Bowl Holder

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 24, 2012
      Hello,

      I'm new to the group and I have a Sunbeam C30A. I always put the top pot into a large glass after my brewing is completed.

      That said, I'm afraid one day things may tip over and my perfect pot will wind up with a huge dent!

      What do other members use to hold the top pot after brewing is completed?

      Stephen
    • John A.
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 24, 2012
        Hi, Stephen.
        I just turn the top pot of my Coffeemaster upside down onto a salad plate after the coffee is done. Most of the grounds will remain stuck to the filter and the bottom of the pot, and the plate is large enough to catch any grounds and coffee that do happen to run out. Much more stable than using a glass, and you can slide it out of the way until it's time to wash it. Welcome to the group.
        Regards,
        John A.

        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 24, 2012
          Stephen,

          Several companies produced a steel sort of large round foot with an extended smaller one that the is up in the air and will hold the top in place.  They show up from time to time on ebay and we probably have photos of some in the photo section as well.  Personally I find that a plain quart sized tupperwear type freezer box will allow me to just set the top right in it and when it cools I just run some hot water in the top and swirl it around while lifting out the filter system, that lets most of the grounds go down into the container which I then empty.  It might usually take a couple rinses to get all the grounds to go into the bottom.

          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 25, 2012
            I brew very close to the sink. I take the top off and set it down inside the garbage disposal sink with the cone sticking down in the disposal. After it cools a bit, I release the filter gently leaving it all inside. Then I turn on the water and flush it all down into the disposal, rinsing off the filter at the same time. Then I pull out the coffee pot top and run the disposal. I never get grinds anywhere else anymore.

            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "John A." <kreuzueber.halbmond@...> wrote:

            > Hi, Stephen.
            > I just turn the top pot of my Coffeemaster upside down onto a salad plate after the coffee is done. Most of the grounds will remain stuck to the filter and the bottom of the pot, and the plate is large enough to catch any grounds and coffee that do happen to run out. Much more stable than using a glass, and you can slide it out of the way until it's time to wash it. Welcome to the group.
            > Regards,
            > John A.
            >
            > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <tnswt12@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > I'm new to the group and I have a Sunbeam C30A. I always put the top pot into a large glass after my brewing is completed.
            > >
            > > That said, I'm afraid one day things may tip over and my perfect pot will wind up with a huge dent!
            > >
            > > What do other members use to hold the top pot after brewing is completed?
            > >
            > > Stephen

          • Herm L. Harrison
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 25, 2012
              We have a dish drainer on one side of the sink. I place the top between
              the drainer and edge of the sink and allow it to cool for a few
              minutes. I then take it to the back door along with a pitcher of water,
              step onto the porch and pour a little water into the top, swirl it
              around to loosen the grounds and pour them onto the ground below. After
              a couple of rinses, I remove the filter and rinse it. Then I bring the
              whole thing back inside and wipe down the inside of the top, reinstall
              the filter and set it back on the base.

              As we live on a septic system, I'm careful to keep the grounds out of
              the drain lest they plug the drain field. Coffee grounds are bad to
              clog any drain so you have to be careful.

              Herm L. Harrison
              Foster Transformer Company
              3820 Colerain Avenue
              Cincinnati, OH 45223-2586
              (800)963-9799
              (513)681-2420, ext. 111
              (513)681-2424
              herm.harrison@...
              http://www.foster-transformer.com

              On 01/25/2012 12:25 PM, pclark02 wrote:

              > I brew very close to the sink. I take the top off and set it down
              > inside the garbage disposal sink with the cone sticking down in the
              > disposal. After it cools a bit, I release the filter gently leaving it
              > all inside. Then I turn on the water and flush it all down into the
              > disposal, rinsing off the filter at the same time. Then I pull out the
              > coffee pot top and run the disposal. I never get grinds anywhere else
              > anymore.
              >
              > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "John A."
              > <kreuzueber.halbmond@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Hi, Stephen.
              > > I just turn the top pot of my Coffeemaster upside down onto a salad
              > plate after the coffee is done. Most of the grounds will remain stuck
              > to the filter and the bottom of the pot, and the plate is large enough
              > to catch any grounds and coffee that do happen to run out. Much more
              > stable than using a glass, and you can slide it out of the way until
              > it's time to wash it. Welcome to the group.
              > > Regards,
              > > John A.
              > >
              > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "Stephen"
              > <tnswt12@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello,
              > > >
              > > > I'm new to the group and I have a Sunbeam C30A. I always put the
              > top pot into a large glass after my brewing is completed.
              > > >
              > > > That said, I'm afraid one day things may tip over and my perfect
              > pot will wind up with a huge dent!
              > > >
              > > > What do other members use to hold the top pot after brewing is
              > completed?
              > > >
              > > > Stephen

            • Diana Petzar
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 25, 2012
                I still do this - my mother had us use the lid to catch drips from the funnel under the top while we put the top in the sink - then we put the lid back on the pot. When cool & convenient we wash the top out.

