Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30A BEEHIVE upper pot

  • BRIAN LESCALLEET
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 24, 2011
      Hello to any of our Sunbeam Coffeemaster experts,
      I recently acquired a Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30A with a glass beehive upper pot. Can someone tell me if the glass upper pot is compatible with all of the lower pots in the C30 series? The handle on the lower pot is broken, and I would like to find a replacement pot. Should I confine my search to another C30A lower pot? Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Brian

    • Michael
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 24, 2011
        Hello Brian:

        The way I understand it, the glass beehive top was introduced as the U.S. geared up for World War II. There's a tremendous amount of metal involved in a standard Sunbeam C-30 and since the bottom had to remain metal to enclose the heating element, the decision was made to go with a glass top to reduce the overall amount of steel, copper and chrome used in the manufacturing of the C-30.

        As long as you have the proper gasket on the glass top, it should fit any C-30 base. Just make sure that the lip on the lower pot is in good condition (no major dings or dents) and that it will seal properly.

        The C-20 used a screw-thread fitting on the filter to hold the top and bottom parts together and the C-50 had a different bottom pot design altogether that used a large O-ring gasket and a locking lever mechanism on the upper pot, so neither model will work with the glass top.

        I'm glad you have an intact glass top. I won a complete unit online a few years ago, but the glass top arrived in a million pieces. After trying for over a month to get some kind of compensation from the USPS (it was sent insured) the vendor and I finally gave up.

        Good luck with your C-30 Glass Top. For obvious reasons, they're a bit rare, so you're fortunate to come across one.

        Regards,

        Mike

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, BRIAN LESCALLEET <brian1919@...> wrote:

        > Hello to any of our Sunbeam Coffeemaster experts,
        > I recently acquired a Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30A with a glass beehive upper pot. Can someone tell me if the glass upper pot is compatible with all of the lower pots in the C30 series? The handle on the lower pot is broken, and I would like to find a replacement pot. Should I confine my search to another C30A lower pot? Your expertise is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Brian

      • BRIAN LESCALLEET
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 24, 2011
          Hello Michael,
          Once again, thank you for your response in regard to Sunbeam Coffeemasters. There seems to be frequent listings on eBay for models in the C-30 series.
          Also, could you tell me if the filter assembly for the C50 is compatible with the C30A, or if all of the filter assemblies in the C30 series are compatible with the glass beehive upper pot?

          Thanks again,
          Brian

          To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
          From: futura@...
          Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 03:03:02 +0000
          Subject: [vacpot] Re: Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30A BEEHIVE upper pot

          Hello Brian:

          The way I understand it, the glass beehive top was introduced as the U.S. geared up for World War II. There's a tremendous amount of metal involved in a standard Sunbeam C-30 and since the bottom had to remain metal to enclose the heating element, the decision was made to go with a glass top to reduce the overall amount of steel, copper and chrome used in the manufacturing of the C-30.

          As long as you have the proper gasket on the glass top, it should fit any C-30 base. Just make sure that the lip on the lower pot is in good condition (no major dings or dents) and that it will seal properly.

          The C-20 used a screw-thread fitting on the filter to hold the top and bottom parts together and the C-50 had a different bottom pot design altogether that used a large O-ring gasket and a locking lever mechanism on the upper pot, so neither model will work with the glass top.

          I'm glad you have an intact glass top. I won a complete unit online a few years ago, but the glass top arrived in a million pieces. After trying for over a month to get some kind of compensation from the USPS (it was sent insured) the vendor and I finally gave up.

          Good luck with your C-30 Glass Top. For obvious reasons, they're a bit rare, so you're fortunate to come across one.

