Saying Hallo, Introduction and all that Jazz

  • Del
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
      Hello -

      I found this group while perusing the web looking for more information on my Sunbeam Coffeemaster C50. I've been using it for Mmm... About a year or so, and really enjoy the coffee it produces. Originally, I purchased this as an alternative to the Espresso Machine we have so that when my husband wasn't home I was able to make myself some Coffee (About the only thing I can get the espresso machine to do is spray me with brown bitter water), but since buying it we've both come to enjoy it, and even take it with us whenever we travel. It's like a security blanket, knowing we have the peace of mind that comes with good coffee no matter where we are, lol.

      Unfortunately, yesterday I made a stupid, stupid, stupid mistake and managed to get bleach inside of the lower chamber, which, through the wonders of chemistry appears to have eaten through the plating inside the pot, and there are patches of what appears to be copper exposed in the bottom of the pot.

      Has anyone else had this (or something like it) happen? Is it possible to repair? Are there health risks involved with continuing to use it while we figure out repair/replacement? (Please tell me I'm not the only one, I feel like such an idiot).

      Del
    • Dave Leonard
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
        Hi Del,

        Sorry to say this, but unless you pay to have the bottom re-plated, your best bet is to watch ePay for another. That copper leaves a bad taste and can eventually lead to copper poisoning. Maybe try a C30c, reported to be the best one of the bunch. I have one that works great and would never part with it, even though I can get even better results with a glass stove-top brewer. For convenience, the Coffee Masters are hard to beat.

        Dave in Michigan

        The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
          Dave,

          I wonder how much real concern there is to a bit of the copper metal showing though..  Many of the old pots I see that are plated have long ago worn some of it off on the interior and I and others obviously have been using it for some time?  I agree that a glass unit would be the best but she likes to travel with hers and I can't think of an easy way to do that. Also that the C 30 is a good choice as well.  My biggest issue is the thermostats on so many are faulty at this point.

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
            I have one C30 that has some copper spots showing through. The coffee has a distinct metallic taste to it. It can't be good for a person to drink it every day. The high temp brings out the copper taste much more than using a cup or something cold with copper showing.

            The thermostat can be adjusted by any competent radio/TV repairman by following the instructions in the files on this site. Should be a small cost, as it's relatively easy to do.

            Dave

            The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
              Blergh. I kinda thought that might be the case. Has anyone tried their hand
              at DIY Re-tinning one of these bad boys? I've done a little research that
              indicates it's *possible*, but I'd like it better if I'd known someone who's
              done it on one of these... The DIY Retinning I've seen online was mostly
              pots and pans, not coffee pots with a much narrower access... The closest
              place to me that does Re-tinning is a good 20-30 minutes from home (or
              alternatively mailing it someplace and living without for weeks) and is
              priced at about $100... At this point it's almost more cost effective to buy
              a different pot (assuming that the new pot doesn't have any wear on the tin,
              of course)

              So of course, this begs the question... does anyone have the bottom half of
              a C50 they'd like to find a new home for? :-)

              I've been perusing eBay (exhaustively... when I close my eyes I see atomic
              era coffee pots dancing) and there are a couple of C30c pots being sold
              (sans brewing chamber) - will the top half of a C50 fit the bottom half of
              C30c? And I'm wondering if that wouldn't effectively address some of the
              concerns that have been raised about the C50 being too hot when the coffee
              flows back down...

              Del

              On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Dave Leonard
              <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I have one C30 that has some copper spots showing through. The coffee has a
              > distinct metallic taste to it. It can't be good for a person to drink it
              > every day. The high temp brings out the copper taste much more than using a
              > cup or something cold with copper showing.
              >
              > The thermostat can be adjusted by any competent radio/TV repairman by
              > following the instructions in the files on this site. Should be a small
              > cost, as it's relatively easy to do.
              >
              > Dave

            • Dave Leonard
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
                C30's of all kinds come up regularly on ePay. I got my last one for $9.00 about three years ago and it looks good and works well. Make sure to ask if the gasket goes on and off easily. Some of them dry up with age (usually on C30 a & b). New gaskets are available, but will bring the cost up quite a bit.

