Re: [vacpot] Re: Bowl Holder

  • Dave Leonard
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 31, 2012
      After reading all these, I had to comment. I've been dumping my grounds straight down the drain (city drain) for 25 years without a single problem. The grounds are so small and fine that they never clog. I've even read that they act like fine sandblasting granules and help keep pipes clean. I never have a mess. I just take the funnel off the brewer, lay it on a towel with the lower end (stem) hanging over the sink while I pour my coffee and wash the bowl. By then the funnel has cooled, so I rinse the grounds down the drain. No muss, no fuss.

      I have no idea what this will do to a septic system.

      Dave in Michigan

      The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
        I put all my grounds in the flower/herb bed just off my front porch, and I have a newly established bed that I am treating with grounds from a local coffee shop. I figure the clay soils here can't really get too much more acidic (or I can add a little lime), and the grounds will help add some desperately needed organic material. It also works really well for acid loving plants like azaleas and blueberries.

        Mark

        Sent from my iPad

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
          Pamela,

          Yes I too dispose of my grounds either on the gardens or just toss them out on the lawn, if I feel like it I make take them to the compost pile as well. I had heard a long time ago that coffee grounds could result in plumbing problems also.  I just heard that Moles don't care for them and will avoid ground they are sprinkled on. Although personally I doubt it would do much good. We have an total invasion of them around here this year and I don't see much difference in the areas that I toss my grounds on and those I don't.

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
            Dave,

            Septic systems probably are more prone to trouble because they depend on water traversing a set of deep tanks and most likely would settle into the bottom and just sit there over time.  I know from my experience here in the country where the kitchen sink used to simply drain into a low spot in the yard the it would clog up from time to time and often the coffee grounds were packed into the pipe preventing the water from flowing. That took into consideration that tree routes and old piping were no doubt adding to the resistance to move down the route. Too a system with limited water will not push as much as one that has access to large amounts of flowing water on a regular basis.

> [...]

            > > > disposal. After it cools a bit, I release the filter gently leaving it
            > > > all inside. Then I turn on the water and flush it all down into the
            > > > disposal, rinsing off the filter at the same time. Then I pull out the
            > > > coffee pot top and run the disposal. I never get grinds anywhere else
            > > > anymore.
            > > >
            > > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
            > > > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "John A."

            > > > plate after the coffee is done. Most of the grounds will remain stuck
            > > > to the filter and the bottom of the pot, and the plate is large enough
            > > > to catch any grounds and coffee that do happen to run out. Much more
            > > > stable than using a glass, and you can slide it out of the way until
            > > > it's time to wash it. Welcome to the group.

            > > > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "Stephen"

            > > > top pot into a large glass after my brewing is completed.

          • Chuck Neville
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
              It seems that many of you have lots of experience with c50s. What do
              you think the average life span of one of
              these babies is. I had one which I got on ebay that lasted about 3 or 4
              years and now I am on my second one. I
              use mine every day once. The thing that drew me to this coffe maker in
              the first place was that I can't use those
              drip machines seeing that I have fairly hard water and in no time they
              are sputtering and spitting and hardly
              any water is getting through. I have thought of trying an electric
              percolator but wasn't sure how well they work.
              We like the convenience of an electric model.

              Chuck.

              On 2/01/12 8:28 AM, Mark Hartman wrote:

              > I put all my grounds in the flower/herb bed just off my front porch,
              > and I have a newly established bed that I am treating with grounds
              > from a local coffee shop. I figure the clay soils here can't really
              > get too much more acidic (or I can add a little lime), and the grounds
              > will help add some desperately needed organic material. It also works
              > really well for acid loving plants like azaleas and blueberries.
              >
              > Mark
              >
              > Sent from my iPad
              >
              > On Jan 31, 2012, at 23:16, "pclark02" <pclark02@...
              > <mailto:pclark02%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
              >
              > > Herm,
              > >
              > > I love your method! I used to put all my coffee grounds in the
              > compost heap but I'm not keeping one just now - your way gets them out
              > there, too! I forgot to mention my husband installs the upgrade
              > disposals and we've never had issues with clogging. Do people still
              > put fresh grounds around their plants, I wonder?
              > >
              > > Pamela

            • Dave Leonard
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
                Have you tried running a half a pot of straight vinegar through your drip brewer once a month? This works on my hard water problem on any of my brewers.

