Farberware Robot Replacement Globe?

  • bigjuggler27
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
      Hello all. I am asking this question with a bit of faint hope, but I am wondering if there are any globes out there that will fit and work with a Farberware Robot 500.

      My sad tale is that after lurking here for a very long time and searching for about 2 years I finally won an ebay auction for a Farberware 500. Crushingly, the seller wrapped a single layer of bubble wrap around the globe and stuck it all in a flimsy cardboard box (formerly used to ship plastic straws!). I am culpable that in my rush to pay promptly, I did not specifically request insurance (I am in Canada and usually international shipping includes insurance).

      The globe is smashed. The urn is dented. I am a very, very sad.

      I know that someone here sells new gaskets for the 500s, as well as Cory's, which leads me to my faint hope question....is there any globe around that might fit. Something I can look for on ebay?

      I am an espresso guy and ages ago picked up a Silex Vac Pot at a thrift store and I LOVE the coffee it makes. I was very excited to to try a Robot out for dinner guests. Sigh.

      Any hope here?

      Cheers,

      Craig
    • Robert Bennett II
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
        Googled "Farberware Robot 500", and I think your auction came up....What a TRAGEDY !!!
        I hope you will leave him something less than "Good Feedback" ....Sounds like all you can do, like Kapar Gutman, is "spend another year on the quest..." Try to get your money back at least. What a jerky thing to do....Regrets, Bob

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
          The rules for ebay have said for some time now that the "seller is responsible for the item getting to the persons home in the condition sold".. AT that point they eliminated the insurance surcharge the sellers used to be able to put on an item..  I see a lot of sellers say you have to buy insurance but that is not so.  They are supposed to include it in the cost or the fees.  If its broken you are entitled to a full refund from the seller. If you don't get it I would file a complaint though the resolution links in ebay or paypal.      I think when you give feedback if you give less than a two star rating you automatically get a screen that ask if there was a problem and from there a link to getting it fixed.

          good luck..  Personally on the Robots I had lousy luck an never got one to work correctly or the seals to work well.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
            Thanks for the empathy.

            I am pleased to report a glimmer of hope. I just heard from the seller and he is devastated. He immediately offered to try an insurance claim and failing that, to refund my purchase price. Very decent of him really. Fingers crossed. Sad that the robot had lasted for 77 years before its untimely death at the hands of the postal service.

            It IS a lovely thing otherwise.

            Larry, you said you have not had much success brewing with the robots......is this common? I really hoped to make some lovely coffee with it.... Especially since my glass Silex stovetop model makes such a nice brew!

            Thanks again for the supporting words.

            I am greatly pleased the seller is trying to make thing right.

            Craig

            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

            > The rules for ebay have said for some time now that the "seller is responsible for the item getting to the persons home in the condition sold".. AT that point they eliminated the insurance surcharge the sellers used to be able to put on an item..  I see a lot of sellers say you have to buy insurance but that is not so.  They are supposed to include it in the cost or the fees.  If its broken you are entitled to a full refund from the seller. If you don't get it I would file a complaint though the resolution links in ebay or paypal.      I think when you give feedback if you give less than a two star rating you automatically get a screen that ask if there was a problem and from there a link to getting it fixed.
            >
            > good luck..  Personally on the Robots I had lousy luck an never got one to work correctly or the seals to work well.
            >
            > Larry
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Dave Bellware
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
              It's always best to have a mutually agreeable conclusion when an item
              "is not as described" upon arrival, but you should know that even if the
              seller was NOT being so agreeable, you are STILL entitled to file a claim
              through Ebay and you will definitely receive a refund if you file such a
              claim.
              As a recently retired employee of the US Postal Service, I can assure
              you that you should not wait to see if the USPS will pay the claim. You
              should file an "item not as described" claim against the seller through
              Ebay, and not count on the seller receiving a refund from the USPS. That's
              the seller's problem, not yours. Even if the USPS does issue a payment to
              the seller, it will be slow and will take place AFTER your window of
              opportunity to file the Ebay claim has expired. Let the seller know this
              immediately. The seller should issue you a refund independently of his/her
              dealings with the USPS.
              Dave Bellware

            • Robert Bennett II
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
                Ok, that's good news...You know the funny thing with these kind of things is, you have been looking all this time, and yet you might walk into a church bazzar or antique shop tomrrow that has two of them ! Plus now you have one for "parts"...Get your money back, and hang in. Everybody has a different experience with stuff. Your "500" coffee could turn out great....Find out. Cheers, Bob

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
                  Craig,

                  First as was mentioned, not everyone is going to have the same results with a item.. I just personally had several of them an none was ever working correctly.. Its been an issue with many of the "automatic" type things.. As many have often said here, the simple manual operation items at least give the owner some control of the results.     I had one Robot I even went so far as to try and send for repairs to a party that claimed to be able to fix them. After two trips and it still won't work I gave it up.  I hope yours when you get one all together will work out.