                As for plating, the original is chrome plated. Not sure about using tin plate. It probably would not stick to the chrome, but might work OK on just the spots.

                Dave

                The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                ________________________________

                <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I have one C30 that has some copper spots showing through. The coffee has a
                > distinct metallic taste to it. It can't be good for a person to drink it
                > every day. The high temp brings out the copper taste much more than using a
                > cup or something cold with copper showing.
                >
                > The thermostat can be adjusted by any competent radio/TV repairman by
                > following the instructions in the files on this site. Should be a small
                > cost, as it's relatively easy to do.
                >
                > Dave

              • John A.
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
                  Sorry to hear about your mishap, Del. :-( It's not going to hurt you to use the pot occasionally, but you will definitely be getting the wrong kind of copper in your diet and some metallic, off tastes in your brew. You could have the thing replated in chrome, but you would have to strip off all the electrics and then worry about the plater damaging the heating element which is built in. It's harder to find a C50 that has pristine plating in the bowl than it is a C30C, but they are out there for a price. The quality of plating inside the C50 just was not as good as in the earlier models. Forget about the tin plating, too, as it will not withstand the heat. Also, the parts from a C50 will not interchange with the C30's. Good Luck.

                  John A.

                  --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...> wrote:

                  > C30's of all kinds come up regularly on ePay. I got my last one for $9.00 about three years ago and it looks good and works well. Make sure to ask if the gasket goes on and off easily. Some of them dry up with age (usually on C30 a & b). New gaskets are available, but will bring the cost up quite a bit.
                  >
                  > As for plating, the original is chrome plated. Not sure about using tin plate. It probably would not stick to the chrome, but might work OK on just the spots.
                  >
                  > Dave
                  >

                  > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Del
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
                    Thanks John A. - That's a really good point about the tin plating. I might let my husband give it a try anyways - once I've located a suitable replacement. :-) I'll take a little extra copper in my diet for a week or two rather than forgo coffee, lol.

                    I read through the wonderful post you wrote comparing the pluses/minuses of the C50 to C30c, and will probably be switching focus to a C30c, (unless I happen across a really nice C50), but I noticed that someone else asked about comparison between the Coffeemasters vs. Cory Electrics (particularly the metal ones). I would also be interested in hearing what some of the differences would be between the two - does anyone have experiences with both?

                    Del

                    --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "John A." <kreuzueber.halbmond@...> wrote:

                    > Sorry to hear about your mishap, Del. :-( It's not going to hurt you to use the pot occasionally, but you will definitely be getting the wrong kind of copper in your diet and some metallic, off tastes in your brew. You could have the thing replated in chrome, but you would have to strip off all the electrics and then worry about the plater damaging the heating element which is built in. It's harder to find a C50 that has pristine plating in the bowl than it is a C30C, but they are out there for a price. The quality of plating inside the C50 just was not as good as in the earlier models. Forget about the tin plating, too, as it will not withstand the heat. Also, the parts from a C50 will not interchange with the C30's. Good Luck.
                    >
                    > John A.
                    >
                    > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > C30's of all kinds come up regularly on ePay. I got my last one for $9.00 about three years ago and it looks good and works well. Make sure to ask if the gasket goes on and off easily. Some of them dry up with age (usually on C30 a & b). New gaskets are available, but will bring the cost up quite a bit.
                    > >
                    > > As for plating, the original is chrome plated. Not sure about using tin plate. It probably would not stick to the chrome, but might work OK on just the spots.
                    > >
                    > > Dave
                    > >

                    > > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________

                  • Lee Day
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
                      I have a C-50 brand new in the box I'll let go for $300

                    • John A.
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
                        $$$$$!!! Actually, you aren't that far off. In 1960, a C50 cost around $32.50. Calculating the rate of change in inflation, which is 665.4%, that C50 would cost $248.74 today. In 1957, a C30C cost $38.95. Adjusting for inflation, a 706.2% increase, that C30C would cost $314.02 nowadays. New in the box is like gold.

                        John A.

