Re: Has anyone noticed...

  • lobsterboy582000
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2012
      I sent a couple screen captures of Sunbeam Coffeemasters to the photo album 'Movie Vacpots'.

      One is from a Three Stooges short, the other from It: The Terror From Beyond Space.

      Art

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "coalandcoffee" <jk96@...> wrote:

      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahStC5TnwS4
      >
      > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "coalandcoffee" <jk96@> wrote:
      > >
      > > http://www.cbs.com/shows/ncis/video/2231990349/ncis-up-in-smoke
      > >
      > > Go to the 16 minute mark, endure the commercials, and look. It's a C50.
    • Philip
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 16, 2012
        Awesome! Thank you very much for sharing.

        If I remember correctly Rosemary Clooney used an automatic GE vacpot in White Christmas.

        Philip

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "lobsterboy582000" <artzad@...> wrote:

        > I sent a couple screen captures of Sunbeam Coffeemasters to the photo album 'Movie Vacpots'.
        >
        > One is from a Three Stooges short, the other from It: The Terror From Beyond Space.
        >
        > Art
        >
        > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "coalandcoffee" <jk96@> wrote:
        > >
        > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahStC5TnwS4
        > >
        > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "coalandcoffee" <jk96@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > http://www.cbs.com/shows/ncis/video/2231990349/ncis-up-in-smoke
        > > >
        > > > Go to the 16 minute mark, endure the commercials, and look. It's a C50.

      • Ian Bersten
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 25, 2012
          I would like to share with you a new discovery - or rather one that has
          never been written about.

          Coffee flavour extraction is more or less proportional to surface area.

          This is very important for vac pots because the filtering mechanism
          determines the possible grind size.

          IF YOU TAKE A GRINDER AND GRIND YOUR NORMAL GRIND AND THEN SIEVE IT SO THAT
          THE VERY SMALL PARTICLES ARE not IN THE GRIND AND THEN

          TAKE 2 GRAMS OF COARSE AND 2 GRAMS FINE AND BREW THEM IN A GLASS SEPARATELY
          WITH BOILING WATER YOU WILL FIND THAT THE COARSE PARTICLES HARDLY RELEASE
          ANY COLOUR IN RELATION TO THE FINE.

          What this means is that if your coffee is 60% coarse and 40% fine you will
          get a totally different flavour to one which is 40% coarse and 60% fine

          The whole point of me telling you this is that the design of your vac pot
          has much less to do with the flavour of the coffee than the surface area of
          the coffee.

        • Philip
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 26, 2012
            Thank you Ian for once again sharing your lifetime of experience and wisdom with us.

            Philip Petty

            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Bersten" <ian@...> wrote:

            > I would like to share with you a new discovery - or rather one that has
            > never been written about.
            >
            > Coffee flavour extraction is more or less proportional to surface area.
            >
            > This is very important for vac pots because the filtering mechanism
            > determines the possible grind size.
            >
            > IF YOU TAKE A GRINDER AND GRIND YOUR NORMAL GRIND AND THEN SIEVE IT SO THAT
            > THE VERY SMALL PARTICLES ARE not IN THE GRIND AND THEN
            >
            > TAKE 2 GRAMS OF COARSE AND 2 GRAMS FINE AND BREW THEM IN A GLASS SEPARATELY
            > WITH BOILING WATER YOU WILL FIND THAT THE COARSE PARTICLES HARDLY RELEASE
            > ANY COLOUR IN RELATION TO THE FINE.
            >
            > What this means is that if your coffee is 60% coarse and 40% fine you will
            > get a totally different flavour to one which is 40% coarse and 60% fine
            >
            > The whole point of me telling you this is that the design of your vac pot
            > has much less to do with the flavour of the coffee than the surface area of
            > the coffee.

          • Ian Bersten
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 26, 2012
              You are welcome. The interesting thing is that this phenomenon escaped the
              gaze of all who wrote about coffee from over 300 years - including me. You
              do not see it if you use 10 grams per cup because the water becomes so dark
              that the difference is obscured.

              Thank you Ian for once again sharing your lifetime of experience and wisdom
              with us.

              Philip Petty

              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ian Bersten"