                Dave in Michigan

                The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                ________________________________
                It seems that many of you have lots of experience with c50s. What do
                you think the average life span of one of
                these babies is. I had one which I got on ebay that lasted about 3 or 4
                years and now I am on my second one. I
                use mine every day once. The thing that drew me to this coffe maker in
                the first place was that I can't use those
                drip machines seeing that I have fairly hard water and in no time they
                are sputtering and spitting and hardly
                any water is getting through. I have thought of trying an electric
                percolator but wasn't sure how well they work.
                We like the convenience of an electric model.

                Chuck.

                On 2/01/12 8:28 AM, Mark Hartman wrote:

                > I put all my grounds in the flower/herb bed just off my front porch,
                > and I have a newly established bed that I am treating with grounds
                > from a local coffee shop. I figure the clay soils here can't really
                > get too much more acidic (or I can add a little lime), and the grounds
                > will help add some desperately needed organic material. It also works
                > really well for acid loving plants like azaleas and blueberries.
                >
                > Mark
                >
                > Sent from my iPad
                >
                > On Jan 31, 2012, at 23:16, "pclark02" <pclark02@...
                > <mailto:pclark02%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                >
                > > Herm,
                > >
                > > I love your method! I used to put all my coffee grounds in the
                > compost heap but I'm not keeping one just now - your way gets them out
                > there, too! I forgot to mention my husband installs the upgrade
                > disposals and we've never had issues with clogging. Do people still
                > put fresh grounds around their plants, I wonder?
                > >
                > > Pamela

              • Chuck Neville
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
                  I have tried the vinegar but it doesn't really seem to get all of the
                  scale. The life span of these drip type
                  brewers is not very long at all in my house.

                  Chuck

                  On 2/01/12 1:50 PM, Dave Leonard wrote:

                  > Have you tried running a half a pot of straight vinegar through your
                  > drip brewer once a month? This works on my hard water problem on any
                  > of my brewers.
                  >
                  > Dave in Michigan
                  >

                  > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,
                  >
                  > ________________________________
                  > From: Chuck Neville <chuckneville@...

                • John A.
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
                    Chuck,

                    How did the C50 die? Like I've mentioned before, in my view, the quality of the C50 just does not match that of the earlier C30's. Unlike the open base of the C30's which allows for air flow, the C50 is a sealed, watertight unit. The heat builds up, taking a toll on the electromechanical parts. A couple of other weaknesses I've seen are the locking tabs on the upper pot wear out and don't fully compress the O-ring, so sometimes the pot will lift off during brewing; and the quality of the chrome plating inside the lower pot is thin and wears away easily. However, everything except the main heating element in the C50 is repairable/replaceable, though new chrome plating might be a bit difficult. In my experience, a C30C with a good gasket and a switch that is kept dry and properly adjusted will last indefinitely.

                    John A.

                    --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Neville <chuckneville@...> wrote:

                    > It seems that many of you have lots of experience with c50s. What do
                    > you think the average life span of one of
                    > these babies is. I had one which I got on ebay that lasted about 3 or 4
                    > years and now I am on my second one. I
                    > use mine every day once. The thing that drew me to this coffe maker in
                    > the first place was that I can't use those
                    > drip machines seeing that I have fairly hard water and in no time they
                    > are sputtering and spitting and hardly
                    > any water is getting through. I have thought of trying an electric
                    > percolator but wasn't sure how well they work.
                    > We like the convenience of an electric model.
                    >

                    > Chuck.
                  • Chuck Neville
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
                      The problem for me was around the plug. It seems that a lot of heat
                      develops where the plug fits onto the two
                      pins. In this case the pins became loose. I took it apart and put a
                      new washer and tightened up the little nuts
                      that held the pins in place. A little further down the road the plastic
                      which held the pins deteriorated to the point
                      that the pins had no foundation. On my present one I am noticing that
                      the pins are staying in good shape but
                      part of the plastic on the plug itself is starting to melt away and
                      disappear. I was led to believe by a rather scholarly
                      article written on the net about these coffee makers that the only one
                      worth buying was the C50 as the others had
                      different drawbacks such as difficulties with the filters and having to
                      replace a cloth? filter in the C30. But what you
                      say seems to put a different light on things. I don't find any problem
                      with the spring steel, nylon type filter in my
                      C 50. Can you use the same one in the C30. If so and the pot
                      mechanical parts of the machine will keep on going forever
                      then that seems to be the best choice.
                      Also as to the chrome plating on the lower pot. I think I have
                      scrubbed most of it away. I still use it. Do you think that
                      this really adversely effects the coffee? I don't find any problems
                      with the taste. Thanks for the feedback.