                Diana in Seattle

                - snip -
              • Stephen
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 26, 2012
                  Herm,

                  A most interesting ritual! And to do it in Cincinnati on a cold morning must be breathtaking too.

                  I can identify with you when you say that you are mindful of not introducing coffee grinds to the septic system because it is one of the worst things one can do if living with a septic tank.

                  We do too live with one, so at no time do we let a grind come close to the sink drain!

                  Stephen

                  --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Herm L. Harrison" <herm.harrison@...> wrote:

                  > We have a dish drainer on one side of the sink. I place the top between
                  > the drainer and edge of the sink and allow it to cool for a few
                  > minutes. I then take it to the back door along with a pitcher of water,
                  > step onto the porch and pour a little water into the top, swirl it
                  > around to loosen the grounds and pour them onto the ground below. After
                  > a couple of rinses, I remove the filter and rinse it. Then I bring the
                  > whole thing back inside and wipe down the inside of the top, reinstall
                  > the filter and set it back on the base.
                  >
                  > As we live on a septic system, I'm careful to keep the grounds out of
                  > the drain lest they plug the drain field. Coffee grounds are bad to
                  > clog any drain so you have to be careful.
                  >
                  > Herm L. Harrison
                  > Foster Transformer Company
                  > 3820 Colerain Avenue
                  > Cincinnati, OH 45223-2586
                  > (800)963-9799
                  > (513)681-2420, ext. 111
                  > (513)681-2424
                  > herm.harrison@...
                  > http://www.foster-transformer.com
                  >

                  > On 01/25/2012 12:25 PM, pclark02 wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I brew very close to the sink. I take the top off and set it down
                  > > inside the garbage disposal sink with the cone sticking down in the
                  > > disposal. After it cools a bit, I release the filter gently leaving it
                  > > all inside. Then I turn on the water and flush it all down into the
                  > > disposal, rinsing off the filter at the same time. Then I pull out the
                  > > coffee pot top and run the disposal. I never get grinds anywhere else
                  > > anymore.
                  > >
                  > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                  > > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "John A."
                  > > <kreuzueber.halbmond@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Hi, Stephen.
                  > > > I just turn the top pot of my Coffeemaster upside down onto a salad
                  > > plate after the coffee is done. Most of the grounds will remain stuck
                  > > to the filter and the bottom of the pot, and the plate is large enough
                  > > to catch any grounds and coffee that do happen to run out. Much more
                  > > stable than using a glass, and you can slide it out of the way until
                  > > it's time to wash it. Welcome to the group.
                  > > > Regards,
                  > > > John A.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                  > > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "Stephen"

                  > > top pot into a large glass after my brewing is completed.

                  > > pot will wind up with a huge dent!

                  > > completed?

                • Stephen
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 26, 2012
                    pclark02,

                    Ugh, I can't do that:)

                    I live with a septic tank and I could never let a coffee grind come close to my sink drain. City sewage though is another issue all together.

                    Stephen

                    --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "pclark02" <pclark02@...> wrote:

                    > I brew very close to the sink. I take the top off and set it down inside the garbage disposal sink with the cone sticking down in the disposal. After it cools a bit, I release the filter gently leaving it all inside. Then I turn on the water and flush it all down into the disposal, rinsing off the filter at the same time. Then I pull out the coffee pot top and run the disposal. I never get grinds anywhere else anymore.
                    >
                    > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "John A." <kreuzueber.halbmond@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Hi, Stephen.
                    > > I just turn the top pot of my Coffeemaster upside down onto a salad plate after the coffee is done. Most of the grounds will remain stuck to the filter and the bottom of the pot, and the plate is large enough to catch any grounds and coffee that do happen to run out. Much more stable than using a glass, and you can slide it out of the way until it's time to wash it. Welcome to the group.
                    > > Regards,
                    > > John A.
                    > >
                    > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <tnswt12@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hello,
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm new to the group and I have a Sunbeam C30A. I always put the top pot into a large glass after my brewing is completed.
                    > > >
                    > > > That said, I'm afraid one day things may tip over and my perfect pot will wind up with a huge dent!
                    > > >
                    > > > What do other members use to hold the top pot after brewing is completed?
                    > > >
                    > > > Stephen

                  • Stephen
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 26, 2012
                      John A.,

                      I do like your use of a salad plate. A most sensible idea.