          Regards,

          Mike

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, BRIAN LESCALLEET <brian1919@...> wrote:

          > Hello to any of our Sunbeam Coffeemaster experts,
          > I recently acquired a Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30A with a glass beehive upper pot. Can someone tell me if the glass upper pot is compatible with all of the lower pots in the C30 series? The handle on the lower pot is broken, and I would like to find a replacement pot. Should I confine my search to another C30A lower pot? Your expertise is greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Brian

        • John A.
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 24, 2011
            Hi Brian,
            It's a myth that the glass top is WWII era. Sunbeam did not make Coffeemasters during the war. The C30 replaced the C20B in June 1948. The C30A came out in August 1949. The C30AB (Glass Top) came out a little later, because of the Korean Conflict and copper restrictions. Your glass top may fit the C30, but I would search out a C30A for accuracy. The nameplate designation on the "Beehive" Model is C30A with a stamped 'B' next to the C30A. The tube lengths on all the C30 series Coffeemasters vary because the shape of the models vary ever so slightly. They may interchange, but the distance of the tube from the bottom is critical for proper adjustments according to Service information. Since the C30A came with both glass and metal top vessels, they interchange exactly in this regard. Also, the electrics in a C30A are superior to a C30.

            The C50 filter assembly will not fit anything but a C50. The tabs on the mesh filter frame are different. Stick with a C30 series filter set, of which there are several types.

            I own one of these, and it is a joy to use on rare occasions. Fear of breakage, at least for me, keeps it on the shelf most of the time.

            Cheers, John A.

            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, BRIAN LESCALLEET <brian1919@...> wrote:

            > Hello Michael,
            > Once again, thank you for your response in regard to Sunbeam Coffeemasters. There seems to be frequent listings on eBay for models in the C-30 series.
            > Also, could you tell me if the filter assembly for the C50 is compatible with the C30A, or if all of the filter assemblies in the C30 series are compatible with the glass beehive upper pot?
            >
            > Thanks again,
            > Brian
            >

            > To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
            > From: futura@...
            > Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 03:03:02 +0000
            > Subject: [vacpot] Re: Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30A BEEHIVE upper pot
            >

            > Hello Brian:
            >
            > The way I understand it, the glass beehive top was introduced as the U.S. geared up for World War II. There's a tremendous amount of metal involved in a standard Sunbeam C-30 and since the bottom had to remain metal to enclose the heating element, the decision was made to go with a glass top to reduce the overall amount of steel, copper and chrome used in the manufacturing of the C-30.
            >
            > As long as you have the proper gasket on the glass top, it should fit any C-30 base. Just make sure that the lip on the lower pot is in good condition (no major dings or dents) and that it will seal properly.
            >
            > The C-20 used a screw-thread fitting on the filter to hold the top and bottom parts together and the C-50 had a different bottom pot design altogether that used a large O-ring gasket and a locking lever mechanism on the upper pot, so neither model will work with the glass top.
            >
            > I'm glad you have an intact glass top. I won a complete unit online a few years ago, but the glass top arrived in a million pieces. After trying for over a month to get some kind of compensation from the USPS (it was sent insured) the vendor and I finally gave up.
            >
            > Good luck with your C-30 Glass Top. For obvious reasons, they're a bit rare, so you're fortunate to come across one.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Mike
            >
            > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, BRIAN LESCALLEET <brian1919@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hello to any of our Sunbeam Coffeemaster experts,
            > > I recently acquired a Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30A with a glass beehive upper pot. Can someone tell me if the glass upper pot is compatible with all of the lower pots in the C30 series? The handle on the lower pot is broken, and I would like to find a replacement pot. Should I confine my search to another C30A lower pot? Your expertise is greatly appreciated.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Brian

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 24, 2011
              Hello John and Brian:

              I stand corrected. I remembered that it was a material shortage that resulted in the glass top being manufactured, but I got the wrong war! I bow to John A's superior knowledge.

              Mike

              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "John A." <kreuzueber.halbmond@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > Good luck with your C-30 Glass Top. For obvious reasons, they're a bit rare, so you're fortunate to come across one.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > >
              > > Mike
              > >
              > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, BRIAN LESCALLEET <brian1919@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Hello to any of our Sunbeam Coffeemaster experts,
              > > > I recently acquired a Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30A with a glass beehive upper pot. Can someone tell me if the glass upper pot is compatible with all of the lower pots in the C30 series? The handle on the lower pot is broken, and I would like to find a replacement pot. Should I confine my search to another C30A lower pot? Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

            • John A.
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 24, 2011
                Hi, Mike.
                No need to bow. I used to have the same assumption, because I read it another coffee collector site. Then I got my hands on some old Sunbeam advertisements from WWII era magazines and the correct manufacturing dates from a Sunbeam factory service manual. Sorry to hear yours got messed up by the Post Office, and hope you find another one some day.
                Regards, John A.

