Re: Coffeemaster C30C, the Dayseal gasket, and overflowing during brewing.

  • reodds
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22 6:17 AM
      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "coalandcoffee" <jk96@...> wrote:

      > Greetings fellow vacuum coffee pot collectors.
      > I've been using Sunbeam Coffeemasters for years, with the advent of the Dayseal replacement gasket I can once again use my favorite Coffeemaster(s). I had given up as my supply of used gaskets was exhausted.
      > I have had a problem with the C30C overflowing wit the Dayseal gasket, it is chamfered to provide a tighter fit, I'm using the longer tube, high heat run time is within limits, if not a little short.
      > I came up with a little modification which seems to have worked:
      >
      > In my continuing effort to stop the C30C from barfing out coffee and water every time I run it I have read the service manual and determined that the aftermarket Dayseal gasket is positioning the dip tube too far from the bottom of the lower pot. Since the heating element runs around the perimeter of the vessel the heat travels to the center, the outside heats first. Positioning the tube closer to the bottom of the vessel slows the action of the boiling water. I came up with a little modification using a piece of 1/2" copper pipe, chamfered to wedge against the tube.
      > Water to the 6 cup mark, 8 tablespoons of coffee, and success!
      > I have posted photos on this forum:
      > http://nepacrossroads.com/about24543.html
      >
      > Please visit it look at the photos and let me know what you think.
      > Thanks,
      > John---Certified Coffeemaster Addict.

      John,

      Thanks for your advice. The vacuum problem is solved, I needed to add some silicone grease around the new Dayseal gasket to seal it better. Obviously, the Dayseal gasket is a bit too small.

      As far as the copper tube modification; what is the length of the addition to the tube (not the overall length of the copper pipe, just the extension beyond the tube? Since I do not have Tool T-41694 to measure the appropritate clearance, do you have a measurement of the correct amount of space needed?

      This group is really great, thanks again!

      Roger
    • John A.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22 12:17 PM
        I like your modification, John. The distance of the end of the tube from the bottom of the lower pot is critical. Another issue that will cause boiling over is a stretched open seam along the side of the funnel tube. I've come across many where you could see daylight coming in the full length of the tube -- probably from someone cramming an oversize brush or a dishcloth into the thing while cleaning. I never had much success trying to squeeze one back together, either. I've also had Coffeemasters cook over because the filter was getting forced upward by the pressure of the water moving north. This is easily solved by tweaking the spring on the filter rod or adding part of another spring to the filter rod to increase the tension on the filter.

        John A.

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "coalandcoffee" <jk96@...> wrote:

        > Greetings fellow vacuum coffee pot collectors.
        > I've been using Sunbeam Coffeemasters for years, with the advent of the Dayseal replacement gasket I can once again use my favorite Coffeemaster(s). I had given up as my supply of used gaskets was exhausted.
        > I have had a problem with the C30C overflowing wit the Dayseal gasket, it is chamfered to provide a tighter fit, I'm using the longer tube, high heat run time is within limits, if not a little short.
        > I came up with a little modification which seems to have worked:
        >
        > In my continuing effort to stop the C30C from barfing out coffee and water every time I run it I have read the service manual and determined that the aftermarket Dayseal gasket is positioning the dip tube too far from the bottom of the lower pot. Since the heating element runs around the perimeter of the vessel the heat travels to the center, the outside heats first. Positioning the tube closer to the bottom of the vessel slows the action of the boiling water. I came up with a little modification using a piece of 1/2" copper pipe, chamfered to wedge against the tube.
        > Water to the 6 cup mark, 8 tablespoons of coffee, and success!
        > I have posted photos on this forum:
        > http://nepacrossroads.com/about24543.html
        >
        > Please visit it look at the photos and let me know what you think.
        > Thanks,
        > John---Certified Coffeemaster Addict.

      • coalandcoffee
        Message 3 of 7 , May 23 6:43 PM
          I checked the tube and the seam is tight all along it's length, I rejected another tube I had because I could see a trace of light through it. I guess we are thinking along the same lines because I also stretched out the spring on the filter a bit!