                      Stephen

                      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "John A." <kreuzueber.halbmond@...> wrote:

                      > Hi, Stephen.
                      > I just turn the top pot of my Coffeemaster upside down onto a salad plate after the coffee is done. Most of the grounds will remain stuck to the filter and the bottom of the pot, and the plate is large enough to catch any grounds and coffee that do happen to run out. Much more stable than using a glass, and you can slide it out of the way until it's time to wash it. Welcome to the group.
                      > Regards,
                      > John A.
                      >
                      > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <tnswt12@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello,
                      > >
                      > > I'm new to the group and I have a Sunbeam C30A. I always put the top pot into a large glass after my brewing is completed.
                      > >
                      > > That said, I'm afraid one day things may tip over and my perfect pot will wind up with a huge dent!
                      > >
                      > > What do other members use to hold the top pot after brewing is completed?
                      > >
                      > > Stephen

                    • Herm L. Harrison
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 26, 2012
                        The morning rinse hasn't been as bad as I was expecting, but then again,
                        we've had a mild albeit wet winter (so far). We have a door off the
                        kitchen with several steps down to the patio. Just to the left of the
                        stairs is a small area with a couple of rose bushes. I figure by
                        spring, I'll have a nice pile of grounds to distribute over the area!

                        When I acquired the Coffeemaster in the fall, my wife said it was too
                        much work and that I'd never use it, particularly after it turned cold.
                        Switching from a Bunn drip machine, the coffee is so much better that I
                        don't mind the clean-up ritual at all. I might change my mind, however,
                        the next time we have a brutally cold winter. In that case, I might
                        have to modify my routine.

                        Regards,

                        On 01/26/2012 10:10 AM, Stephen wrote:

> [...]
                        > the
                        > > > coffee pot top and run the disposal. I never get grinds anywhere else
                        > > > anymore.
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "John A."

                        > > > plate after the coffee is done. Most of the grounds will remain stuck
                        > > > to the filter and the bottom of the pot, and the plate is large
                        > enough
                        > > > to catch any grounds and coffee that do happen to run out. Much more
                        > > > stable than using a glass, and you can slide it out of the way until
                        > > > it's time to wash it. Welcome to the group.

                        > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "Stephen"

                        > > > top pot into a large glass after my brewing is completed.

                      • Brian Helfrich
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 26, 2012
                          Well, I do a similar thing except I have a compost container on the kitchen
                          sink drain board.

                          I use an plastic ice cream tub from the market. They close up tight, have a
                          handle, and last several months before they start to crack. I never have
                          any problem finding someone to help me empty out the ice cream from a new
                          container.

                          Brian

> [...]
                          >> > whole thing back inside and wipe down the inside of the top, reinstall
                          >> > the filter and set it back on the base.
                          >> >
                          >> > As we live on a septic system, I'm careful to keep the grounds out of
                          >> > the drain lest they plug the drain field. Coffee grounds are bad to
                          >> > clog any drain so you have to be careful.
                          >> >
                          >> > Herm L. Harrison
                          >> > Foster Transformer Company
                          >> > 3820 Colerain Avenue
                          >> > Cincinnati, OH 45223-2586
                          >> > (800)963-9799
                          >> > (513)681-2420, ext. 111
                          >> > (513)681-2424
                          >> > herm.harrison@...
                          >> > http://www.foster-transformer.com

                          >> leaving it
                          >> the

                          >> <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>

                          >> enough

                          >> <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>

                        • Herm L. Harrison
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 26, 2012
                            That's a very good idea. The problem in our house would be to use the
                            containers as fast as they are emptied!

                            Thank you for the suggestion.

                            On 01/26/2012 10:49 AM, Brian Helfrich wrote:

                            > Well, I do a similar thing except I have a compost container on the
                            > kitchen
                            > sink drain board.
                            >
                            > I use an plastic ice cream tub from the market. They close up tight,
                            > have a
                            > handle, and last several months before they start to crack. I never have
                            > any problem finding someone to help me empty out the ice cream from a new
                            > container.
                            >
                            > Brian

                          • John A.
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 26, 2012
                              I also have a septic system and never had a problem with letting a few coffee grounds go down the drain. However, I keep a sealed container in the kitchen where I dump my compostables - vegetable scraps, tea bags, coffee grounds, etc. So when I'm ready to wash my coffee pot, I remove the filter assembly and give it a tap on the side of the compost container, then I take the upper pot and hold my finger over the funnel tube and add a little water, give it a swirl, a release most of the grounds into the compost pail. Whatever grounds are left on the filter and in the pot get rinsed down the drain. I try to keep the upper pot away from the sink until after breakfast is finished — less chance of someone carelessly knifing the gasket or denting the bowl.

                              John A.

