Re: GE Automatic

  • long9875
    Message 1 of 24 , May 13, 2006
      Hello Desco - The Sunbeam chrome,Westinghouse "Bullet" chrome and
      the Manning Bowman glass all seemed to have inferno-like heaters.
      With the Sunbeam and Westinghouse you were stuck with the heater
      because it was integral and couldn't be escaped hence burnt coffee.
      The Manning Bowman glass has this wicked stove that gets very hot
      and cools down about like a kiln even when turned off. Forget "low" -
      it still boils the water too fiercely. You have to take it off the
      stove as soon as the water has risen because the stove is so hot it
      is sending boiling water up there, but as soon as the pot is taken
      off the coffee proceeds down too soon. This can be a dilemma with
      certain vacpots. The stoves or integral heating elements aren't
      really balanced or tuned very well with correct process. Of course,
      the solution can be to just ignore the stove and use a gas stove top
      where the heat can be more finely controlled.
      While I'm here I guess I should mention another trick that some
      new people to vacpots might not know about. With the
      Cory "gasketless" one can use molasses or honey as a "glue" to
      temporarily bind the upper and lower vessels together so that vapor
      and pressure don't leak out - a common problem with gasketless
      Cory's.

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Desco Duck"
      <desco_duck@...> wrote:

      > Hello EML, sounds like you have done some interesting research.
      Thanks for the tips.
      > You mention that some of the pots stayed too hot when the burner
      was turned to warm or off. Are you referring to during the brewing
      cycle? Even though the cory burners have that low setting on them,
      I never use a burner to keep coffee warm, just a thermos carafe.
      Does the trick nicely without continuing to cook the coffee into
      sludge. If we wanted 7/11 or Circle K coffee we wouldn't be vac pot
      collectors would we? LOL

      > Roland Burritt

      I'm not
      > sure whether the foil would function as an insulator or a
      > dissipator. EML
      >

      > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Desco Duck"
      > <desco_duck@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Larry, I haven't used the GE Automatic but I can tell you
      that
      > all my countertop burners have this issue. Even if you unplug
      them
      > when the lower pot boils and starts pushing steam through the
      top,
      > the ambient heat created on the burner keeps the pot boiling and
      > brewing. I always have to move it off the burner onto a hotpad
      > let it finish the cycle and create the vacuum.
      > >
      > > What I'm thinking is that the Automatic function is more of a
      > safety feature than anything. It may have been designed to be
      > automatic, but since it's such an early prototype, it was
      probably
      > very inefficient from the get-go (ie: brewed the coffee for a
      long
      > period of time). The advantage to the automatic is that if you
      look
      > away or accidentally forget that you have it going, it will go
      ahead
      > and shut off and you won't have to worry about boiling
      dry/cracking,
      > etc.
      > >
      > > I doubt GE would put that in their marketing materials, since
      their
      > goal was to sell coffee makers under the guise of making
      everything
      > easier. However, maybe 6-7 minutes was GE's idea of a good cup
      of
      > coffee. It was Cory who devised the 1-3 minute standard for
      their
      > own purposes, but that doesn't mean the other manufacturers
      bought
      > into that.
      > >
      > > Look how many people still drink percolated coffee to this
      > day...myself included, on occasion. There is no better way to
      get
      > good rich full flavored HOT coffee from flavored beans, other
      than
      > percolating, preferably in a Pyrex pot...just my opinion.
      > >
      > > Roland Burritt

      Housewares
      > > Capresso coffee maker Espresso coffee maker
      Commercial
      > coffee makers

      Terms

      Message 2 of 24 , May 14, 2006
        Since you brought up the subject of the over heating
        of some of the units I wonder if the wattage used in
        the design is a factor. I have several Knapp Monarchs
        that I use now and then. They have a rated wattage of
        700 compared to 800 to 1200 for cory and sunbeam. I
        know the sunbeams are thought to operate to hot for
        good brewing, but does the lower wattage of the Knapp
        Monarch make it easier on the coffee? I notice the
        Knapp Monarchs seem as though they have nearly no
        interest from collectors? They make 10 cups which is
        a nice feature if you have company and I have found
        they work pretty well. Of course I have gone though a
        couple of them also that didn't have the correct
        timeing. They have two sets of cogg like wheels in the
        bottom access, I figure one is brew time and one is
        warm temperature. Any body know for sure, and if so
        which one does what. When you hold it upside down one
        wheel is in front of the other.

        Larry Hollenberg

        === message truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Desco Duck
        Message 3 of 24 , May 14, 2006
          Larry I have not seen the Knapp Monarch, just wondering if you have a picture of it as well as the mechanism you are talking about?  The photos on the board are great, thank you to all the members who posted.

