New member Dave from North Carolina

  • big_bells
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 12, 2012
      I've been drinking autodrip coffee most of my life. 5 months ago I bought a home coffee roaster and started roasting my own beans. I now have both the FreshRoast SR500 that I bought originally and a Behmor 1600 drum roaster.
      Then a couple of weeks ago I got a decent grinder, a Baratz Encore. Now I'm looking for a better brewing method, even though I've really had no complaints about my cheap and much-maligned JC Penney Cooks autodrip brewer.
      So, I bought 3 used Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30s on Ebay. 2 yet to arrive, the first arrived today with the bakelite base broken during shipping but I've KrazyGlued it back together. Now to find out if it's in good enough shape to work.
    • Robert Bennett II
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 18, 2012
        Yes. it would be good to know if they work. Looks like he's into it enough to do a good product...Bob

        From: big_bells <bigbells@...>
        Subject: [vacpot] Re: New member Dave from North Carolina
        To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 4:08 PM

        I've now received all 3 of the C30 models that I bought on Ebay. Out of the three, only one has a good enough gasket on the top part to create an airtight seal with the bottom part. The three bottom parts all click from high to low faster than the recommended 15 seconds when tested with the "high heat setting" cold water test in the service manual. Oddly enough, the bottom part that clicks the slowest agitates the brew in the upper container for the shortest period of time, so that's the one I'm now using for my daily one or two pots of coffee. Maybe it makes sense that the higher heat setting produces shorter agitation but it seems counter-intuitive.