                              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <tnswt12@...> wrote:

                              > John A.,
                              >
                              > I do like your use of a salad plate. A most sensible idea.
                              >
                              > Stephen
                              >
                              > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "John A." <kreuzueber.halbmond@> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > Hi, Stephen.
                              > > I just turn the top pot of my Coffeemaster upside down onto a salad plate after the coffee is done. Most of the grounds will remain stuck to the filter and the bottom of the pot, and the plate is large enough to catch any grounds and coffee that do happen to run out. Much more stable than using a glass, and you can slide it out of the way until it's time to wash it. Welcome to the group.
                              > > Regards,
                              > > John A.
                              > >
                              > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <tnswt12@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Hello,
                              > > >
                              > > > I'm new to the group and I have a Sunbeam C30A. I always put the top pot into a large glass after my brewing is completed.
                              > > >
                              > > > That said, I'm afraid one day things may tip over and my perfect pot will wind up with a huge dent!
                              > > >
                              > > > What do other members use to hold the top pot after brewing is completed?
                              > > >
                              > > > Stephen

                            • Chuck Neville
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 26, 2012
                                Strange because I have been using a C50 for about 6 years and have been
                                flusing a good part of my grinds down the drain into
                                my septic system. I have a holding tank with two compartments and then
                                a weeping field which is not really burried but mounded
                                over with dirt. I never dreamed that the coffee grinds could affect the
                                system and so far I haven't seen any problems. The problem has
                                always been that when I shake the top part out into the compost pail
                                most of the grinds stays stuck so I rinse those down the drain. I would
                                like to know how those grinds damage the septic system. If they really
                                do, I should make more of an effort to rinse those grinds into the
                                compost bucket.

                                Chuck

                                On 1/26/12 10:13 AM, Stephen wrote:

                                > pclark02,
                                >
                                > Ugh, I can't do that:)
                                >
                                > I live with a septic tank and I could never let a coffee grind come
                                > close to my sink drain. City sewage though is another issue all together.
                                >
                                > Stephen
                                >
                                > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                                > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "pclark02"
                                > <pclark02@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I brew very close to the sink. I take the top off and set it down
                                > inside the garbage disposal sink with the cone sticking down in the
                                > disposal. After it cools a bit, I release the filter gently leaving it
                                > all inside. Then I turn on the water and flush it all down into the
                                > disposal, rinsing off the filter at the same time. Then I pull out the
                                > coffee pot top and run the disposal. I never get grinds anywhere else
                                > anymore.
                                > >
                                > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                                > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "John A."
                                > <kreuzueber.halbmond@> wrote:
                                > > >

                                > > > Hi, Stephen.
                                > > > I just turn the top pot of my Coffeemaster upside down onto a
                                > salad plate after the coffee is done. Most of the grounds will remain
                                > stuck to the filter and the bottom of the pot, and the plate is large
                                > enough to catch any grounds and coffee that do happen to run out. Much
                                > more stable than using a glass, and you can slide it out of the way
                                > until it's time to wash it. Welcome to the group.
                                > > > Regards,
                                > > > John A.
                                > > >
                                > > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                                > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "Stephen"

                                > top pot into a large glass after my brewing is completed.

                                > pot will wind up with a huge dent!

                                > completed?

                              • Brian Helfrich
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 26, 2012
                                  I use my fingers to clear most of the grinds into the compost container. A
                                  small amount of grinds does wind up going down the drain. We moved in to
                                  this place in 1996 and the septic system hasn't complained yet.

                                  Your fingers will smell good for quite awhile.

                                  Brian

                                  > Strange because I have been using a C50 for about 6 years and have been
                                  > flusing a good part of my grinds down the drain into
                                  > my septic system. I have a holding tank with two compartments and then
                                  > a weeping field which is not really burried but mounded
                                  > over with dirt. I never dreamed that the coffee grinds could affect the
                                  > system and so far I haven't seen any problems. The problem has
                                  > always been that when I shake the top part out into the compost pail
                                  > most of the grinds stays stuck so I rinse those down the drain. I would
                                  > like to know how those grinds damage the septic system. If they really
                                  > do, I should make more of an effort to rinse those grinds into the
                                  > compost bucket.
                                  >
                                  > Chuck
                                  >

                                  > On 1/26/12 10:13 AM, Stephen wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> pclark02,
                                  >>
                                  >> Ugh, I can't do that:)
                                  >>
                                  >> I live with a septic tank and I could never let a coffee grind come
                                  >> close to my sink drain. City sewage though is another issue all together.
                                  >>
                                  >> Stephen
                                  >>
                                  >> --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                                  >> <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "pclark02"
                                  >> <pclark02@...> wrote:
                                  >> >
                                  >> > I brew very close to the sink. I take the top off and set it down
                                  >> inside the garbage disposal sink with the cone sticking down in the
                                  >> disposal. After it cools a bit, I release the filter gently leaving it
                                  >> all inside. Then I turn on the water and flush it all down into the
                                  >> disposal, rinsing off the filter at the same time. Then I pull out the
                                  >> coffee pot top and run the disposal. I never get grinds anywhere else
                                  >> anymore.
                                  >> >
                                  >> > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                                  >> <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "John A."

                                  >> salad plate after the coffee is done. Most of the grounds will remain
                                  >> stuck to the filter and the bottom of the pot, and the plate is large
                                  >> enough to catch any grounds and coffee that do happen to run out. Much
                                  >> more stable than using a glass, and you can slide it out of the way
                                  >> until it's time to wash it. Welcome to the group.

                                  >> <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "Stephen"

                                  >> top pot into a large glass after my brewing is completed.

