Coffeemaster C30-A Seal Replacement Question/Problem

  • John G
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2012
      Hello all,

      I have had a C30 for several months now (with original seal) and have thoroughly enjoyed learning to use it and have gotten better at making excellent coffee with this new type of maker.

      Even though I thoroughly cleaned the pot after I bought it, and always do between uses, I have been noticing what I'll call an "old" smell associated with the original rubber seal. The seal works and seals great, but it not only smells like a musty old antique, it imparts that slightly to the coffee. I can't get away from it...

      Despite that the operation of the vacuum with the original seal was perfect, the situation was not, so I bought a new Dayseal replacement, and the optional additional O-Ring seal, and after installation, the pot will bubble extra vigorously (moreso than before) but when it is completely through, it leaves me with about 2-3 cups of coffee in the top chamber. The 5-6 cups that make it down below are excellent, and better than ever.

      But it won't completely empty the top chamber back into the bottom, regardless of how long I let it sit there. Perhaps I didn't tighten the new seal enough? (I did as hard as I could by hand with gloves for extra grip, using a dowel rod in the funnel, as described)

      I also wonder if I put the new O-Ring in the wrong place. (I didn't even find an old one to replace, so I'm not sure if the purpose of the new one is to improve the design, or I just didn't find the old one.)

      Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to put the original back in (due to the taste and smell) but situation this doesn't work either! HA!

      Thanks so much. I have learned a great deal from this group over the last couple of months!

      John Gordon
    • John A.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 22, 2012
        Hi, John,
        Have you tried soaking the original gasket in a cleaning solution for several days? This may help remove some of the odor and taste you describe. The service literature states that some odor from the gasket is normal and that it won't transfer to the coffee.

        With regard to the new seal, you are evidently losing vacuum -- not between the lower pot and the seal, but between the tube assembly and the upper pot. You will notice that the profile of the new gasket is flat on top, while the original is slightly concave to fit the curvature of the upper pot. The new gasket also lacks a recess for the threaded retaining cup, so no matter how tight you get it, it won't reach the same depth as the original. In the C30A-C30C models, with conical tubes, the smaller seal is supposed to be sandwiched between the retaining cup and the upper pot, which prevents vacuum loss in that area. This seal also prevents coffee from seeping around the tube and collecting inside the larger gasket. The C30 has a straight tube and bushings and does not employ the smaller seal. The vigorous bubbling is related to the distance of the tube from the bottom of the lower vessel. The profile of the new seal increases this distance somewhat. I had similar experiences with the DaySeal and remedied them by (1) carefully sanding the upper surface of the gasket with a drill powered drum sander so it would fit the curvature of the upper pot and match the profile of the original gasket, (2) inverting the threaded retainer cup to overcome the lack of a recess in the new gasket, and (3) using a thicker sealing gasket between the retainer cup and the upper pot.

        Hope the information helps.
        Regards,
        John A.