beware of this group

  • cvthedragonlady@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9, 2012
      Hi!!
      I had joined a coffee grinders group on Yahoo and was surprised that
      there were no files or pictures. When I checked the messages, imagine my
      surprise when they were ALL either spam or sex-related topics. That was the
      fastest "leave group" I ever did. How can these groups exist without Yahoo
      shutting them down? They are most definitely NOT what they pretend to be,
      but I can't find a place to report the group to Yahoo.
      Carol____Pa

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9, 2012
        Carol,

        This is what happens when a group is started an no one sets the memberships to moderated until one can be reasonably sure of the members status.  Our biggest issue is when someone actually takes over a persons yahoo account and thus circumvents the spam system.. Of course at that point it is wise to set that person as Moderated Only so that no more of the fictitious emails can be sent though the members name..   I have seen many groups as you mention.  They don't start out to be spam only but once those so inclined discover that no one is taking an active role in the group then they have free reign to send all the spam they want.  It would seem that at some point a group with little or no activity would be a prime candidate to be shut down by yahoo though. The biggest problem with yahoo is finding a way to get around all the auto responses that lead no where to actually find a human to talk too.  A group that has no active approval for members or
        moderators probably should go.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 9, 2012
          Larry,
          I agree 100%!!! You can't check files or messages until you're a
          member, and then you find out it's not what it's supposed to be. It's a shame
          really. There home page says they discuss coffee grinders, espresso
          machines, etc. What a shock when I saw the list of messages.
          By the way, I got a message from the retrokitchen group from a lady
          in Australia that collects vaccuum pots, only she calls them syphon pots.
          She has 6 and they also roast their own and grind their own. Maybe you should
          read her post and invite her to join like you did for me.
          Just keep up the good work of making sure this group doesn't become a
          sex/spam group and I'll be thrilled!!!
          Carol

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 9, 2012
            Thanks Carol.....I don't know either...Bob

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 9, 2012
              All this may explain in-part why Yahoo is not the healthiest among the internet giants...

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 9, 2012
                Bob,
                When you add all the glitches Yahoo suffers and the hacking that went
                on among my sewing groups, it does make you wonder.
                Carol

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 10, 2012
                  Not that this excuses spam and what have you, but . . .

                  When Lady Day sang about her coffee grinder leaving her she mentioned an achy heart and an empty bed. I suspect there had been heat and steam and a very fine espresso roast. I understand the grinder was also a deep sea diver with a stroke that can't go wrong, which seems unusual for a coffee grinder. And after she told her best friend Sue about this, well, Sue was seen to be really happy. I gather she went and got some of that coffee.

                  So there is an old blues precedent for the coffee grinder as more than beverage machine.

                  Beware coffee grinders. Unless you really want to grind some coffee. (And rock and roll all night long.)
                • cvthedragonlady@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 10, 2012
                    That may well be the case, but their home page and group statement was
                    about roasting coffee, espresso blends, coffee grinders, (and they mentioned
                    burr grinders & many more) and named fancy coffee machines. Needless to
                    say, I assumed, and assuming makes an ass out of U & me (an old joke). How was
                    I to know that they were code words? At my age we lived our whole lives
                    saying exactly what we meant, except for the double meanings in dirty jokes,
                    that aren't even considered dirty now. I will never even think of joining
                    an un-moderated group again.
                    Carol

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 10, 2012
                      I suggest here that before this topic becomes uncomfortable for some that we end it at the point it has reached..

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 10, 2012
                        OK by me.
                        Carol