                        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Lee Day <lee_d_33712@...> wrote:

                        > I have a C-50 brand new in the box I'll let go for $300
                        >

                        > >________________________________

                      • Del
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 8, 2011
                          Thanks for the offer - But I already won a C30c on eBay. :-)

                          Del

                        • john wall
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 10, 2011
                            Sorry to hear about the C50 and good luck with the C30c. Do you want to sell or part out the C50??
                            Thanks
                            John

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 12, 2011
                              I haven't decided yet. I'm still awaiting the C30c's arrival - it will probably depend upon how much I like the C30c, and whether I can find a replacement base if I don't...

                              I'm eyeballing some of the glass Cory's on eBay, too - so I may just end up changing gears altogether. :-)

                              Del

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 12, 2011
                                Glass pots make the greatest coffee ever! Too bad they have to be watched and fussed with more. To me, it's worth it, but to those in a hurry, it would be a bother. I like stumbling onto glass vac pots at yard sales and putting them up on display, but for daily use, it's hard to beat a new Yama for under $40 including shipping. I have even used a Sunbeam screen filter in them, and a Bodum Electric filter is easy to modify to use and costs little and fits even better. A Cory glass rod fits perfectly and is the easiest to use, and the cloth filters filters that it comes with is better than any of them and inexpensive to buy more or easy to make. No sediment at all, and good for around 100 brews each if cleaned properly.

                                Just something to think about. I just hate using vintage glass daily. I've broke two over the years by losing my grip with wet6 fingers while cleaning them. Yama glass parts are available separately and cost around $12 each. Dropping one is not a tragedy. :)

                                Dave in Michigan

                                The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 12, 2011
                                  Its funny about glass vacuum pots. I have seen a number of them over the years that I passed on and they just sat there till eventually I purchased them. At least those that were a bargain.. A local thrift store had a simple later cory in good shape with the rod. I went passed to for probably a year till one day they had a sale for half off.  I paid 87 cents for it.. And no one had purchased it! Some are as low as a few dollars sometimes as well. This weekend we went to some rather remote antique stores while observing the fall colors and sure enough a silex and a separate cory top were still in the basement of a shop and it had been for over 7 years the lady said.  I got both items for 10.00, cleaned them up and did a bit of refurbishing, presto a very nice cheap silex and a good replace DUR top.

                                  So now and then a great buy can occur many times even in antique stores.  Of course its rarer than it is common to happen but it still does and it always surprises me that no one buys them.  I got that top to my Beehive Sunbeam after it sat at least 5 years in a large resale shop. I  must admit didn't know what it was either, but when the woman didn't see a price on it any longer she said 50 cents.  Turned an extra bottom into a fairly valuable item, at least at that time.  Another sleeper can be the Nicro metal pots. They have become quite hot compared to the old prices and usually they are really shunned by buyers who are unaware of them. I finally broke down and purchased one that I had seen for two years in a shop sitting against the back wall. A whole 10.00.. When I cleaned it up an put it on ebay it brought 110.00 in a week.. So finding pots can be fun.  I also passed yet again this week while we were out on a Silex narrow mouth with nickel
                                  handle and skirt and a porcelain cloth cover type filter an lid. Trouble is the seal was gone so I assume it was hard as a rock and someone removed it.  Funny though its the only pot that they make a new seal for I think. But at 15.00 for the pot and almost as much for the seal I just couldn't bring my self to buy it?

                                  Good luck on your pot searches.

                                  Oh, as a side note. One time previously I reported on how I took a awful looking silex handle that had turned that hopeless grey and repainted it.  This silex had the black skirt and handle, both were sad looking. I cleaned them all up, stipped the peeling paint of the band and then sprayed all the parts with high gloss black engine enamel for high heat.  It looks wonderful and the ones I did in the past all held up fine, you would never know they were painted. Just a thought.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 12, 2011
                                    Larry, if you ever have an extra or can find a cheap metal Nicro, I'm in the market for one. I gave mine away a few years and now I wish I had another to take camping with me. I have a little Colman stove to heat with. I go to a lot of folk music festivals and the coffee is usually badly made Folgers.

                                    Dave in Michigan

                                    The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 15, 2011
                                      John,
                                      Thank you for that info. I also have a C30C NIB

                                      Lee

                                    • lee_d_33712
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 20, 2011
                                        The new gasket for the SILEX wide mouth is now available at DAYSEAL.com