                                  >> pot will wind up with a huge dent!

                                  >> completed?

                                • pclark02
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 31, 2012
                                    Herm,

                                    I love your method! I used to put all my coffee grounds in the compost heap but I'm not keeping one just now - your way gets them out there, too! I forgot to mention my husband installs the upgrade disposals and we've never had issues with clogging. Do people still put fresh grounds around their plants, I wonder?

                                    Pamela

                                  • Dave Leonard
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 31, 2012
                                      After reading all these, I had to comment. I've been dumping my grounds straight down the drain (city drain) for 25 years without a single problem. The grounds are so small and fine that they never clog. I've even read that they act like fine sandblasting granules and help keep pipes clean. I never have a mess. I just take the funnel off the brewer, lay it on a towel with the lower end (stem) hanging over the sink while I pour my coffee and wash the bowl. By then the funnel has cooled, so I rinse the grounds down the drain. No muss, no fuss.

                                      I have no idea what this will do to a septic system.

                                      Dave in Michigan

                                      The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                                      ________________________________
> [...]

                                      > > > disposal. After it cools a bit, I release the filter gently leaving it
                                      > > > all inside. Then I turn on the water and flush it all down into the
                                      > > > disposal, rinsing off the filter at the same time. Then I pull out the
                                      > > > coffee pot top and run the disposal. I never get grinds anywhere else
                                      > > > anymore.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                                      > > > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "John A."

                                      > > > plate after the coffee is done. Most of the grounds will remain stuck
                                      > > > to the filter and the bottom of the pot, and the plate is large enough
                                      > > > to catch any grounds and coffee that do happen to run out. Much more
                                      > > > stable than using a glass, and you can slide it out of the way until
                                      > > > it's time to wash it. Welcome to the group.

                                      > > > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "Stephen"

                                      > > > top pot into a large glass after my brewing is completed.

                                    • Mark Hartman
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
                                        I put all my grounds in the flower/herb bed just off my front porch, and I have a newly established bed that I am treating with grounds from a local coffee shop. I figure the clay soils here can't really get too much more acidic (or I can add a little lime), and the grounds will help add some desperately needed organic material. It also works really well for acid loving plants like azaleas and blueberries.

                                        Mark

                                        Sent from my iPad

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
                                          Pamela,

                                          Yes I too dispose of my grounds either on the gardens or just toss them out on the lawn, if I feel like it I make take them to the compost pile as well. I had heard a long time ago that coffee grounds could result in plumbing problems also.  I just heard that Moles don't care for them and will avoid ground they are sprinkled on. Although personally I doubt it would do much good. We have an total invasion of them around here this year and I don't see much difference in the areas that I toss my grounds on and those I don't.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
                                            Dave,

                                            Septic systems probably are more prone to trouble because they depend on water traversing a set of deep tanks and most likely would settle into the bottom and just sit there over time.  I know from my experience here in the country where the kitchen sink used to simply drain into a low spot in the yard the it would clog up from time to time and often the coffee grounds were packed into the pipe preventing the water from flowing. That took into consideration that tree routes and old piping were no doubt adding to the resistance to move down the route. Too a system with limited water will not push as much as one that has access to large amounts of flowing water on a regular basis.

> [...]

                                            > > > disposal. After it cools a bit, I release the filter gently leaving it
                                            > > > all inside. Then I turn on the water and flush it all down into the
                                            > > > disposal, rinsing off the filter at the same time. Then I pull out the
                                            > > > coffee pot top and run the disposal. I never get grinds anywhere else
                                            > > > anymore.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                                            > > > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "John A."

                                            > > > plate after the coffee is done. Most of the grounds will remain stuck
                                            > > > to the filter and the bottom of the pot, and the plate is large enough
                                            > > > to catch any grounds and coffee that do happen to run out. Much more
                                            > > > stable than using a glass, and you can slide it out of the way until
                                            > > > it's time to wash it. Welcome to the group.

                                            > > > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, "Stephen"

                                            > > > top pot into a large glass after my brewing is completed.

                                          • Chuck Neville
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
                                              It seems that many of you have lots of experience with c50s. What do
                                              you think the average life span of one of
                                              these babies is. I had one which I got on ebay that lasted about 3 or 4
                                              years and now I am on my second one. I
                                              use mine every day once. The thing that drew me to this coffe maker in
                                              the first place was that I can't use those
                                              drip machines seeing that I have fairly hard water and in no time they
                                              are sputtering and spitting and hardly
                                              any water is getting through. I have thought of trying an electric
                                              percolator but wasn't sure how well they work.
                                              We like the convenience of an electric model.

                                              Chuck.

