Sunbeam A10 Perk Adjustment needed.

  • larry h
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9 8:39 PM
      Hello All,

      I am tinkering with a 50's Sunbeam AP10 percolator. I know we have some who posted vacuum pot adjusting information. I am wondering if anyone has a link to or knowledge of how to adjust the mechanism in these? I have a smaller on which works pretty much as it should. The one I got today at first shut down way too fast. I took off the bottom and the only adjustment I could see easily was the large nut that the strength setting dial works. It moves the set of contacts inward and outward. I tried to move it inward some and it perked way too long and wouldn't shut off, but it was doing that even when it was shutting down too soon by restarting the perk as soon as the pot came to a rest, the light goes on and off denoting that its heating or perking which it should stop after it reaches the correct times. So not being much of a mechanic I think I have done all I can. Anyone have any experience with adjusting these? Also I don't know for sure what is the control to the water temperature of the pot after it perks?

      Larry
    • John A.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10 10:21 AM
        Hi Larry,

        I just uploaded scans of the Sunbeam Bulletin for the AP10 Percolator into the photos. There are pretty detailed instructions for the adjustment. Hope it helps you out. Let us know how it goes!

        Regards,
        John A. (iluv_vac)
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10 10:29 AM
          John,
          Thanks so much for that addition to the group.  I will certainly give it a look over soon and see if it will help me to get it going right.  So far its either shutting off and then attempting to still perk, always when it shuts off too soon, or like before it just runs on and on.  I am a bit afraid after looking it over pretty well that there may be some things that aren't right that do not have adjustments.
          I was looking in my how to do it book last night and of course when it gets to the parts that most perks used, it says to take it to your repair man..  Too bad there isn't one..  Well now that I just thought that over it may be that tossing a bad one is cheaper by far.  I recall a Farberware Robot I sent off for repairs to a fellow who claimed to be able to fix them and it ended up making three trips before I finally had to quit trying to get it to work.
          Will update you when I know more.  At least now I perhaps will see what kinds of adjustments do what.
          Larry

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10 10:41 AM
            You are quite welcome, Larry. By the way, here is the album link:

            The photos uploaded out of order, but I straightened them out in the album. I had one of these percolators once, but got rid of it because I didn't think it made very good coffee. That was before I got my Sunbeam Manual, so I never worked on it. Sorry I can't be of more help to you. Good Luck!

            John A.

            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

            > John,
            > Thanks so much for that addition to the group.  I will certainly give it a look over soon and see if it will help me to get it going right.  So far its either shutting off and then attempting to still perk, always when it shuts off too soon, or like before it just runs on and on.  I am a bit afraid after looking it over pretty well that there may be some things that aren't right that do not have adjustments.
            > I was looking in my how to do it book last night and of course when it gets to the parts that most perks used, it says to take it to your repair man..  Too bad there isn't one..  Well now that I just thought that over it may be that tossing a bad one is cheaper by far.  I recall a Farberware Robot I sent off for repairs to a fellow who claimed to be able to fix them and it ended up making three trips before I finally had to quit trying to get it to work.
            > Will update you when I know more.  At least now I perhaps will see what kinds of adjustments do what.
            > Larry

          • larry h
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10 11:01 AM
              John

              I took a quick look to see the fast basics.. Pretty complicated stuff for me, but at least it tells what the simpler adjustments to the heating element are and what the temperature of the water should be.

              Those pots are seemingly rated as about the best of the automatic perks and the smaller AC model I have which is working fine, makes a surprisingly good cup of coffee. I know I go on from time to time about other methods but I have found with a lot of trials that well perked coffee, ( which is often hard to get), can produce a rich flavor that my drip or vacuum pots miss in the same beans so I keep trying various ones. When I spotted this one I knew it was a mess from the looks of the dried on coffee, but it was cheap and worth at least trying to make a go of it. The AP which was my first one is smaller and a 8 cup pot I found for a couple dollars at a thrift shop and I would never have dreamed it would work let alone do it well. But it does.

              Thanks for being so kind as to share your instruction manual. I think I will post a note about it on the group description as lots of people out there are looking for information on them. I couldn't find anything on the net, at least in my first attempts.

              Larry