Re: Coffeemaster C30C, the Dayseal gasket, and overflowing during brewing.

  • reodds
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2012
      Hi John,

      Just some feedback to your recommended fix for my C30C problem. I added
      a piece of copper pipe to the end of the upper bowl tub as you
      suggested. The extension beyond the tube end was about 1/2", and it
      worked like a charm. No more vacuum problems or coffee spillage!

      Not only did it stop the problem I was having, but because the pipe is
      wedged onto the tube it closes any gaps in the tube seam eliminating
      that possible complication as well.

      I highly recoomend this very easy fix for anyone with vacuum or spillage
      issues

      Thanks again for your help!

      Roger

      P.S. I believe that the pipe (actually copper tube) extension can be
      even longer than I used, up to the point where the filter retaining rod
      is just above the bottom of the lower pot. An easy way to measure this
      length, is to mark the retaining rod from inside the upper pot with a
      marker, then depress the rod to the point where it contacts the lower
      pot, and mark the rod again. Measure the distance between the 2 marks,
      and this is the maximum amount of extension you can have beyond the end
      of the upper pot tube.

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "coalandcoffee"
      <jk96@...> wrote:

      > Greetings fellow vacuum coffee pot collectors.
      > I've been using Sunbeam Coffeemasters for years, with the advent of
      the Dayseal replacement gasket I can once again use my favorite
      Coffeemaster(s). I had given up as my supply of used gaskets was
      exhausted.
      > I have had a problem with the C30C overflowing wit the Dayseal gasket,
      it is chamfered to provide a tighter fit, I'm using the longer tube,
      high heat run time is within limits, if not a little short.
      > I came up with a little modification which seems to have worked:
      >
      > In my continuing effort to stop the C30C from barfing out coffee and
      water every time I run it I have read the service manual and determined
      that the aftermarket Dayseal gasket is positioning the dip tube too far
      from the bottom of the lower pot. Since the heating element runs around
      the perimeter of the vessel the heat travels to the center, the outside
      heats first. Positioning the tube closer to the bottom of the vessel
      slows the action of the boiling water. I came up with a little
      modification using a piece of 1/2" copper pipe, chamfered to wedge
      against the tube.
      > Water to the 6 cup mark, 8 tablespoons of coffee, and success!
      > I have posted photos on this forum:
      > http://nepacrossroads.com/about24543.html
      >
      > Please visit it look at the photos and let me know what you think.
      > Thanks,
      > John---Certified Coffeemaster Addict.

    • coalandcoffee
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2012
        Thanks Roger.
        I'm still having overflowing issues with my C30C, even with the copper tube modification. The one I'm using only extends about 1/8" beyond the end of the tube. I intend to fab a longer one as time permits.
        I also sanded down the Dayseal gasket a bit, a hight comparison between the new and original gaskets showed a definite difference.
        One of my buddies caught the Coffeemaster bug and bought one on eBay, a C30A. He recently ordered the Dayseal gasket and reports has been slightly modified since I got mine. He reports good results with his Coffeemaster.