          Roland Burritt

          --- long9875 <long9875@...> wrote:

          > Hello Desco - The Sunbeam chrome,Westinghouse
          > "Bullet" chrome and
          > the Manning Bowman glass all seemed to have
          > inferno-like heaters.
          > With the Sunbeam and Westinghouse you were stuck
          > with the heater
          > because it was integral and couldn't be escaped
          > hence burnt coffee.
          > The Manning Bowman glass has this wicked stove that
          > gets very hot
          > and cools down about like a kiln even when turned
          > off. Forget "low" -
          >  it still boils the water too fiercely. You have to
          > take it off the
          > stove as soon as the water has risen because the
          > stove is so hot it
          > is sending boiling water up there, but as soon as
          > the pot is taken
          > off the coffee proceeds down too soon. This can be a
          > dilemma with
          > certain vacpots. The stoves or integral heating
          > elements aren't
          > really balanced or tuned very well with correct
          > process. Of course,
          > the solution can be to just ignore the stove and use
          > a gas stove top
          > where the heat can be more finely controlled.
          >    While I'm here I guess I should mention another
          > trick that some
          > new people to vacpots might not know about. With the
          >
          > Cory "gasketless" one can use molasses or honey as a
          > "glue" to
          > temporarily bind the upper and lower vessels
          > together so that vapor
          > and pressure don't leak out - a common problem with
          > gasketless
          > Cory's.
          >

          > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com,
          > "Desco Duck"
          > <desco_duck@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello EML, sounds like you have done some
          > interesting research.
          > Thanks for the tips.
          > > You mention that some of the pots stayed too hot
          > when the burner
          > was turned to warm or off.  Are you referring to
          > during the brewing
          > cycle?  Even though the cory burners have that low
          > setting on them,
          > I never use a burner to keep coffee warm, just a
          > thermos carafe.
          > Does the trick nicely without continuing to cook the
          > coffee into
          > sludge.  If we wanted 7/11 or Circle K coffee we
          > wouldn't be vac pot
          > collectors would we?  LOL
          > >
          > > Roland Burritt

          === message truncated ===

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Tony Solomon
          Message 4 of 24 , May 14, 2006
            Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 1:39 PM

            --- long9875 <long9875@...> wrote:

            > Hello Desco - The Sunbeam chrome,Westinghouse
            > "Bullet" chrome and
            > the Manning Bowman glass all seemed to have
            > inferno-like heaters.
            > With the Sunbeam and Westinghouse you were stuck
            > with the heater
            > because it was integral and couldn't be escaped
            > hence burnt coffee.
            > The Manning Bowman glass has this wicked stove that
            > gets very hot
            > and cools down about like a kiln even when turned
            > off. Forget "low" -
            >  it still boils the water too fiercely. You have to
            > take it off the
            > stove as soon as the water has risen because the
            > stove is so hot it
            > is sending boiling water up there, but as soon as
            > the pot is taken
            > off the coffee proceeds down too soon. This can be a
            > dilemma with
            > certain vacpots. The stoves or integral heating
            > elements aren't
            > really balanced or tuned very well with correct
            > process. Of course,
            > the solution can be to just ignore the stove and use
            > a gas stove top
            > where the heat can be more finely controlled.
            >    While I'm here I guess I should mention another
            > trick that some
            > new people to vacpots might not know about. With the
            >
            > Cory "gasketless" one can use molasses or honey as a
            > "glue" to
            > temporarily bind the upper and lower vessels
            > together so that vapor
            > and pressure don't leak out - a common problem with
            > gasketless
            > Cory's.
            >

            > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com,
            > "Desco Duck"
            > <desco_duck@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello EML, sounds like you have done some
            > interesting research.
            > Thanks for the tips.
            > > You mention that some of the pots stayed too hot
            > when the burner
            > was turned to warm or off.  Are you referring to
            > during the brewing
            > cycle?  Even though the cory burners have that low
            > setting on them,
            > I never use a burner to keep coffee warm, just a
            > thermos carafe.
            > Does the trick nicely without continuing to cook the
            > coffee into
            > sludge.  If we wanted 7/11 or Circle K coffee we
            > wouldn't be vac pot
            > collectors would we?  LOL
            > >
            > > Roland Burritt

            === message truncated ===

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • long9875
            Message 5 of 24 , May 14, 2006
              Hey Larry - It always seemed to me that it wasn't so much a question
              of wattage so much as it was a question of how the stove was
              ventilated. EML

              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg
              <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > together so that vapor
              > > and pressure don't leak out - a common problem with
              > > gasketless
              > > Cory's.
              > >

              > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com,
              > > "Desco Duck"
              > > <desco_duck@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello EML, sounds like you have done some
              > > interesting research.
              > > Thanks for the tips.
              > > > You mention that some of the pots stayed too hot
              > > when the burner
              > > was turned to warm or off. Are you referring to
              > > during the brewing
              > > cycle? Even though the cory burners have that low
              > > setting on them,
              > > I never use a burner to keep coffee warm, just a
              > > thermos carafe.
              > > Does the trick nicely without continuing to cook the
              > > coffee into
              > > sludge. If we wanted 7/11 or Circle K coffee we

            • vacpot
              Message 6 of 24 , May 23, 2006
                Larry, got my GE Automatic yesterday and tried it out this morning.
                Here's the results: I used 5 cups of cold water (up to the widest
                part of the glass pot). It took 8 min. for the auto shut off to kick
                in and another 8 min. before it started heading south with less than a
                minute to completion. It tastes fine to me but this is slower than I
                expected. It is totally automatic though, when it's done brewing the
                stove comes back on to keep the coffee hot. Dave

                Message 7 of 24 , May 23, 2006
                  Hi Dave,

                  Thanks for the report. Your timing seems even a bit
                  longer than mine, but then I think it ranged from 5
                  minutes to 8 minutes after the magnetic switch shut
                  the burner off. I am starting to think that as people
                  are saying, they just take too long to cool off and
                  allow the water back down. It is a neat idea though
                  and and interesting looking pot. I think the stove
                  design is nice also, and it doesn't get red hot as
                  some. I have noticed that the silex with the toggle
                  switch is much cooler to the touch also. They must
                  have been getting the same complaints then. To days
                  lawyers would be even richer which those early units.

                  Funny that you were testing your new delivery as I was
                  also testing this morning a Sunbeam I picked up to
                  replace the bottom on my Glass Top Model. It was one
                  of the ones that was pretty well stuck together. The
                  unit is like new, and looks hardly ever used, but
                  faulty rubber seal so many had. Fortunately I didn't
                  need that part. The timing on it is about 2 1/2
                  minutes till the water goes down. Which it didn't with
                  the grounds in it. It has the style Sunbeam filter
                  with the little raised cup like piece over the filter,
                  I don't know exactly what that design was supposed to
                  do? Maybe one of our members knows? I am going to
                  try it again with just the screen type in place and
                  see if it stalls again. I was sort of surprised that
                  the coffee didn't taste too bad that did make its way
                  down, I allowed a little more water to grounds knowing
                  it would run a little longer. It could be that would
                  work with the GE Automatic also. That makes me want to
                  give that a try.
                  Forgot to ask, which filter is with yours. Mine has
                  the cloth I was discussing recently here.

                  Larry Hollenberg
                  Moderator

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Desco Duck
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 23, 2006
                    Larry, I have a Sunbeam coffeemaster that has the lower/upper stuck together.  It was like that when I got it.  Do you or anyone else know a trick for getting them separated?  Do you think some soap or vegetable oil might work?  I wouldnt' want to use WD40 on there since it's a food prep item.

                    Roland Burritt

                    --- vacpot <smithsland@...> wrote:

                    > Larry, got my GE Automatic yesterday and tried it
                    > out this morning.
                    > Here's the results:  I used 5 cups of cold water (up
                    > to the widest
                    > part of the glass pot).  It took 8 min. for the auto
                    > shut off to kick
                    > in and another 8 min. before it started heading
                    > south with less than a
                    > minute to completion.  It tastes fine to me but this
                    > is slower than I
                    > expected.  It is totally automatic though, when it's
                    > done brewing the
                    > stove comes back on to keep the coffee hot.  Dave
                    >

                    > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com,
                    > "larry hollenberg"
                    > <larryhollenb@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi friends,
                    > >
                    > > Now that we have a little larger pool of members I
                    > am wondering if
                    > some of you have had
                    > > experience with the GE Automatic Vaccum and its
                    > stove.
                    > >
                    > > I purchased a nice looking one on ebay, and the
                    > stove lights and
                    > shuts down when the
                    > > little magnetic part is raised as it should. But
                    > then I wonder about
                    > the timing. It ends up
                    > > brewing for from 5 to 8 minutes. Way to long!  Has
                    > anyone else had
                    > experience with these
                    > > to know if they originally returned the coffee
                    > quicker to the
                    > bottom?  The instructions say
                    > > it automatically does it all, but If I don't
                    > remove the pot after
                    > minute or two it will way over
                    > > do the brewing cycle. I wonder if mine is
                    > operating to hot?
                    > >
                    > > Larry Hollenberg
                    > > Moderator

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • vacpotaddict
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 23, 2006
                      Larry,

                      Unfortunately the GE Auto has no adjustment for the stove's time on
                      high power.

                      Here's an easy way around it that will allow you to use the GE. If
                      the up time is consistent, just put the grounds into the upper after
                      the water has been up for a bit. Drop the grounds in when the
                      remainder up time will allow proper steeping.

