Cleaning C-50

  • William Graham
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2012
      I have a Sunbeam C-50. Part of the bottom around the edge
      has some baked on coffee that I haven't been able to remove.
      I've been cleaning it by adding a teaspoon or two of an Urnex
      product called Cafiza and heating the water to boiling. This
      gets most of the inside shiny and clean, but not all of it.
      I don't want to scrub the inside because this might remove the
      plating. So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2012
        I have had good results using powered dish washer detergent letting it heat up and soak for several hours. Generally the film wipes off after that. It can leave some stained looking marks above where the water level is so I try to fill the pot as far as possible without it foaming over when heated.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2012
          First of all, you are wise not to scrub the inside of the pot. I learned this the hard way with my first Coffeemaster. You can get down to the copper in nothing flat. I use Urnex Cafiza, which works really well for regular cleaning, but I never had much success with it for removing the baked on stuff. The dish washing detergent that Larry suggested may work for you, and I think the key is to let soak - maybe even overnight. You may also want to try the DIP-IT products, which I believe Sunbeam originally recommended for cleaning:

          DIP-IT® Food & Beverage Stain Cleaner Powder
          http://www.rbnainfo.com/productpro/ProductSearch.do?brandId=13&productLineId=275&searchType=PL&template=1

          DIP-IT® Automatic Drip Coffeemaker Cleaner Liquid
          http://www.rbnainfo.com/productpro/ProductSearch.do?brandId=13&productLineId=274&searchType=PL&template=1

          If you run out of options, you may want to try this process, which has worked for me - BUT use your own best judgement. What worked for me may not work for you. Make a paste out of lemon juice and Bar Keepers Friend and spread it onto the blackened area and let soak for a minute; then gently rub with your finger or a cotton ball; finally, rinse thoroughly. Try it on a small area first. It's important to remember how delicate the chrome plating on the inside of the Coffeemaster really is. Baked on coffee is a common issue in the C50.

          Bar Keepers Friend
          http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/cleaning-directions

          Best of luck,
          John A.