Drip coffee makers

  • mathewdh@q.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 18 12:47 PM
      Hi Larry,

           While it is not commonly mentioned in ads for the old drip coffee makers, they did requier a paper filter of some sort. There were plenty of retailers of these filters. So I would think at least one of the curent makers of such filters would meet your requierments. You could also look into a gold plated mesh screen to fit into the bottom of the metal cup for the Flamex.

           Or use whle beans without grinding but the extraction time is days.

      CHEERS...Mathew

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 18 12:57 PM
        Hi Matt,

        Yes these porcelain type baskets and diffusers seem very poor in design from the pots I have owned that had them.   The biggest problem comes if you try to do like most others do and pour your hot water in the top and let it filter down.. It just pours all around the diverter and then eventually lifts it up causing a real mess and water like coffee. It will even move the paper filters out of the bottom from the large amount of water that it dumps at once.   That was the real benefit to using that older melitta drip as the water source, it never moves the diffuser so you can actually make decent coffee with it.. In fact this morning it was really a bit too strong when I tired it.. I would say however your using somewhat more grounds due to the fairly large surface of the grounds basket.  But from a historical point its interesting to see and finally get to work.. Now if only I could make those flamex percolators work right, but so far they are
        problematic as well. Even if you get it to sort of perk, the coffee comes out poorly in it to me.

             While it is not commonly mentioned in ads for the old drip coffee makers, they did requier a paper filter of some sort. There were plenty of retailers of these filters. So I would think at least one of the curent makers of such filters would meet your requierments. You could also look into a gold plated mesh screen to fit into the bottom of the metal cup for the Flamex.

             Or use whle beans without grinding but the extraction time is days.

        CHEERS...Mathew

      • Ian Bersten

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 18 9:12 PM
            What is the diameter of the cup ?  Bob

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 19 4:50 AM
              Bob,

              I have a set of old Melitta round flat filters #1 marked on the box. They are about 3 5/8" and fit the bottom just about all the way.  I think it would probably also take a 3 3/4"size..    One can fashion round filters pretty easily from new basket types by making a cardboard pattern and then tracing around the size and cutting groups of them at once. Often just cutting the bottom out is about the correct size for various pots that need a flat filter.   Over time I had acquired several types of flat vintage filters.  The one odd set are those to Tri Colators which for some reason seem to not allow water to flow though?

            • nancihank@embarqmail.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 19 9:28 AM
                I have an almost full can of what I think are 1920’s Tricolator Filters.....they are very fine....the printing on the can has a very oriental flair to the printing font but they were made in the U.S.A. Unfortunately the instructions on the top of the can can’t be read because of deterioration of the metal. I also have an envelope of Tricolator Filters....the envelope has the following information on it: Size 3 1/2......Drip Filters....10 Cents for 66 Filters, FRIENDS RECOMMEND...Made in America.......These Are Wet Strength.....Reg. U.S. Pat. Off. ......66 Filters in Envelope .10 Cents, 100 Filters in Envelope .15 Cents, 400 in Box .50 Cents, 800 in Box $1.00.......on corners.....FILTERS SNOWY WHITE FIBRE (this is the way it is spelled), PURE ECONOMICAL SANITARY, FILTERS AMERICAN MADE, FILTERS AMERICAN MADE (repeated). The envelope has a picture (drawing) of what looks like a pottery Tricolator pot (I only have the 8 cup glass Pyrex Tricolator and the metal drip/water spreader)....with a small, oval inset picture of a woman pouring boiling water into the water spreader of a pot.) The back of the envelope has a lot of information so I will just type it in. Thought someone might be interested in this information. The envelope measures: 4 1/4” x 4 1/4”...is red with a tan circle bordered in black....the envelope is neat looking. I have never used any of the filters.

                Nancy C.

                On flap of envelope:

                DIRECTIONS

                Place a Tricolator Filter Sheet in the well of the coffee maker. Measure Drip Grind Coffee according to the amount of coffee you wish to serve. Seat the water spreader above the coffee and then pour boiling water.

                On body of envelope:

                USE ONE EXTREMELY HEAPING TABLESPOON of Drip Grind Coffee as measure for 1st cup.

                EACH ADDITIONAL CUP requires only one half of this measure of Drip Grind.

                PRE-HEAT THE DEVICE before using. For pot protection use Air-Cooled Flame Pad or asbestos mat.