                      Chuck

                      On 2/06/12 11:38 AM, John A. wrote:

                      > Chuck,
                      >
                      > How did the C50 die? Like I've mentioned before, in my view, the
                      > quality of the C50 just does not match that of the earlier C30's.
                      > Unlike the open base of the C30's which allows for air flow, the C50
                      > is a sealed, watertight unit. The heat builds up, taking a toll on the
                      > electromechanical parts. A couple of other weaknesses I've seen are
                      > the locking tabs on the upper pot wear out and don't fully compress
                      > the O-ring, so sometimes the pot will lift off during brewing; and the
                      > quality of the chrome plating inside the lower pot is thin and wears
                      > away easily. However, everything except the main heating element in
                      > the C50 is repairable/replaceable, though new chrome plating might be
                      > a bit difficult. In my experience, a C30C with a good gasket and a
                      > switch that is kept dry and properly adjusted will last indefinitely.
                      >
                      > John A.
                      >
                      > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, Chuck Neville
                      > <chuckneville@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > It seems that many of you have lots of experience with c50s. What do
                      > > you think the average life span of one of
                      > > these babies is. I had one which I got on ebay that lasted about 3 or 4
                      > > years and now I am on my second one. I
                      > > use mine every day once. The thing that drew me to this coffe maker in
                      > > the first place was that I can't use those
                      > > drip machines seeing that I have fairly hard water and in no time they
                      > > are sputtering and spitting and hardly
                      > > any water is getting through. I have thought of trying an electric
                      > > percolator but wasn't sure how well they work.
                      > > We like the convenience of an electric model.
                      > >

                      > > Chuck.

                    • John A.
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
                        Actually, what you are describing about the terminal plug on the cord is pretty common to all coffee pots, especially ones that are used daily. The connectors in a new cord will grip the pins tightly, making a solid electrical connection. Over time, the connectors in the cord end get looser, then you begin to lose that good, tight connection, which causes overheating at the pins; the result is then as you describe. At one time, you could buy a replacement end for coffee pot cords at the hardware store, but now you just buy the whole cord when the old one is worn out. Around $5.00.

                        If the plating in your pot is worn away, then copper is leaching into your coffee. Some say it's bad and some don't mind. I actually think it does affect the taste in a negative way.

                        If you decide to go with a C30, the most important thing is to keep the switch dry. Do that and keep it clean and adjusted, and you will have about the best electric coffee maker around. Here is the rundown on Coffeemaster filter systems:

                      • Chuck Neville
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
                          Thanks/ You are my sunbeam coffeemaster guru.

                          Chuck

                          On 2/06/12 12:52 PM, John A. wrote:

> [...]
                          > the
                          > > > electromechanical parts. A couple of other weaknesses I've seen are
                          > > > the locking tabs on the upper pot wear out and don't fully compress
                          > > > the O-ring, so sometimes the pot will lift off during brewing; and
                          > the
                          > > > quality of the chrome plating inside the lower pot is thin and wears
                          > > > away easily. However, everything except the main heating element in
                          > > > the C50 is repairable/replaceable, though new chrome plating might be
                          > > > a bit difficult. In my experience, a C30C with a good gasket and a
                          > > > switch that is kept dry and properly adjusted will last indefinitely.
                          > > >
                          > > > John A.
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > > > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, Chuck Neville

                        • rsburritt
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 16, 2013
                            John,
                            Thank you for the excellent pictorial rundown on the coffeemaster filters. I haven't used my vac pots in a few years but recently started again (after acquiring some new ones) and this was very helpful.

                            Roland

                            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "John A." <kreuzueber.halbmond@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > Unlike the open base of the C30's which allows for air flow, the C50
                            > > > is a sealed, watertight unit. The heat builds up, taking a toll on the
                            > > > electromechanical parts. A couple of other weaknesses I've seen are
                            > > > the locking tabs on the upper pot wear out and don't fully compress
                            > > > the O-ring, so sometimes the pot will lift off during brewing; and the
                            > > > quality of the chrome plating inside the lower pot is thin and wears
                            > > > away easily. However, everything except the main heating element in
                            > > > the C50 is repairable/replaceable, though new chrome plating might be
                            > > > a bit difficult. In my experience, a C30C with a good gasket and a
                            > > > switch that is kept dry and properly adjusted will last indefinitely.
                            > > >
                            > > > John A.
                            > > >
                            > > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                            > > > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, Chuck Neville

                          • John A.
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 17, 2013
                              You are welcome, Roland. The last production of these is the best. It has the mesh filter with the six support spokes, the small "bypass rivet," and the permanent silicone rubber ring. I've been using the same one for years, only needing to soak it every couple of months in some Urnex Cafiza solution to keep it fresh.