                --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <futura@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > >
                > > > The C-20 used a screw-thread fitting on the filter to hold the top and bottom parts together and the C-50 had a different bottom pot design altogether that used a large O-ring gasket and a locking lever mechanism on the upper pot, so neither model will work with the glass top.
                > > >
                > > > I'm glad you have an intact glass top. I won a complete unit online a few years ago, but the glass top arrived in a million pieces. After trying for over a month to get some kind of compensation from the USPS (it was sent insured) the vendor and I finally gave up.
                > > >
                > > > Good luck with your C-30 Glass Top. For obvious reasons, they're a bit rare, so you're fortunate to come across one.

              • BRIAN LESCALLEET
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 25, 2011
                  HI John A.,
                  Thank you for your very informative message. Much appreciated!
                  In regard to the C30A, is there a metal mesh filter that is compatible with the glass or chrome upper pot? Since there is no need to use a cloth filter in a C50, I was wondering if there are any mesh filters that work with the C30A.

                  Thanks again,
                  Brian

                  To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                  From: kreuzueber.halbmond@...
                  Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 04:14:33 +0000

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 25, 2011
                    Brian,

                    Yes there are mess screen filters that work in the C30 models.  I would say that some sunbeams came with them as I have had a number that had those in them. But it could be it was added latter by people?

                    From: kreuzueber.halbmond@...
                    Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 04:14:33 +0000

> [...]

                    > Good luck with your C-30 Glass Top. For obvious reasons, they're a bit rare, so you're fortunate to come across one.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Mike
                    >
                    > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, BRIAN LESCALLEET <brian1919@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Hello to any of our Sunbeam Coffeemaster experts,
                    > > I recently acquired a Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30A with a glass beehive upper pot. Can someone tell me if the glass upper pot is compatible with all of the lower pots in the C30 series? The handle on the lower pot is broken, and I would like to find a replacement pot. Should I confine my search to another C30A lower pot? Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

                  • John A.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 25, 2011
                      Brian,

                      The short answer to your question is yes.

                      A little history of the evolution of the Coffeemaster mesh filter:

                      First, the Model C30A came with the C30 cloth type filter system. Soon, the cloth system was replaced by one that only had a single stainless steel mesh filter surrounded by a neoprene rubber ring. These were quite an improvement in terms of ease of cleanup, but the mesh had no supporting frame underneath and tended get "floppy" after a while and clog easily, stalling the process. This is the kind my C30AB "Glass Top" came with. When the C30B came out in 1953, the filter system was improved. This type has a dome-shaped strainer above the mesh. The mesh is supported by a four "spoke" frame with a removable rubber ring. This is probably the most common type, and it carried over to the C30C which came out in 1954. The last type (late 1950's), and by far the best, is the one that is like the C50 system. It has a flat strainer plate above a mesh that is supported by a six "spoke" frame and has a permanently attached silicone rubber ring. The difference between it and the C50 type can be seen in the metal tabs on the underside of the mesh support frame. It will fit the C50, but the C50 won't fit the C30A-C.

                      Hope my answer helps.

                      Regards, John A.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 25, 2011
                        John,

                        I have never understood the filter with the dome shaped metal piece attached. In fact if its taken apart I often don't know which way it was supposed to go. I am guessing that the lower edge is the ones with the slots in it. Frankly I can't see what the improvement is supposed to be with that added part?  Do you know the function its supposed to have?

> [...]