                7 minutes or more gives best extraction. Water passing too quickly through coffee fails to produce perfect results.

                TWO TRICOLATOR filters always extract stronger coffee and is recommended when making less than four cups
                in an eight cup device.

                LEARN TO TRICOLATE COFFEE

                Do not allow your COFFEE TO BOIL

                Drink your coffee filtered crystal clear.

                These wet strength filters allow grounds to be disposed of easily.

                TRICOLATOR COMPANY, INC. .......NEW YORK 1, N. Y. .........Printed in U.S.A.

              • cvthedragonlady@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 19 9:58 PM
                  Amazon has the round, flat drip or percolator Melitta filters. You can buy
                  them by the case if desired like I did. They are round & flat with a
                  perforated hole you can slip over the basket stem if using in a percolator.
                  There are 100 per bag. The filter sits in the bottom section flat, then coffee
                  is put over it, then the top section of the drip is attached before setting
                  on the pot itself. Don't actually boil the water, bring it to almost a
                  boil. Boiling water brings out the oil and bitterness.
                  Carol V. from Pa.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 20 4:43 AM
                    Hello Carol,

                    Good to have you with us.  I have had various flat filters and some do have the hole for the stems and some have none.. I guess drip is none and the hole is for percolator.. The one exception I can think of is the Silex Bon Vivant that takes a filter that goes over a stem but is a drip pot.   I guess I haven't really noticed the new filters much but I will have to check out the filter sections at the stores to see what is available still.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 20 4:43 AM
                      I use those in my C20A and they work great. Cheap too....about a penney apiece.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 20 7:49 PM
                        I needed them for my percolators and drip pots, but local sources were an
                        arm and a leg. Amazon's price was more than reasonable. The cone filters
                        for Melitta are expensive in some sizes, but there are generic clones in the
                        most popular sizes here. It was the flat round ones that seem to be harder
                        & harder to find.

                        Carol V. from Pa.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 20 7:59 PM
                          Larry,
                          In a pinch I've used the automatic drip filters folded to quarters,
                          then slit the very tip to put in my percolator. After the coffee grounds are
                          in, I folded over the edges, like the coffee that used to come
                          pre-measured and wrapped in filter material.
                          These Melitta round ones have to have the center hole punched out by
                          hand for stems, so they are my filters of choice for the 2 styles. The Top
                          Crest style used to have an extra ring you could pop off to fit both 4 and
                          4 & 1/2" drip or percolator baskets. I still have a couple I've been hiding
                          for "historical" purposes.
                          Are you a cloth filter or glass rod person with your vaccuum pots? I
                          like the glass rods for tea and the cloth filters for coffee.

                          Carol V. from Pa.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 20 8:21 PM
                            Carol,

                            Personally I don't care for the cloth as no matter how I followed the instructions for keeping them fresh I get a distasteful effect which I am pretty sure is due to the cloth filter.  So I use the glass ones in the case of most or I used to have the large porcelain ones for Kents as well as the nice Nicro type stainless filters. They will also work in many other  pots and do a good job from what I found.  No taste to those either.

                            The paper filters I too have experimented with and at times I created holes in the center of the smaller sized basket filter and put them cut down slightly in my percolators to prevent excessive sediment.  However Matt mentioned that most drips and perks used paper I think, I rarely had ever used  paper except when experimenting and if the holes in the drip parts were too large to keep most of the grounds in.  I tend to think that the paper in some way deters the flavor a bit, but you do get a bit of sediment of course.  The pot with the finest mesh to my findings is the Priscilla Ware drip with a removable basket and small handle. They used a very fine screen like material that I find makes excellent drip coffee without a filter.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 20 8:55 PM
                              Larry,
                              Do you also use the thin glass rods to stir the top pot before you
                              turn off the heat? I have some glass drink stirring rods that I use for mine.
                              Have you also tried using a larger grind to eliminate some sediment? My
                              grinders can be set and I use a coarser grind for perc coffee than drip.

                              Carol V.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 20 9:01 PM
                                Carol,

                                Yes I vary the grind somewhat dependent on what seems to work the best in a given pot. Generally I find the larger sizes better for the percolator as well, but I noticed that the Sunbeams have marked on the basket to use a medium fine grade.. too fine however can cause a overflow of the water in the grounds basket..
                                For stirring the top of the cory type vacuum coffee makers I just use a handy spoon I have.