Kory Dru

  • Christine Hartmann
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 15, 2012
      Hi gang,

      I was at a thrift yesterday and saw a Kory Dru for $2.00, at least I think it was. It was definitely a Kory, but I'm not sure about the rest; I didn't write it down. I was going to get it, but remembered what I had read on this site about filters. This one had no filter, just the two glass components. Is there any way to use some kind of substitute for the filter? If there has been previous discussion on this topic, I can't find it. I can't locate the search bar on this site. (If I'm using incorrect terminology, just roll your eyes and feel sorry for me. My cousin tells me I need a remedial course in computer terminology. I call what I think is actually the cursor "the arrow").

      Christine - Mpls

      P.S.: I'm sure there's something, or will be something, for sale on e-bay, but I don't want to go that route. It rankles me that people are picking up things they can't identify at garage sales, then taking a picture and charging an astronomical amount for the item. On top of that, I have seen a lot of $10.00 shipping charges for items that weigh a few ounces. For example, I collect vintage Tupperware, just for fun. The pieces I find for $.79 are selling for $30.00 - $40.00 plus $10.00 shipping. The Kory Dru is not a coveted last piece to a collection I'm obsessed with completing, so I don't want to go to extraordinary lengths to buy a filter. I'm not interested in a $2.00 coffee maker with a $15.00 filter. Just sayin'. But if there is another way to do this, I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 15, 2012
        Christine,

        Ebay is like everywhere else, you can find an item grossly overpriced and you can often find a more common one very reasonable. One thing about ebay these days I consider is gasoline cost. If I have to drive around for three months looking for something I want have I really saved anything by paying 6.99 for it and $6.00 shipping?    In fact I just purchased a lamp that I paid about 5.00 more than I purchased one for in a shop some while back. However that shop is an hour from my home and the cost to drive up and get the lamp, (if they had one at the old price) was probably about twice what the seller wanted to ship it to me. Plus the time it would take to make the trip.

        As to the cost of a cory filter. Again if I found a pot for 2.00 (which in thrift shops I have as well), then finding a filter for a few dollars as does  happen and spending 5.00 to ship it wouldn't seem unreasonable.

        As a seller as well on Ebay from time to time I can tell you first hand that at times sellers end up paying more for shipping than they charged. I know I have any number of times. The post office has raised basic prices over the years especially priority can be very costly compared to parcel post or first class if its light enough to go that way.  Often if I see an item and it appears its over priced on shipping I will send a note through the "ask seller a question" link and inquire if they can ship the item for a bit less than the listed price. Often the price is a close guess of what the packed item will weigh and when you get to the post office it can be a bit lower than one thinks. In that case if its off  by more than a dollar or so I refund the difference to the buyer.

        Bottom line I guess it depends on how badly you want a bargain that works. At least in the near term. You might wait an run across the very filter rod you need for a dollar at a sale but to me if I wanted to use the pot then having purchased a reasonable cost filter would be worth it.

        good luck

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 15, 2012
          Larry,  You are so right about penny-wise and pound-foolish.  I do count my cost of gas, but generally not my time because the roaming around and rummaging around is very relaxing to me personally.  I know this would not be the case for everyone. Also, for me personally, I'm not invested in trying this thing, it would just be fun, if cheap enough.  I have never tasted vac coffee, so it would be very experimental.  There is a tube that runs from the top piece into the bottom piece, but I'm guessing that is NOT the filter.  I was expecting the filter to be some kind of cloth item.  Is there somewhere on the collector's group site that shows all necessary pieces for one of these things?  That would probably be the best place for me to start so that I know what I'm looking for.  I can probably do a general web engine search, as well, to see if I can find a diagram of some sort.

          As always, thanks for the reply!

          Christine-Mpls

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 15, 2012
            Christine,

            In the Photos section you will find lots of photos of cory pots and rods along with some literature. Generally the filters are referred to as Cory Glass Filter Rods. They are always on ebay if you just want to look at them.  Its a long glass rod with a sort of bumpy round shape that sits in the bottom of the pot and allows the water to raise up to the top and the grounds to be for the most part contained in the upper chamber when the water withdraws after brewing. The instructions for vac pots is also in the albums and you will be able to read all about how they work.. If your really concerned about spending any thing on it then I would first determine if the Seal is good on the upper chamber. It should sit somewhat snugly on the lower pot so that it will create a vacuum that will cause the water to raise when heated. Then it pulls it back down ward after brewing which is usually a couple minutes or so depending on how strong or how much coffee is used.

            To test your pots put the lower pot two thirds full of water on a gas burner or an electric only if you have a heat diffuser for glass pots on the element or it will break for sure. The diffusers for use on the coffee pots can again be purchased for a few dollars at a hardware store or even walmart at times. Another way if you have none is to simply bend a metal coat hanger into a ziz zag kind of pattern that will hold the glass off the direct heat. Use only the medium burners on an electric stove.   If your seal is good then a rod is the next step and your ready to brew coffee. As in all things it might take a few tries to get the amount of water and coffee grounds right.

            Read over the instructions for it and I think your going to see how simple they are once you understand it.

            Your right about the fun of going Junking. I don't mind at all and as you say enjoy it, but living out where most shops are some way from my home I do have to consider the cost of adding a couple hundred miles on the car which often happens when we go out looking from town to town.

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 15, 2012
              Christine,

              I checked on ebay and at the moment several on coming up ending in a day or so and one has two rods for 3.99 (not that it will end there) and 5.50 shipping. Most others are higher.  You can sometimes spot one in an antique mall or junk store for about that price less shipping.

              I did my search for "cord rod".