                        > > Good luck with your C-30 Glass Top. For obvious reasons, they're a bit rare, so you're fortunate to come across one.
                        > >
                        > > Regards,
                        > >
                        > > Mike
                        > >
                        > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, BRIAN LESCALLEET <brian1919@> wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > Hello to any of our Sunbeam Coffeemaster experts,
                        > > > I recently acquired a Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30A with a glass beehive upper pot. Can someone tell me if the glass upper pot is compatible with all of the lower pots in the C30 series? The handle on the lower pot is broken, and I would like to find a replacement pot. Should I confine my search to another C30A lower pot? Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

                      • John A.
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 25, 2011
                          Hi Larry,

                          The way I understand it is the "dome" is supposed to catch the bulk of the grounds and keep them away from the mesh screen. The coffee liquid is sucked through the holes in the top of the dome and through the slot in the side, causing a swirling action above the mesh. Bottom line - less chance of a stall. Yet, if the slot clogs, the system still stalls. The later Coffeemaster filter system with the flat strainer plate is better, because it has the spoke-like raised channels which also create a swirling action, and it is easier to clean. The mesh has better support and a rubber ring that is silicone based and permanently attached. This type won't stall, unless of course the grind is too fine, and it won't come apart. Additionally, the rivet that holds the mesh to its frame has two small slots (bypass channels) as a last resort to help eliminate stalls, while at the same time not allowing an excess of fines into the pot. This filter system came with the last C30C's and the C50, and was also available as an aftermarket item.

                          John A.

                          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

                          > John,
                          >
                          > I have never understood the filter with the dome shaped metal piece attached. In fact if its taken apart I often don't know which way it was supposed to go. I am guessing that the lower edge is the ones with the slots in it. Frankly I can't see what the improvement is supposed to be with that added part?  Do you know the function its supposed to have?
                          >
                          > Larry
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • BRIAN LESCALLEET
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 25, 2011
                            John A.,
                            Thank you for sharing your expertise in regard to the Sunbeam Coffeemasters.
                            Again, much appreciated, and very helpful!

                            Brian

                            To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                            From: kreuzueber.halbmond@...
                            Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:54:05 +0000

> [...]

                            > > Good luck with your C-30 Glass Top. For obvious reasons, they're a bit rare, so you're fortunate to come across one.
                            > >
                            > > Regards,
                            > >
                            > > Mike
                            > >
                            > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, BRIAN LESCALLEET <brian1919@> wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > Hello to any of our Sunbeam Coffeemaster experts,
                            > > > I recently acquired a Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30A with a glass beehive upper pot. Can someone tell me if the glass upper pot is compatible with all of the lower pots in the C30 series? The handle on the lower pot is broken, and I would like to find a replacement pot. Should I confine my search to another C30A lower pot? Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

                          • John A.
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 30, 2011
                              I have uploaded some photos and descriptions of the various Coffeemaster stainless steel filter styles into a new album. (Change the view to large or original for better results) Also, in regard to the first style, I previously misstated in an earlier post: "... but the mesh had no supporting frame underneath ...." Actually, there was a separate four-spoke frame under the mesh. However, there was no rivet holding the mesh to this support. This was a weak point and was later improved upon, as seen in the later styles. Hope my photos help answer some questions about the different types of Coffeemaster filters.

                              John A.

                            • BRIAN LESCALLEET
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 6, 2011
                                Hello John A., and any Coffeemaster users,
                                I purchased another Coffeemaster C30A to use the bottom pot with the C30AB Beehive upper pot. (The handle of the C30AB lower pot is broken.) When the C30A arrived, I found the familiar problems which I have read about. The pots were too hard to separate. So, I heated water in the lower pot to soften the rubber seal, and I was able to separate the 2 pots. As anticipated, the rubber seal is rock hard.
                                1. What is the best way to remove the old seal from the upper pot? Boil the unit in hot water? I can turn the seal slightly, but I cannot slide it off.
                                2. When I ran the C30A twice, I noticed that it did not remain on "High" for very long before switching to "Low". Therefore, most of the water did not travel to the upper pot. I had the filter assembly intact with a cloth filter (no coffee). I know that there are instructions for making adjustments in the manual posted on this site. Do you have any quick suggestions?
                                3. I read an internet posting awhile ago about someone using a product called P-80 Rubber Lubricant to keep rubber seals in good working order. Do you know anything about this product, or do you have any advice for keeping the rubber seals soft and pliable? When I use my C50, I usually unplug the unit as soon as a cycle is complete in order to spare the seal from any prolonged heating.
                                4. With Coffeemasters, is there any length of time that should elapse before heating up another pot of coffee? (I have never read anything about a "waiting" period before going through the whole vacuum process again.)