                                              On 2/01/12 8:28 AM, Mark Hartman wrote:

                                              > I put all my grounds in the flower/herb bed just off my front porch,
                                              > and I have a newly established bed that I am treating with grounds
                                              > from a local coffee shop. I figure the clay soils here can't really
                                              > get too much more acidic (or I can add a little lime), and the grounds
                                              > will help add some desperately needed organic material. It also works
                                              > really well for acid loving plants like azaleas and blueberries.
                                              >
                                              > Mark
                                              >
                                              > Sent from my iPad
                                              >
                                              > On Jan 31, 2012, at 23:16, "pclark02" <pclark02@...
                                              > <mailto:pclark02%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > Herm,
                                              > >
                                              > > I love your method! I used to put all my coffee grounds in the
                                              > compost heap but I'm not keeping one just now - your way gets them out
                                              > there, too! I forgot to mention my husband installs the upgrade
                                              > disposals and we've never had issues with clogging. Do people still
                                              > put fresh grounds around their plants, I wonder?
                                              > >
                                              > > Pamela

                                            • Dave Leonard
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
                                                Have you tried running a half a pot of straight vinegar through your drip brewer once a month? This works on my hard water problem on any of my brewers.

                                                Dave in Michigan

                                                The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                                                ________________________________
                                                It seems that many of you have lots of experience with c50s. What do
                                                you think the average life span of one of
                                                these babies is. I had one which I got on ebay that lasted about 3 or 4
                                                years and now I am on my second one. I
                                                use mine every day once. The thing that drew me to this coffe maker in
                                                the first place was that I can't use those
                                                drip machines seeing that I have fairly hard water and in no time they
                                                are sputtering and spitting and hardly
                                                any water is getting through. I have thought of trying an electric
                                                percolator but wasn't sure how well they work.
                                                We like the convenience of an electric model.

                                                Chuck.

                                                On 2/01/12 8:28 AM, Mark Hartman wrote:

                                                > I put all my grounds in the flower/herb bed just off my front porch,
                                                > and I have a newly established bed that I am treating with grounds
                                                > from a local coffee shop. I figure the clay soils here can't really
                                                > get too much more acidic (or I can add a little lime), and the grounds
                                                > will help add some desperately needed organic material. It also works
                                                > really well for acid loving plants like azaleas and blueberries.
                                                >
                                                > Mark
                                                >
                                                > Sent from my iPad
                                                >
                                                > On Jan 31, 2012, at 23:16, "pclark02" <pclark02@...
                                                > <mailto:pclark02%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > Herm,
                                                > >
                                                > > I love your method! I used to put all my coffee grounds in the
                                                > compost heap but I'm not keeping one just now - your way gets them out
                                                > there, too! I forgot to mention my husband installs the upgrade
                                                > disposals and we've never had issues with clogging. Do people still
                                                > put fresh grounds around their plants, I wonder?
                                                > >
                                                > > Pamela

                                              • Chuck Neville
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
                                                  I have tried the vinegar but it doesn't really seem to get all of the
                                                  scale. The life span of these drip type
                                                  brewers is not very long at all in my house.

                                                  Chuck

                                                  On 2/01/12 1:50 PM, Dave Leonard wrote:

                                                  > Have you tried running a half a pot of straight vinegar through your
                                                  > drip brewer once a month? This works on my hard water problem on any
                                                  > of my brewers.
                                                  >
                                                  > Dave in Michigan
                                                  >

                                                  > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,
                                                  >
                                                  > ________________________________
                                                  > From: Chuck Neville <chuckneville@...

                                                • John A.
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
                                                    Chuck,

                                                    How did the C50 die? Like I've mentioned before, in my view, the quality of the C50 just does not match that of the earlier C30's. Unlike the open base of the C30's which allows for air flow, the C50 is a sealed, watertight unit. The heat builds up, taking a toll on the electromechanical parts. A couple of other weaknesses I've seen are the locking tabs on the upper pot wear out and don't fully compress the O-ring, so sometimes the pot will lift off during brewing; and the quality of the chrome plating inside the lower pot is thin and wears away easily. However, everything except the main heating element in the C50 is repairable/replaceable, though new chrome plating might be a bit difficult. In my experience, a C30C with a good gasket and a switch that is kept dry and properly adjusted will last indefinitely.

                                                    John A.

                                                    --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Neville <chuckneville@...> wrote:

                                                    > It seems that many of you have lots of experience with c50s. What do
                                                    > you think the average life span of one of
                                                    > these babies is. I had one which I got on ebay that lasted about 3 or 4
                                                    > years and now I am on my second one. I
                                                    > use mine every day once. The thing that drew me to this coffe maker in
                                                    > the first place was that I can't use those
                                                    > drip machines seeing that I have fairly hard water and in no time they
                                                    > are sputtering and spitting and hardly
                                                    > any water is getting through. I have thought of trying an electric
                                                    > percolator but wasn't sure how well they work.
                                                    > We like the convenience of an electric model.
                                                    >

