18 PM, John A. wrote:

      > Hey Lee,
      >
      > If you determine there is a big enough market, I think manufacturing
      > replacement filters is a great idea. Why not consider using a nylon
      > mesh instead of paper? One drawback I've experienced with paper and
      > cloth is that while these materials do a good job of filtering, they
      > also absorb a good portion of the coffee oils, which detracts from the
      > flavor of the brew. IMO, a stainless steel or nylon filter is better
      > because it stops the sediment while allowing the goodness of the
      > coffee to get through. Also, these materials are much easier to wash
      > and keep sanitary, and are less likely to add any off flavors. I
      > believe you could make a filter out of nylon that would last the
      > consumer about a week or so, then they could just toss it and start
      > with a new one. Nylon mesh fabric is readily available and you could
      > punch out the circle and a small hole in the middle, then seam/weld
      > the edge to keep it from fraying. Should require a minimum of tooling.
      > I believe the Sunbeam stainless filter is mesh size 200 (about 70
      > microns).
      >
      > Mesh materials:
      > http://www.tedpella.com/grids_html/44814.htm
      >
      > Good luck with your endeavor.
      >
      > John A.
      >
      > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, Larry Hollenberg
      > <larryhollenb@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Lee,
      > >
      > > Actually  I was just cutting up some paper filters from other
      > larger types by hand for a different type of coffee maker. Â I didn't
      > used to think I liked filtered coffee but again this morning I used a
      > very nice coffee that I have been using in several drip pots that take
      > paper in my Silex Vacuum.. Â The first cup tasted fine, but it was all
      > down hill after that due to the sediment effecting the taste in a way
      > that a paper filter does not allow. I would think that if the sunbeams
      > take a paper filter which as I recall some types will, then its
      > probably a good idea. In fact I was thinking my self about which
      > vacuum pots could take a paper filter.. One that came to mind is the
      > Knapp Monarch that uses a mess screen similar to Sunbeam but I can't
      > recall if it has a place to put a filter or not?Â
      > >
      > > Larry
      > >

      > > ________________________________

    • Christine Hartmann
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012
        Sounds like a great idea!  We all want to come up with the next "BIG" product idea, and now you have.  I like the idea of the paper best, because it can be composted, but that may not be what your general customer would be looking for.  It should be an interesting endeavor finding a manufacturer, someplace to get it packaged, then into stores or sold via web, etc.  I have no idea what the size of your potential market will be, but I'm wishing you the best of luck!

        Christine - Mpls

        P.S.:  Now if only I could come up with an idea...

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2012
          I've read that article before and wish that it contained some figures
          regarding the AMOUNTS of cholesterol increase that were measured by the
          studies. I watch my cholesterol but was able to bring and keep it down to
          normal levels by reducing my junk food habits without making any changes to
          my consumption of very large amounts of mesh-filtered brewed coffee.
          Dave Bellware