                                John A., thanks again for your expertise!

                                Brian

                                To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                                From: kreuzueber.halbmond@...
                                Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 02:59:37 +0000

> [...]

                                > > > The C-20 used a screw-thread fitting on the filter to hold the top and bottom parts together and the C-50 had a different bottom pot design altogether that used a large O-ring gasket and a locking lever mechanism on the upper pot, so neither model will work with the glass top.
                                > > >
                                > > > I'm glad you have an intact glass top. I won a complete unit online a few years ago, but the glass top arrived in a million pieces. After trying for over a month to get some kind of compensation from the USPS (it was sent insured) the vendor and I finally gave up.
                                > > >
                                > > > Good luck with your C-30 Glass Top. For obvious reasons, they're a bit rare, so you're fortunate to come across one.

                              • John A.
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 7, 2011
                                  Hi Brian,

                                  Glad you found a C30A replacement.

                                  (1) "What is the best way to remove the old seal from the upper pot?"

                                  On the C30A metal one, you have to screw the tube (clockwise) into the upper pot. It is threaded to the metal retainer inside the gasket. Once you do that, you may have to run hot water over the gasket if it is stuck, while pulling it off the pot. Don't lose the smaller rubber washer that goes between the retainer and the upper pot. Assembly is in reverse order. On the glass pot, the metal retainer unscrews from the glass tube. If it is stuck, hot soap water will generally loosen it up. Careful with that glass!

                                  (2) "When I ran the C30A twice..."

                                  Are you sure you are not losing pressure due to a poor seal between the vessels? You can also do the following simple test to check the HIGH temperature setting. If it isn't right, check back, and I'll give more details about adjustments if you need them.

                                  1. Start with a totally cold bowl, like it is in the morning before you make coffee.
                                  2. Put 1-1/2 ounces of cold water in the bowl, plug it in and set it on HIGH.
                                  3. Watch it boil away, and at ((EXACTLY)) the time the last drop of water turns to steam and dries up in the center of the bowl, count the seconds precisely with a timer.
                                  4. Factory specs say that the switch should snap to LOW in 15-20 seconds. I have found 10 seconds or less, with my C30C, to be better.

                                  (3) "...any advice for keeping the rubber seals soft and pliable?"

                                  Unfortunately, when the neoprene Coffeemaster gasket gets hard, that is the end. I've tried countless ways to rejuvenate them, but no luck. The only advice I can give is don't let it stay attached to the lower bowl for very long after coffee is done; keep it clean; apply 1 or 2 drops of glycerine to the leading edge occasionally to keep it slick. I have never used the lube you mentioned. You have to pay attention to any residue that might transfer to your coffee as you pour it. Some use cooking oil, but I've found glycerine to be less messy and pretty much inert. Another thing, the lower pot being copper, it is easy to deform the opening by forcing a stiff gasket into it. If the opening is out of round, a loss of pressure (water won't rise) or a loss of vacuum (coffee stalls and won't go south) will result.

                                  (4) "With Coffeemasters, is there any length of time that should elapse before heating up another pot of coffee?"

                                  No, it doesn't make any difference how long between brews.

                                  Hope this helps,
                                  John A.