                                                    > Chuck.
                                                  • Chuck Neville
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
                                                      The problem for me was around the plug. It seems that a lot of heat
                                                      develops where the plug fits onto the two
                                                      pins. In this case the pins became loose. I took it apart and put a
                                                      new washer and tightened up the little nuts
                                                      that held the pins in place. A little further down the road the plastic
                                                      which held the pins deteriorated to the point
                                                      that the pins had no foundation. On my present one I am noticing that
                                                      the pins are staying in good shape but
                                                      part of the plastic on the plug itself is starting to melt away and
                                                      disappear. I was led to believe by a rather scholarly
                                                      article written on the net about these coffee makers that the only one
                                                      worth buying was the C50 as the others had
                                                      different drawbacks such as difficulties with the filters and having to
                                                      replace a cloth? filter in the C30. But what you
                                                      say seems to put a different light on things. I don't find any problem
                                                      with the spring steel, nylon type filter in my
                                                      C 50. Can you use the same one in the C30. If so and the pot
                                                      mechanical parts of the machine will keep on going forever
                                                      then that seems to be the best choice.
                                                      Also as to the chrome plating on the lower pot. I think I have
                                                      scrubbed most of it away. I still use it. Do you think that
                                                      this really adversely effects the coffee? I don't find any problems
                                                      with the taste. Thanks for the feedback.

                                                      Chuck

                                                      On 2/06/12 11:38 AM, John A. wrote:

                                                      > Chuck,
                                                      >
                                                      > How did the C50 die? Like I've mentioned before, in my view, the
                                                      > quality of the C50 just does not match that of the earlier C30's.
                                                      > Unlike the open base of the C30's which allows for air flow, the C50
                                                      > is a sealed, watertight unit. The heat builds up, taking a toll on the
                                                      > electromechanical parts. A couple of other weaknesses I've seen are
                                                      > the locking tabs on the upper pot wear out and don't fully compress
                                                      > the O-ring, so sometimes the pot will lift off during brewing; and the
                                                      > quality of the chrome plating inside the lower pot is thin and wears
                                                      > away easily. However, everything except the main heating element in
                                                      > the C50 is repairable/replaceable, though new chrome plating might be
                                                      > a bit difficult. In my experience, a C30C with a good gasket and a
                                                      > switch that is kept dry and properly adjusted will last indefinitely.
                                                      >
                                                      > John A.
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                                                      > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, Chuck Neville
                                                      > <chuckneville@...> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > It seems that many of you have lots of experience with c50s. What do
                                                      > > you think the average life span of one of
                                                      > > these babies is. I had one which I got on ebay that lasted about 3 or 4
                                                      > > years and now I am on my second one. I
                                                      > > use mine every day once. The thing that drew me to this coffe maker in
                                                      > > the first place was that I can't use those
                                                      > > drip machines seeing that I have fairly hard water and in no time they
                                                      > > are sputtering and spitting and hardly
                                                      > > any water is getting through. I have thought of trying an electric
                                                      > > percolator but wasn't sure how well they work.
                                                      > > We like the convenience of an electric model.
                                                      > >

                                                      > > Chuck.

                                                    • John A.
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
                                                        Actually, what you are describing about the terminal plug on the cord is pretty common to all coffee pots, especially ones that are used daily. The connectors in a new cord will grip the pins tightly, making a solid electrical connection. Over time, the connectors in the cord end get looser, then you begin to lose that good, tight connection, which causes overheating at the pins; the result is then as you describe. At one time, you could buy a replacement end for coffee pot cords at the hardware store, but now you just buy the whole cord when the old one is worn out. Around $5.00.

                                                        If the plating in your pot is worn away, then copper is leaching into your coffee. Some say it's bad and some don't mind. I actually think it does affect the taste in a negative way.

                                                        If you decide to go with a C30, the most important thing is to keep the switch dry. Do that and keep it clean and adjusted, and you will have about the best electric coffee maker around. Here is the rundown on Coffeemaster filter systems:

                                                      • Chuck Neville
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
                                                          Thanks/ You are my sunbeam coffeemaster guru.

                                                          Chuck

                                                          On 2/06/12 12:52 PM, John A. wrote:

> [...]
                                                          > the
                                                          > > > electromechanical parts. A couple of other weaknesses I've seen are
                                                          > > > the locking tabs on the upper pot wear out and don't fully compress
                                                          > > > the O-ring, so sometimes the pot will lift off during brewing; and
                                                          > the
                                                          > > > quality of the chrome plating inside the lower pot is thin and wears
                                                          > > > away easily. However, everything except the main heating element in
                                                          > > > the C50 is repairable/replaceable, though new chrome plating might be
                                                          > > > a bit difficult. In my experience, a C30C with a good gasket and a
                                                          > > > switch that is kept dry and properly adjusted will last indefinitely.
                                                          > > >
                                                          > > > John A.
                                                          > > >
                                                          > > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                                                          > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                          > > > <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, Chuck Neville

                                                        • rsburritt
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Feb 16, 2013
                                                            John,
                                                            Thank you for the excellent pictorial rundown on the coffeemaster filters. I haven't used my vac pots in a few years but recently started again (after acquiring some new ones) and this was very helpful.