                  I wouldn't necessarily blame the Post Office. I get lots of things though the mail and sold my share as well.  Generally its a seller with little to no experience that causes the items to end up broke.  If one packs things properly its rare that the post office will damage them.. It too have had my share of disasters arrive but in most cases it didn't take much to see that the slightest problem would have caused it to break.   After you get the hang of buying from people you may wish to politely give a few suggestions for insuring that the item survive the trip.. Its truly a shame to get something rare and have it destroyed by poor packing.  When you buy a fragile item send the seller a note before hand if possible and suggest that they either double box it and leave several inches for wadded newspaper or peanuts between the two boxes.. also that any glass items be well protected from each other..   I made a mistake early on thinking I could send a
                  vacuum pot and leave the spring filter in place.  Other wise it was packed to survive tumbling down a set of stairs.  When it arrive and the bottom of the upper pot was broken off at the stem I discovered that in shipping a jolt to the box will cause something like that to "bounce" and on rebound it cracked it into.   Live and learn.  After that I take care to be sure that each item has at least a buffer of bubble wrap between any pieces and that none are left able to be tossed about on their own. Lucky it was a fairly common pot an I had a replacement to send the buyer.   If they can't double box it then lots of the large type bubble wrap with the item well away from the outer box walls will usually do it as well.

                  I am pleased to report a glimmer of hope. I just heard from the seller and he is devastated. He immediately offered to try an insurance claim and failing that, to refund my purchase price. Very decent of him really. Fingers crossed. Sad that the robot had lasted for 77 years before its untimely death at the hands of the postal service.

                  It IS a lovely thing otherwise.

                  Larry, you said you have not had much success brewing with the robots......is this common? I really hoped to make some lovely coffee with it.... Especially since my glass Silex stovetop model makes such a nice brew!

                  Thanks again for the supporting words.

                  I am greatly pleased the seller is trying to make thing right.

                  Craig

                  --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

                  > The rules for ebay have said for some time now that the "seller is responsible for the item getting to the persons home in the condition sold".. AT that point they eliminated the insurance surcharge the sellers used to be able to put on an item..  I see a lot of sellers say you have to buy insurance but that is not so.  They are supposed to include it in the cost or the fees.  If its broken you are entitled to a full refund from the seller. If you don't get it I would file a complaint though the resolution links in ebay or paypal.      I think when you give feedback if you give less than a two star rating you automatically get a screen that ask if there was a problem and from there a link to getting it fixed.
                  >
                  > good luck..  Personally on the Robots I had lousy luck an never got one to work correctly or the seals to work well.
                  >
                  > Larry
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • John A.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
                    What a sad story, Craig. :-( The seller should issue you a prompt refund, no questions asked. I've suffered the same heartbreaks as an ebay shopper -- wonderful old coffee pots, toasters, mixers, glassware, etc. reduced to junk because sellers did not take the time to pack the items properly. They all try to cover their poor packaging skills by blaming the postal service or by blaming the buyer for not purchasing insurance, when in fact they are the ones responsible. Ebay and the postal service have clear guidelines on how to pack fragile items, and the chances of a package getting lost nowadays are greatly reduced due to modern tracking procedures. I feel your frustration, and wish you luck in finding another Robot.

                    Regards,
                    John A.

                    --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Robert Bennett II <rbennett47@...> wrote:

                    > Ok, that's good news...You know the funny thing with these kind of things is, you have been looking all this time, and yet you might walk into a church bazzar or antique shop tomrrow that has two of them ! Plus now you have one for "parts"...Get your money back, and hang in. Everybody has a different experience with stuff. Your "500" coffee could turn out great....Find out. Cheers, Bob

                  • Robert Bennett II
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
                      I agree with Larry....

> [...]

                      > The rules for ebay have said for some time now that the "seller is responsible for the item getting to the persons home in the condition sold".. AT that point they eliminated the insurance surcharge the sellers used to be able to put on an item..  I see a lot of sellers say you have to buy insurance but that is not so.  They are supposed to include it in the cost or the fees.  If its broken you are entitled to a full refund from the seller. If you don't get it I would file a complaint though the resolution links in ebay or paypal.      I think when you give feedback if you give less than a two star rating you automatically get a screen that ask if there was a problem and from there a link to getting it fixed.
                      >
                      > good luck..  Personally on the Robots I had lousy luck an never got one to work correctly or the seals to work well.

                    • Robert Bennett II
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
                        BTW: There's another "500" on Ebay rght now. Bidding is up to $53, and it has a little over a day to go http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Farberware-No-500-Robot-Art-Deco-Percolator-Coffee-Maker-c1950s-/130750445366?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item1e71557736%c2%a0Good Luck, Bob

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 11, 2012
                          Hello to our Farberware Robot experts,
                          I just purchased a Farberware 500 with a chrome upper pot, not a glass one.
                          How do you use the filter assembly for this unit? It is a small metal rod with a brown knob on top, and a brown knob in the middle of the assembly. Do you just rest the middle brown knob on top of the hole of the upper pot?
                          Also, do you have to unplug the unit when you want water/coffee to return to the lower pot? Or will the water return to the bottom pot automatically?
                          Thanks for your help,
                          Brian L.

                          To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                          From: larryhollenb@...
                          Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 10:04:10 -0700

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 12, 2012
                            Brian,

                            Yes the filter has a small bulbous type filter in the center and rest in the uptake tube similar to the Cory or Silex glass rods..  Your pot if working correctly should return the water but as I have pointed out in the past, many of these electrical units are very old and primitive and over time do not operate as they once did..  However if the unit is  raising the water but not returning it in a time you think it should you always have the option of pulling the plug..

                            From: larryhollenb@...
                            Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 10:04:10 -0700

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 12, 2012
                              There is a set of original Robot instructions in the Photo Album "Farberware Coffee Robot Directions/Tag" for your reference.

                              Philip