Coffeemaster Filter History

  • coalandcoffee
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2012
      Can anyone help with the history of the filter unit on the Sunbeam Coffeemaster?

      I know the basics such as the screw-in filter on the C20's, the mesh filter replacing the cloth on the C30B and C. I'm interested in finding out when production changes were made, such as the change or disappearance altogether of the top strainer above the mesh filter, the appearance of the Bakelite knob, etc.
    • John A.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2012
        Hey, John. Check my album, Sunbeam Coffeemaster Filter Assemblies, for the breakdown. You may have to enlarge the view.

        All of the C20s had the screw-down filter rod. The C30, C30A and C30AB "Beehive" had a hooked, spring tensioned filter frame with a "slide-lock" to hold flat cloth filters. Some later C30A models came with the stainless steel mesh only system. These were also sold as a replacement assembly to the cloth type filter frames of the early models (circa 1951-'52) The C30B came out in 1953 and had the mesh with the additional "dome" strainer, which carried over when the C30C replaced it in 1954. The C40, C40A aluminum top models (circa 1956-'57) also had the dome style. Late C30C models (circa 1959-'60) had the flat strainer plate and an improved mesh. The Bakelite knob type (circa 1962 -'63) came with some of the later C50's and was also sold as a replacement assembly for the earlier Coffeemasters. I base my information on practical experience and Sunbeam service literature.
        Hope this helps,

        John A.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2012
          Thanks, John!
          I haven't had a chance to look at all the albums yet, I didn't know you had filter photos posted.
          The filter progression was about as I expected, but it's nice to know the history, thanks again.
          I had 1 filter unit with the Bakelite knob, gave it to a friend for his C30A, his mesh screen had a tear in it.