Si ntrax

  • mathewdh@q.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2011
      Nathan,

      No on the rubber seal. They were last made about 1952 when the rubberless models supplanted them. Your best approach is to pour hot water on the edge of the rubber and glass and then slowly start separating the rubber from the glass. By constantly adding more hot water as you loosen the seal, the hot water will soften the rubber and help in continuing the separation from the glass.

      CHEERS...Mathew

      Hi guys. I got directed here while inquiring about a find. I was at a second-hand shop in western Norway the other day and came across a funky-looking laboratory apparatus. Upon inspection I concluded it was some kind or tea or coffee percolator and bought the thing with reservation for 150 NOK (about $30). Sure enough, when I Googled the thing, it turned out to be a pre-WWII Schott & Gen. Jena Sintrax .5l vaccuum percolator.
      The two halves were cemented together at the gasket and did not come apart whole. The cemented bit is still fused to the lower chamber but still forms a functional seal with the top half and brews a mean cup of joe, but if I can I'd like to have a fully functional battle station. Do you guys know if it is possible get ahold of a period gasket for this thing?