looking for a c-50

  • princetor
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2011
      hi, i am looking for a sunbeam c-50 in good condition, at reasonable price- any suggestions? i'm also starting a stovetop metal vacuum coffee maker collection- any help? the only place i've looked at previously has been bay. by the way, i used a kaffeologie k165 filter on a sunbeam c-20 and it worked great.
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2011
        Hello:

        I'm afraid I only have the one Sunbeam C-50 and it's in the shop now awaiting some silver soldering for the low temperature element.

        Other than online auction sites, I would suggest checking out second hand stores and charity shops (Goodwill, Salvation Army etc.). Often you'll find the lower bowl but not the upper. It might take some searching to get a matched pair. Avoid "antique" shops like the plague. They always go by the "old = expensive" method of pricing.

        Garage sales, estate sales and church jumble sales especially in older neighbourhoods are also a possibility. The Model C-50 Coffeemaster was sold in the late '50's and early '60's. There's a possibility that you might run across one that was given as a wedding present way back when and was later packed away when vacuum coffemakers were replaced by percolators and drip coffeemakers, only to resurface during a house clearout.

        As for the auction sites, don't forget to search for incorrect spellings and bad descriptions. I've seen these described as everything from percolators to teapots.

        For the metal stove-top type coffemaker, again the descriptions in online auctions can be pretty awful. Search for a couple of different brand names (Nicro, Corey and Flavor-Seal are three that I can think of) and remember that quite often the vendor hasn't a clue what the item is. Again, it could be described as a teapot or kettle, a percolator or even a generic stainless steel pot! Cast your net widely and you'll usually find something.

        With filters, I use the Nicro filter that consists of two off-set stainless steel slotted discs that are held in the upper bowl by a spring. If you run these patent numbers through Google Patents, you'll see what I'm talking about:

        2502375

        D157486

        This kind of filter will work on all kinds of vacuum coffemakers and is much easier to clean than the wire mesh kind or the cloth filter.

        Good luck with your search. I prefer my Coffemaster C-50 because it has a separate low-temperature element (no fiddling around adjusting the "hold" temperature) and it's built like a tank!

        M.C

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "princetor" <scharf.mac@...> wrote:

        > hi, i am looking for a sunbeam c-50 in good condition, at reasonable price- any suggestions? i'm also starting a stovetop metal vacuum coffee maker collection- any help? the only place i've looked at previously has been bay. by the way, i used a kaffeologie k165 filter on a sunbeam c-20 and it worked great.

      • BRIAN LESCALLEET
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2011
          Hi there to M.C. or anyone,
          Do the Nicro Filters with the patent numbers listed below work well with the Sunbeam C-50?

          Thanks,
          Brian

          To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
          From: futura@...
          Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 01:22:05 +0000
          Subject: [vacpot] Re: looking for a c-50

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2011
            Hello Brian:

            Yes, I've used this filter with the C-50 as well as the C-30. The only thing I've noticed is that the filter sits further down in the upper bowl, so that after the brew cycle is complete the grounds are mostly in the well over the uptake tube (on top of the filter, of course). The stock Sunbeam filter sits higher up in the bowl. It doesn't seem to make any difference to the brew. As usual, it's a bit of a pain cleaning the grounds out of the upper bowl, but that's the same no matter what filter you use.

            I've seen a couple of variations on the Nicro filter, including one that has an adjustable spring tension. This is done by having more than one position that the bottom hook can be on the chain. I'm assuming this is for adjusting the filter to different size uptake tubes. If the spring tension is too loose, you'll get grounds in the bottom bowl.

            These show up on online auction sites occasionally. The "one that got away" for me was a lot of ten (yes ten) brand new Nicro filters. The vendor said her aunt had cleaned out the local hardware store years ago when the owner told her he wouldn't be carrying them anymore. I sure wish I'd been the winner of that auction.

            I hope you can find one. They're a snap to use and easy to clean.

            Mike (M.C.)

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 12, 2011
              Hello Mike,
              Thanks for your message about the Nicro filters.
              I have seen these filters listed on eBay, and I am amazed at the price buyers are willing to pay for them.
              The stock Sunbeam filter for the C-50 works fine. I was just curious about how the Nicro filters performed in the C-50.

              Thanks again,
              Brian

              To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
              From: futura@...