Re: [vacpot] Cory glass top on sunbeam coffeemaster bottom??

  • Brian Helfrich
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2011
      Believe it or not, the answer is "Yes, but . . ."

      I used a Sunbeam C30 bottom and a Cory DRU top with a Cory glass filter rod.

      The top doesn't snug fit on the Sunbeam bottom, it just sets on the top and
      rests on the large top lip of the gasket. So you do have to be sure that
      you have set the top evenly level on the bottom pot, since it can rock
      enough to loose the seal. It also helps to hold the top down while water is
      bubbling up from the bottom. Folks with gasket-less Cory pots are probably
      used to that.

      The other issue to deal with is than the Sunbeam tops had a small hole near
      the top of the tube that kept the water from going up to the top bowl until
      the water is hot enough. So I waited until the bottom had the water boiling
      before I put the top on. Folks with glass pots would be used to doing this
      too.

      I didn't wait to see if the Sunbeam kicked down to low on it's own, I just
      tripped it manually. The pot did keep a vacuum and it did suck the water
      back down, as apposed to just draining back down.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1 10:44 PM
        AHH, thanks Brian, i had a feeling that they were close, but do not have a Cory yet. Do you know if any Dxx will work, i know they are different cup sizes, but the base and tube length seem to be the same, or am i off on that. Just waiting on my new seal, and then my sunbeam is ready to go, all clean and adjusted, now i can look for a cory top, as the sunbeam 'beehive' glass top is very hard to find. found a lid that fits the top vac pot part ,so i am ready to brew....let the burbles begin....

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Helfrich" <bhelfric@...> wrote:

        > Believe it or not, the answer is "Yes, but . . ."
        >
        > I used a Sunbeam C30 bottom and a Cory DRU top with a Cory glass filter rod.
        >
        > The top doesn't snug fit on the Sunbeam bottom, it just sets on the top and
        > rests on the large top lip of the gasket. So you do have to be sure that
        > you have set the top evenly level on the bottom pot, since it can rock
        > enough to loose the seal. It also helps to hold the top down while water is
        > bubbling up from the bottom. Folks with gasket-less Cory pots are probably
        > used to that.
        >
        > The other issue to deal with is than the Sunbeam tops had a small hole near
        > the top of the tube that kept the water from going up to the top bowl until
        > the water is hot enough. So I waited until the bottom had the water boiling
        > before I put the top on. Folks with glass pots would be used to doing this
        > too.
        >
        > I didn't wait to see if the Sunbeam kicked down to low on it's own, I just
        > tripped it manually. The pot did keep a vacuum and it did suck the water
        > back down, as apposed to just draining back down.
        >
        > Brian

      • Brian Helfrich
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2 4:57 AM
          I think all the wide mouth Cory gaskets are the same basic size. Some have
          "fins" on them and I think they seal better. The older ones I have without
          the fins are hard and can allow the pot to be pushed up by the steam
          pressure and you loose the seal.

          The Dayseal version doesn't have the fins. I bought one a while back but I
          haven't tried it yet.

          The gasket less Cory models have a different configuration. The top of the
          pot and a horizontal ring area on the bottom of the top bowl are ground very
          flat. I've been using one as my daily driver for years now. That's why I
          haven't gotten around to trying the new gasket. lol

          Brian

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2 5:35 AM
            Brian,
            Yes I have owned quite a few Cory Glass Seal pots, or gasket-less models if you wish. I noticed I think you mention that the cory top on the sunbeam could bounce and lose its vacuum. That is one flaw the glass pots have. I found that sitting a china coffee saucer on the top of the upper bowl worked well to keep the thing from bouncing. I liked it because it didn't require the touchy rubber seals as they could be. I have a cory now and was lucky to get an unused seal from a member, it has worked perfectly so far. I don't know if one day the heat will start to effect its ability to seal easily or not, but it seems something goes wrong with many older seals after a while.  I ran across a sort of odd shaped aluminum pot the other day with a nice metal filter system, the name of which  escapes me at the moment. I would have picked it up as it was reasonable except that the rubber was so shrunk and hard that the top just rocked on the lower pot and its
            chances of ever working were pretty slim.
            Larry

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 3 10:57 AM
              Gee, I never considered it a flaw that you have to hold the top pot of a
              glass seal Cory down for a few seconds after putting it on the boiling water
              pot. It's been my experience that by the time the top bowl is half full of
              water there is enough weight to keep the pot from bouncing. I'm right there
              anyway because I like to stir the coffee grounds to break up any clumps that
              haven't gotten wet yet.

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3 5:31 PM
                I guess its not  a flaw. But under some conditions until the water reaches the level to hold the top in place it wants often to bounce around and I have had it to break the vacuum when it did.  Other wise they are a great way to avoid gasket issues.
                Larry

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3 6:20 PM
                  Ah yes . . . If a glass seal Cory top slides/bounces sideways enough it can
                  break the vacuum because the central funnel of the top pot will climb up a
                  bit on the rim of the lower pot and sometimes it won't slide back down all
                  the way.