New to group with a question

  • Cape Cod Bch Bum
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2011
      Hi y'all

      I found this group when I began looking for a coffee maker to replace my Bodum Santos that was recently broken. I decided that, rather than replace it with another new one, I would try to find a Cory or Silex on Ebay.
      I wasn't prepared for the number of choices that were available. I didn't realize there were so many that had survived. To make a long story short, I found a few I liked and wound up purchasing 3, 1 for use and 2 for display.
      One of the display choices is a Silex model, the top is marked Silex 1 UW-8 made in USA. The lower is marked Silex 1 LW-8 made in USA. It has a white handle, pouring cap and "skirt" (I don't know if that is the proper term or not).
      My question is this:
      It is lightly coffee stained on the plastic parts. Should I attempt to disassemble it and try to remove the stains, or would it be preferable to leave it as it is?
      Second, what should I use to clean them? Someone suggested using a glass bowl filled with water and Efferdent Denture Cleaner.

      Thanks for any advise you can give me
      Tom C
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2011
        HI Tom,
        Welcome to the group.  Yes these can be quite addicting as are most collectables, I guess that is why they call them that.. I would be cautious about removing the plastic or bakelite parts from the carafe as often they are quite tightly stuck to the pot and it is pretty easy to have it break apart during removal.  I haven't done it for some time but I would think that soaking the pot with the parts in place with hot sudsy water would help to loosen them if they are tightly stuck..   As to cleaning the glass, I have never tried the denture cleaner but I use either white vinegar or CLR liquid available at all grocers to soak the pots to remove build up of water scale.  Sometimes previous owners have used scouring materials on the pots to clean them and they develop a cloudy look which will not come off.  Good luck.
        Larry

        Message 3 of 4 , May 18, 2011
          Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. The glass is spotless, it's the plastic parts that are lightly coffee stained. I guess I could soak the whole assembly without trying to disassemble it though... frankly I hadn't considered doing that. I also hadn't considered that the plastic might have adhered to the glass over the years. I doubt that the Efferdent would hurt the glass any, so I suppose that might work, I'd just need to use a larger bowl. It was the plastic's reaction when exposed to the Efferdent that I was worried about.
          On a related issue... from the markings on the glass, can the approx. age be determined?
          Tom C

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

          > HI Tom,
          > Welcome to the group.  Yes these can be quite addicting as are most collectables, I guess that is why they call them that.. I would be cautious about removing the plastic or bakelite parts from the carafe as often they are quite tightly stuck to the pot and it is pretty easy to have it break apart during removal.  I haven't done it for some time but I would think that soaking the pot with the parts in place with hot sudsy water would help to loosen them if they are tightly stuck..   As to cleaning the glass, I have never tried the denture cleaner but I use either white vinegar or CLR liquid available at all grocers to soak the pots to remove build up of water scale.  Sometimes previous owners have used scouring materials on the pots to clean them and they develop a cloudy look which will not come off.  Good luck.
          > Larry

        • Philip
          Message 4 of 4 , May 19, 2011
            Tom,

            I would be very careful using anything besides soap and water on the stain. The "plastic" is a variety of Bakelite and is not at all like modern plastics. It is difficult to work with and gets harder to work with as it ages. There are some members of this group who are more knowledgeable about Bakelite and how to work with it than I am. Maybe they can give you some good tips. The main point is to be careful not to make the situation worse. Don't put the pot in the dishwasher, it is not good for the seals or the Bakelite.

            Congratulations on your purchases and welcome to the group!

            Philip