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 15, 2012
                Hey Larry,

                Thanks for the information in this post, as well as the associated longer post.  Very useful information, and I will check out e-bay as well, just for curiosity.  I live in a metro area, so I have five well-stocked thrift stores within about a six mile radius.  It sounds like you live in a more rural area, which I would love, but of course that does mean transportation costs become significant.  The ONE most important thing I learned in college was in a labor economics class:  All aspects of life involve a cost/benefit analysis.  Your benefit is living in a nice spot, but there are additional costs involved in some other parts of that life.  It's probably just as well that you have to think twice about casual excursions, because you are not tempted to buy $2.00 vacuum pots that you don't need and have no space for.

                Christine

                ________________________________
[...]

              • lobsterboy582000
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 16, 2012
                  --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Hartmann" <opinicize@...> wrote:

                  > P.S.: I'm sure there's something, or will be something, for sale on e-bay, but I don't want to go that route. It rankles me that people are picking up things they can't identify at garage sales, then taking a picture and charging an astronomical amount for the item. On top of that, I have seen a lot of $10.00 shipping charges for items that weigh a few ounces. For example, I collect vintage Tupperware, just for fun. The pieces I find for $.79 are selling for $30.00 - $40.00 plus $10.00 shipping.

                  The Kory Dru is not a coveted last piece to a collection I'm obsessed with completing, so I don't want to go to extraordinary lengths to buy a filter. I'm not interested in a $2.00 coffee maker with a $15.00 filter. Just sayin'. But if there is another way to do this, I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

                  I don't get rankled by unduly high opening bids on ebay items, I would already have some idea of the relative value of the item and I wouldn't bid, basic buyer beware. Those sellers are wasting their own time, imo.

                  I do a little buying and selling vintage too (including tupperware), I always offer shipping options, pack economically and charge only actual shipping cost. Again, when bidding on ebay, I consider shipping options as part of total cost.

                  Anyway, about the coffeemaker. A look at ebay purchase history shows a constant stream of Cory rods going by, some inexplicably get bid up, others go for $.99 (plus shipping). So, no extraordinary lengths or expense necessary to get the appropriate filter, just patience. Heck, you might find one at a thrift store.

                  However, I will suggest that your unwillingness to commit $17 to vacuum-brewed coffee tells me your interest is too low, why bother?

                  I discovered vacuum brewing years ago when I was researching coffee science. For me, it's the best extraction method (next to espresso, which is a different thing).

                  Now I roast and hand grind my own coffee beans three times a week, and brew in one of 30 or so vintage vacpots I have. Even though I have an absurd number of them, if I saw your $2 Cory in a thrift store, I would have bought that too, lol.
                • Christine Hartmann
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 16, 2012
                    Hey lobsterboy,

                    You read that right.  Very low interest; I only first heard about this method of brewing from this group, which I stumbled upon trying to identify a vintage carafe I had found.  This is the only group that came close to having the info I was looking for, and the interesting "coffee talk" got me hooked.  I am mildly curious to taste vacuum brewed coffee, but not curious enough to spend any of my (coveted vintage) Tupperware money on shipping.

                    As for ebay, I must admit I just don't get it.  It seems to work well, but again, very low interest.  I will be at the thrift store anyway, so if I find something, I have obtained it with free shipping.  If I don't find something, I didn't need it.  Apparently this is very odd, and yet I feel so normal.  But I do want to take a look at ebay, just for fun, and appreciate your research into filter purchase history.  I didn't know there was such a thing.  This is my first ever computer, and I've only had it for about six months.  (I'm going kicking and screaming into the twentieth century).

                    If you lived close to me, I would buy you this glass combo for your collection, or to use for spare parts.  Does anyone every break any of these things?  I'm so sure I would.  Also impressed with your research into coffee science.  Who knew?  Sounds interesting, but you lost me with the roasting of the beans.  I do my own cooking, or at least food prep in the case of a lot of salads, and already have so many dishes to do.  I don't want to add another procedure to my culinary efforts.

                     Christine-Mpls

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 23, 2012
                      You do your own food prep, so you appreciate that a salad is only as good as the quality of the ingredients.

                      Preparing coffee is cooking too of course- used to be commonly done at home. I wanted a better cup of coffee, since roasted coffee stales quickly, home roasting is the way. Green coffee can be kept months. It is more procedure and effort as you say.

                      Making local discoveries while thrifting and fleamarketing is great. Ebay is nice, esp for collectors: a lot of vacpots out there go on ebay that I never would have seen otherwise. Occasionally I sell things on ebay (like vintage tupperware), to fund the vacpot collecting.

                      Art

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 23, 2012
                        Hi Art,

                        Luckily I have low standards when it comes to taste.  I can exist on Dollar Store coffee, and other pretty cheap groceries, too.  I do my own cooking/prep because it makes the most sense to me financially.  So I know that I sound like a curmudgeon, but I must explain myself.  I personally know of numerous (more than several, i.e. more than three) people who never have any money, never have enough money, can't pay bills, need assistance with heat, child care, health care, etc.; down to their last five dollars and that's all they have for cat food for the month.  Then they show up with new boots, new car, latest cell phone, latest electronic gadget, $5.00 coffee in hand, after just getting back from Cabo for their sister's wedding, or a nice dinner out.  And I wonder what gives:  in my family, if you couldn't afford something you couldn't afford it  I get the impression that now everyone deserves anything and everything they want, and when they run
                        out of money, the rest of us are supposed to subsidize them.  So that's my complaint about the shipping charges on e-bay.  I have a sneaking suspicion that people are buying what they want with no regard to how long it takes them to earn the after tax money to ship an item that I can find at the Thrift Store for $.79.  So in the spirit of not being a hypocrite, I can't justify these things for myself, either.