                              John A.

                              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "rsburritt" <rsburritt@...> wrote:

                              > John,
                              > Thank you for the excellent pictorial rundown on the coffeemaster filters. I haven't used my vac pots in a few years but recently started again (after acquiring some new ones) and this was very helpful.
                              >
                              > Roland
                              >
                              > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "John A." <kreuzueber.halbmond@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Actually, what you are describing about the terminal plug on the cord is pretty common to all coffee pots, especially ones that are used daily. The connectors in a new cord will grip the pins tightly, making a solid electrical connection. Over time, the connectors in the cord end get looser, then you begin to lose that good, tight connection, which causes overheating at the pins; the result is then as you describe. At one time, you could buy a replacement end for coffee pot cords at the hardware store, but now you just buy the whole cord when the old one is worn out. Around $5.00.
                              > >
                              > > If the plating in your pot is worn away, then copper is leaching into your coffee. Some say it's bad and some don't mind. I actually think it does affect the taste in a negative way.
                              > >
                              > > If you decide to go with a C30, the most important thing is to keep the switch dry. Do that and keep it clean and adjusted, and you will have about the best electric coffee maker around. Here is the rundown on Coffeemaster filter systems:

                              > > John A.
                              > >

                              > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Neville <chuckneville@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > The problem for me was around the plug. It seems that a lot of heat
                              > > > develops where the plug fits onto the two
                              > > > pins. In this case the pins became loose. I took it apart and put a
                              > > > new washer and tightened up the little nuts
                              > > > that held the pins in place. A little further down the road the plastic
                              > > > which held the pins deteriorated to the point
                              > > > that the pins had no foundation. On my present one I am noticing that
                              > > > the pins are staying in good shape but
                              > > > part of the plastic on the plug itself is starting to melt away and
                              > > > disappear. I was led to believe by a rather scholarly
                              > > > article written on the net about these coffee makers that the only one
                              > > > worth buying was the C50 as the others had
                              > > > different drawbacks such as difficulties with the filters and having to
                              > > > replace a cloth? filter in the C30. But what you
                              > > > say seems to put a different light on things. I don't find any problem
                              > > > with the spring steel, nylon type filter in my
                              > > > C 50. Can you use the same one in the C30. If so and the pot
                              > > > mechanical parts of the machine will keep on going forever
                              > > > then that seems to be the best choice.
                              > > > Also as to the chrome plating on the lower pot. I think I have
                              > > > scrubbed most of it away. I still use it. Do you think that
                              > > > this really adversely effects the coffee? I don't find any problems
                              > > > with the taste. Thanks for the feedback.
                              > > >
                              > > > Chuck

                            • Roland
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 18, 2013
                                I was fortunate that I recently picked up a couple of coffeemasters very
                                cheap that had one complete last-model assembly, plus an extra mesh filter
                                (the one with the permanent silicone ring) and as a bonus.the elusive
                                coffeemaster upper bowl stand. I still haven't used the coffee master
                                because I need a good lower with good plating and a new seal for the upper.
                                But the coffeemaster filter works great in other pots.

                                Roland

                                <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com> , "John A." wrote:

                                > > Actually, what you are describing about the terminal plug on the cord is
                                pretty common to all coffee pots, especially ones that are used daily. The
                                connectors in a new cord will grip the pins tightly, making a solid
                                electrical connection. Over time, the connectors in the cord end get looser,
                                then you begin to lose that good, tight connection, which causes overheating
                                at the pins; the result is then as you describe. At one time, you could buy
                                a replacement end for coffee pot cords at the hardware store, but now you
                                just buy the whole cord when the old one is worn out. Around $5.00.

                                > > If the plating in your pot is worn away, then copper is leaching into
                                your coffee. Some say it's bad and some don't mind. I actually think it does
                                affect the taste in a negative way.

                                > > If you decide to go with a C30, the most important thing is to keep the
                                switch dry. Do that and keep it clean and adjusted, and you will have about
                                the best electric coffee maker around. Here is the rundown on Coffeemaster
                                filter systems:

                                96/pic/list