Group Revisions?

  • Cape Cod Bch Bum
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2011
      Hi y'all,

      I've been off in South Florida fishing for a couple weeks, so my only contact has been via I-phone. Can I make a suggestion we might consider adding?

      Namely, a warning (geared towards newbies and/or someone interested in vac pots that found the group via a web search engine) the rest of us can just gloss over regarding safety.

      A number of times in the recent past while discussing our favorite brewing method I've been asked, "How do you manage to get ready for work (prepare dinner, keep track of the rug rats... you add your own for instance here) if you're constantly running in and out of the kitchen to keep track of the coffee?"

      They're shocked when I reply, "You're not supposed to."

      Too many have been raised as part of the "Set it and forget it Generation." Beginning with the electric percolator, followed by the auto-drip and now with the various single serve alternatives. Don't get me wrong, they all have their places in our lives, but I was taught to use the proper tool for the job.

      It doesn't matter whether you're using one of the vintage pots that most of us prefer (and range from 50-75 years old on the average!) or one of the newer Yama, Hario, Cona etc pots, these all require "Constant Vigilance" to borrow Mad Eye Moody's phrase. They are like young children and need to be carefully watched at all times, NEVER USED if you're distracted elsewhere. If you aren't willing to give them 100% of your attention, then use another method and reserve the vac for when you can!

      Sorry for the rant, but I love these pots and want to see their use SAFELY promoted.

      Some of us remember when these pots were the only way coffee was brewed in diners, restaurants and coffee houses. If we think back, I think we'll find back in the recesses of our cobwebbed minds, that back then there were people dedicated solely to brewing the coffee (early baristas if you will) and they were never tasked with performing any other duties while the coffee was brewing. Rinsing and cleaning pots, sidework etc was ONLY performed between cycles. Busier locales even had specific staff for these duties. It wasn't until the auto-drip took over that these positions were phased out and delegated to the waitstaff.

      Again, sorry for the rant, but I do think it's part of our responsibility to promote the SAFE enjoyment of our hobby to newcomers.

      Tom