                                                            Roland

                                                          • John A.
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Feb 17, 2013
                                                              You are welcome, Roland. The last production of these is the best. It has the mesh filter with the six support spokes, the small "bypass rivet," and the permanent silicone rubber ring. I've been using the same one for years, only needing to soak it every couple of months in some Urnex Cafiza solution to keep it fresh.

                                                              John A.

                                                              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "rsburritt" <rsburritt@...> wrote:

                                                              > John,
                                                              > Thank you for the excellent pictorial rundown on the coffeemaster filters. I haven't used my vac pots in a few years but recently started again (after acquiring some new ones) and this was very helpful.
                                                              >
                                                              > Roland
                                                              >
                                                              > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "John A." <kreuzueber.halbmond@> wrote:
                                                              > >
                                                              > > Actually, what you are describing about the terminal plug on the cord is pretty common to all coffee pots, especially ones that are used daily. The connectors in a new cord will grip the pins tightly, making a solid electrical connection. Over time, the connectors in the cord end get looser, then you begin to lose that good, tight connection, which causes overheating at the pins; the result is then as you describe. At one time, you could buy a replacement end for coffee pot cords at the hardware store, but now you just buy the whole cord when the old one is worn out. Around $5.00.
                                                              > >
                                                              > > If the plating in your pot is worn away, then copper is leaching into your coffee. Some say it's bad and some don't mind. I actually think it does affect the taste in a negative way.
                                                              > >
                                                              > > If you decide to go with a C30, the most important thing is to keep the switch dry. Do that and keep it clean and adjusted, and you will have about the best electric coffee maker around. Here is the rundown on Coffeemaster filter systems:

                                                              > > John A.
                                                              > >

                                                              > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Neville <chuckneville@> wrote:
                                                              > > >
                                                              > > > The problem for me was around the plug. It seems that a lot of heat
                                                              > > > develops where the plug fits onto the two
                                                              > > > pins. In this case the pins became loose. I took it apart and put a
                                                              > > > new washer and tightened up the little nuts
                                                              > > > that held the pins in place. A little further down the road the plastic
                                                              > > > which held the pins deteriorated to the point
                                                              > > > that the pins had no foundation. On my present one I am noticing that
                                                              > > > the pins are staying in good shape but
                                                              > > > part of the plastic on the plug itself is starting to melt away and
                                                              > > > disappear. I was led to believe by a rather scholarly
                                                              > > > article written on the net about these coffee makers that the only one
                                                              > > > worth buying was the C50 as the others had
                                                              > > > different drawbacks such as difficulties with the filters and having to
                                                              > > > replace a cloth? filter in the C30. But what you
                                                              > > > say seems to put a different light on things. I don't find any problem
                                                              > > > with the spring steel, nylon type filter in my
                                                              > > > C 50. Can you use the same one in the C30. If so and the pot
                                                              > > > mechanical parts of the machine will keep on going forever
                                                              > > > then that seems to be the best choice.
                                                              > > > Also as to the chrome plating on the lower pot. I think I have
                                                              > > > scrubbed most of it away. I still use it. Do you think that
                                                              > > > this really adversely effects the coffee? I don't find any problems
                                                              > > > with the taste. Thanks for the feedback.
                                                              > > >
                                                              > > > Chuck

                                                            • Roland
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Feb 18, 2013
                                                                I was fortunate that I recently picked up a couple of coffeemasters very
                                                                cheap that had one complete last-model assembly, plus an extra mesh filter
                                                                (the one with the permanent silicone ring) and as a bonus.the elusive
                                                                coffeemaster upper bowl stand. I still haven't used the coffee master
                                                                because I need a good lower with good plating and a new seal for the upper.
                                                                But the coffeemaster filter works great in other pots.

                                                                Roland

                                                                <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com> , "John A." wrote:

                                                                > > Actually, what you are describing about the terminal plug on the cord is
                                                                pretty common to all coffee pots, especially ones that are used daily. The
                                                                connectors in a new cord will grip the pins tightly, making a solid
                                                                electrical connection. Over time, the connectors in the cord end get looser,
                                                                then you begin to lose that good, tight connection, which causes overheating
                                                                at the pins; the result is then as you describe. At one time, you could buy
                                                                a replacement end for coffee pot cords at the hardware store, but now you
                                                                just buy the whole cord when the old one is worn out. Around $5.00.

                                                                > > If the plating in your pot is worn away, then copper is leaching into
                                                                your coffee. Some say it's bad and some don't mind. I actually think it does
                                                                affect the taste in a negative way.

                                                                > > If you decide to go with a C30, the most important thing is to keep the
                                                                switch dry. Do that and keep it clean and adjusted, and you will have about
                                                                the best electric coffee maker around. Here is the rundown on Coffeemaster
                                                                filter systems:

                                                                96/pic/list