                                  --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, BRIAN LESCALLEET <brian1919@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello John A., and any Coffeemaster users,
                                  > I purchased another Coffeemaster C30A to use the bottom pot with the C30AB Beehive upper pot. (The handle of the C30AB lower pot is broken.) When the C30A arrived, I found the familiar problems which I have read about. The pots were too hard to separate. So, I heated water in the lower pot to soften the rubber seal, and I was able to separate the 2 pots. As anticipated, the rubber seal is rock hard.
                                  > 1. What is the best way to remove the old seal from the upper pot? Boil the unit in hot water? I can turn the seal slightly, but I cannot slide it off.
                                  > 2. When I ran the C30A twice, I noticed that it did not remain on "High" for very long before switching to "Low". Therefore, most of the water did not travel to the upper pot. I had the filter assembly intact with a cloth filter (no coffee). I know that there are instructions for making adjustments in the manual posted on this site. Do you have any quick suggestions?
                                  > 3. I read an internet posting awhile ago about someone using a product called P-80 Rubber Lubricant to keep rubber seals in good working order. Do you know anything about this product, or do you have any advice for keeping the rubber seals soft and pliable? When I use my C50, I usually unplug the unit as soon as a cycle is complete in order to spare the seal from any prolonged heating.
                                  > 4. With Coffeemasters, is there any length of time that should elapse before heating up another pot of coffee? (I have never read anything about a "waiting" period before going through the whole vacuum process again.)
                                  >
                                  > John A., thanks again for your expertise!
                                  >
                                  > Brian
                                • BRIAN LESCALLEET
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 7, 2011
                                    Hi John A.,
                                    Once again, thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge in regard to the Sunbeam Coffeemasters.
                                    The seller of the C30A is allowing me to return it. I noticed that there are a few listings on eBay for C30A bottom pots only. Perhaps I will purchase one of these so that I do not have to deal with a bad rubber seal again. The seal on my C30AB Beehive is in great shape.
                                    I read your February 21, 2010 posting in regard to the C30C and the 50C models. So, this morning I purchased a C30C on eBay in excellent condition. I have become fond of Sunbeam's Coffeemasters, and I enjoy using them, too.
                                    As I read your comments about the C30C and 50C, I was wondering why Sunbeam increased the brewing time in the C50. It would be interesting to know how Sunbeam determined the ideal brewing time or "default" setting for their Coffeemasters when originally purchased decades ago. I understand that adjustments can be made in regard to their brewing times.
                                    Also, in regard to cloth filters for the C30A, the original cloth filters appear on eBay every once in awhile. Are there any compatible cloth filter replacements offered today by other companies? (Yama and Hario come to mind.)
                                    John, it is a pleasure to receive your responses as you share your expertise!

                                    Thanks again,
                                    Brian

                                    To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: kreuzueber.halbmond@...
                                    Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 04:37:26 +0000

                                    Hi Brian,

                                    Glad you found a C30A replacement.

                                    (1) "What is the best way to remove the old seal from the upper pot?"

                                    You have to screw the funnel (clockwise) into the upper pot. It is threaded to the metal retainer in the gasket. Once you do that, you may have to run hot water over the gasket, if it is stuck, while pulling it off the pot. Don't lose the smaller rubber washer that goes between the retainer and the upper pot. Assembly is in reverse order.

                                    (2) "When I ran the C30A twice..."

                                    Do the following simple test to check the HIGH temperature setting. If it isn't right, check back, and I'll give more details about adjustments if you need them.

                                    1. Start with a totally cold bowl, like it is in the morning before you make coffee.
                                    2. Put 1-1/2 ounces of cold water in the bowl, plug it in and set it on HIGH.
                                    3. Watch it boil away, and at ((EXACTLY)) the time the last drop of water turns to steam and dries up in the center of the bowl, count the seconds precisely with a timer.
                                    4. Factory specs say that the switch should snap to LOW in 15-20 seconds. I have found 10 seconds or less, with my C30C, to be better.

                                    (3) "...any advice for keeping the rubber seals soft and pliable?"

                                    Unfortunately, when the neoprene Coffeemaster gasket gets hard, that is the end. I've tried countless ways to rejuvenate them, but no luck. The only advice I can give is don't let it stay attached to the bowl for very long after coffee is done; keep it clean; apply 1 or 2 drops of glycerine to the leading edge occasionally to keep it slick. I have never used the lube you mentioned. You have to pay attention to any residue that might transfer to your coffee as you pour it.