Re: Has anyone noticed...

  • coalandcoffee
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 11, 2012
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahStC5TnwS4

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "coalandcoffee" <jk96@...> wrote:

      > http://www.cbs.com/shows/ncis/video/2231990349/ncis-up-in-smoke
      >
      > Go to the 16 minute mark, endure the commercials, and look. It's a C50.
      >
      > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Philip" <pbpetty@> wrote:
      > >

      > > The story line on NCIS is that the Coffeemaster belonged to Jethro's mother which is why he keeps it on his mantle. It has never been shown in use in the series but is seen rather often on the mantle.
      > >
      > > Philip

    • lobsterboy582000
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 12, 2012
        I sent a couple screen captures of Sunbeam Coffeemasters to the photo album 'Movie Vacpots'.

        One is from a Three Stooges short, the other from It: The Terror From Beyond Space.

        Art

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "coalandcoffee" <jk96@...> wrote:

        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahStC5TnwS4
        >
        > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "coalandcoffee" <jk96@> wrote:
        > >
        > > http://www.cbs.com/shows/ncis/video/2231990349/ncis-up-in-smoke
        > >
        > > Go to the 16 minute mark, endure the commercials, and look. It's a C50.
      • Philip
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 16, 2012
          Awesome! Thank you very much for sharing.

          If I remember correctly Rosemary Clooney used an automatic GE vacpot in White Christmas.

          Philip

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "lobsterboy582000" <artzad@...> wrote:

          > I sent a couple screen captures of Sunbeam Coffeemasters to the photo album 'Movie Vacpots'.
          >
          > One is from a Three Stooges short, the other from It: The Terror From Beyond Space.
          >
          > Art
          >
          > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "coalandcoffee" <jk96@> wrote:
          > >
          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahStC5TnwS4
          > >
          > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "coalandcoffee" <jk96@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > http://www.cbs.com/shows/ncis/video/2231990349/ncis-up-in-smoke
          > > >
          > > > Go to the 16 minute mark, endure the commercials, and look. It's a C50.

        • Ian Bersten
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 25, 2012
            I would like to share with you a new discovery - or rather one that has
            never been written about.

            Coffee flavour extraction is more or less proportional to surface area.

            This is very important for vac pots because the filtering mechanism
            determines the possible grind size.

            IF YOU TAKE A GRINDER AND GRIND YOUR NORMAL GRIND AND THEN SIEVE IT SO THAT
            THE VERY SMALL PARTICLES ARE not IN THE GRIND AND THEN

            TAKE 2 GRAMS OF COARSE AND 2 GRAMS FINE AND BREW THEM IN A GLASS SEPARATELY
            WITH BOILING WATER YOU WILL FIND THAT THE COARSE PARTICLES HARDLY RELEASE
            ANY COLOUR IN RELATION TO THE FINE.

            What this means is that if your coffee is 60% coarse and 40% fine you will
            get a totally different flavour to one which is 40% coarse and 60% fine

            The whole point of me telling you this is that the design of your vac pot
            has much less to do with the flavour of the coffee than the surface area of
            the coffee.

          • Philip
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 26, 2012
              Thank you Ian for once again sharing your lifetime of experience and wisdom with us.

              Philip Petty

              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Bersten" <ian@...> wrote:

              > I would like to share with you a new discovery - or rather one that has
              > never been written about.
              >
              > Coffee flavour extraction is more or less proportional to surface area.
              >
              > This is very important for vac pots because the filtering mechanism
              > determines the possible grind size.
              >
              > IF YOU TAKE A GRINDER AND GRIND YOUR NORMAL GRIND AND THEN SIEVE IT SO THAT
              > THE VERY SMALL PARTICLES ARE not IN THE GRIND AND THEN
              >
              > TAKE 2 GRAMS OF COARSE AND 2 GRAMS FINE AND BREW THEM IN A GLASS SEPARATELY
              > WITH BOILING WATER YOU WILL FIND THAT THE COARSE PARTICLES HARDLY RELEASE
              > ANY COLOUR IN RELATION TO THE FINE.
              >
              > What this means is that if your coffee is 60% coarse and 40% fine you will
              > get a totally different flavour to one which is 40% coarse and 60% fine
              >
              > The whole point of me telling you this is that the design of your vac pot
              > has much less to do with the flavour of the coffee than the surface area of
              > the coffee.

            • Ian Bersten
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 26, 2012
                You are welcome. The interesting thing is that this phenomenon escaped the
                gaze of all who wrote about coffee from over 300 years - including me. You
                do not see it if you use 10 grams per cup because the water becomes so dark
                that the difference is obscured.

                Thank you Ian for once again sharing your lifetime of experience and wisdom
                with us.

                Philip Petty

                --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ian Bersten"