          Message 4 of 7 , May 23 6:50 PM
            The additional length the little piece of copper added to the tube was 1/8". I figured I'd try that and see what happened. The service manual quotes a spec for the length of the tube, but not the distance from the bottom of the tube to the bottom of the lower vessel. Without that measurement we are left with a hit or miss approach. If the Dayseal gasket does increase the distance from the tube to the bottom of the pot then we are left to solve the problem on our own.

            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "reodds" <reodds@...> wrote:

            > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "coalandcoffee" <jk96@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Greetings fellow vacuum coffee pot collectors.
            > > I've been using Sunbeam Coffeemasters for years, with the advent of the Dayseal replacement gasket I can once again use my favorite Coffeemaster(s). I had given up as my supply of used gaskets was exhausted.
            > > I have had a problem with the C30C overflowing wit the Dayseal gasket, it is chamfered to provide a tighter fit, I'm using the longer tube, high heat run time is within limits, if not a little short.
            > > I came up with a little modification which seems to have worked:
            > >
            > > In my continuing effort to stop the C30C from barfing out coffee and water every time I run it I have read the service manual and determined that the aftermarket Dayseal gasket is positioning the dip tube too far from the bottom of the lower pot. Since the heating element runs around the perimeter of the vessel the heat travels to the center, the outside heats first. Positioning the tube closer to the bottom of the vessel slows the action of the boiling water. I came up with a little modification using a piece of 1/2" copper pipe, chamfered to wedge against the tube.
            > > Water to the 6 cup mark, 8 tablespoons of coffee, and success!
            > > I have posted photos on this forum:
            > > http://nepacrossroads.com/about24543.html
            > >
            > > Please visit it look at the photos and let me know what you think.
            > > Thanks,
            > > John---Certified Coffeemaster Addict.
            > >

            > John,
            >
            > Thanks for your advice. The vacuum problem is solved, I needed to add some silicone grease around the new Dayseal gasket to seal it better. Obviously, the Dayseal gasket is a bit too small.
            >
            > As far as the copper tube modification; what is the length of the addition to the tube (not the overall length of the copper pipe, just the extension beyond the tube? Since I do not have Tool T-41694 to measure the appropritate clearance, do you have a measurement of the correct amount of space needed?
            >
            > This group is really great, thanks again!
            >
            > Roger

          • reodds
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2012
              Hi John,

              Just some feedback to your recommended fix for my C30C problem. I added
              a piece of copper pipe to the end of the upper bowl tub as you
              suggested. The extension beyond the tube end was about 1/2", and it
              worked like a charm. No more vacuum problems or coffee spillage!

              Not only did it stop the problem I was having, but because the pipe is
              wedged onto the tube it closes any gaps in the tube seam eliminating
              that possible complication as well.

              I highly recoomend this very easy fix for anyone with vacuum or spillage
              issues

              Thanks again for your help!

              Roger

              P.S. I believe that the pipe (actually copper tube) extension can be
              even longer than I used, up to the point where the filter retaining rod
              is just above the bottom of the lower pot. An easy way to measure this
              length, is to mark the retaining rod from inside the upper pot with a
              marker, then depress the rod to the point where it contacts the lower
              pot, and mark the rod again. Measure the distance between the 2 marks,
              and this is the maximum amount of extension you can have beyond the end
              of the upper pot tube.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2012
                Thanks Roger.
                I'm still having overflowing issues with my C30C, even with the copper tube modification. The one I'm using only extends about 1/8" beyond the end of the tube. I intend to fab a longer one as time permits.
                I also sanded down the Dayseal gasket a bit, a hight comparison between the new and original gaskets showed a definite difference.
                One of my buddies caught the Coffeemaster bug and bought one on eBay, a C30A. He recently ordered the Dayseal gasket and reports has been slightly modified since I got mine. He reports good results with his Coffeemaster.