                      This doesn't fix the stove and is not a "hands off" solution but
                      allows the pot to be used.

                      David

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 23, 2006
                        Hi David,

                        I tried the GE again this afternoon to see if using
                        less grounds would work out. It went for nearly the 8
                        minutes mentioned earlier. I had found that if came to
                        having to manually add the grounds later, I might as
                        well just remove the pot after it brews for a minute,
                        when it comes back down I put in on to keep it warm.
                        The 8 minute brew cycle made lousy coffee.

                        Larry Hollenberg
                        Moderator

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Desco Duck
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 23, 2006
                          Larry, are you a tea drinker?  I wonder if anyone has tried brewing tea on that 8 minute cycle.  I bet it comes out nice.  7-8 minutes is a good steeping time for tea.

                          Roland Burritt

                          I tried the GE again this afternoon to see if using
                          less grounds would work out. It went for nearly the 8
                          minutes mentioned earlier. I had found that if came to
                          having to manually add the grounds later, I might as
                          well just remove the pot after it brews for a minute,
                          when it comes back down I put in on to keep it warm.
                          The 8 minute brew cycle made lousy coffee.

                          Larry Hollenberg
                          Moderator

                          --- vacpotaddict <vacpotaddict@...> wrote:

                          > Larry,
                          >
                          > Unfortunately the GE Auto has no adjustment for the
                          > stove's time on
                          > high power.
                          >
                          > Here's an easy way around it that will allow you to
                          > use the GE.  If
                          > the up time is consistent, just put the grounds into
                          > the upper after
                          > the water has been up for a bit.  Drop the grounds
                          > in when the
                          > remainder up time will allow proper steeping.
                          >
                          > This doesn't fix the stove and is not a "hands off"
                          > solution but
                          > allows the pot to be used.
                          >

                          > David
                          >

                          > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com,
                          > "larry hollenberg"
                          > <larryhollenb@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi friends,
                          > >
                          > > Now that we have a little larger pool of members I
                          > am wondering if
                          > some of you have had
                          > > experience with the GE Automatic Vaccum and its
                          > stove.
                          > >
                          > > I purchased a nice looking one on ebay, and the
                          > stove lights and
                          > shuts down when the
                          > > little magnetic part is raised as it should. But
                          > then I wonder about
                          > the timing. It ends up
                          > > brewing for from 5 to 8 minutes. Way to long!  Has
                          > anyone else had
                          > experience with these
                          > > to know if they originally returned the coffee
                          > quicker to the
                          > bottom?  The instructions say
                          > > it automatically does it all, but If I don't
                          > remove the pot after
                          > minute or two it will way over
                          > > do the brewing cycle. I wonder if mine is
                          > operating to hot?
                          > >
                          > > Larry Hollenberg
                          > > Moderator

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • vacpot
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 23, 2006
                            Larry, I used the glass rod that came with it. It's smaller than a
                            Cory, don't know if it's original to the coffee pot or not. Have you
                            ever used a Coffee Robot that still functioned properly? If any other
                            members have one that works correctly I'd like to know if they are as
                            long as these GE automatics. Dave

                            <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > >
                            > > > Now that we have a little larger pool of members I
                            > > am wondering if
                            > > some of you have had
                            > > > experience with the GE Automatic Vaccum and its
                            > > stove.
                            > > >
                            > > > I purchased a nice looking one on ebay, and the
                            > > stove lights and
                            > > shuts down when the
                            > > > little magnetic part is raised as it should. But
                            > > then I wonder about
                            > > the timing. It ends up
                            > > > brewing for from 5 to 8 minutes. Way to long! Has
                            > > anyone else had
                            > > experience with these
                            > > > to know if they originally returned the coffee
                            > > quicker to the
                            > > bottom? The instructions say
                            > > > it automatically does it all, but If I don't
                            > > remove the pot after
                            > > minute or two it will way over
                            > > > do the brewing cycle. I wonder if mine is

                          • Ian Bersten
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 23, 2006
                              If the time isn't correct add the coffee after two or three minutes rather than brew under strength coffee.

                              Ian

                              At 12:30 PM 24/05/2006, you wrote:
                              Hi David,

                              I tried the GE again this afternoon to see if using
                              less grounds would work out. It went for nearly the 8
                              minutes mentioned earlier. I had found that if came to
                              having to manually add the grounds later, I might as
                              well just remove the pot after it brews for a minute,
                              when it comes back down I put in on to keep it warm.
                              The 8 minute brew cycle made lousy coffee.

                              Larry Hollenberg
                              Moderator

                              --- vacpotaddict <vacpotaddict@...> wrote:

                              > Larry,
                              >
                              > Unfortunately the GE Auto has no adjustment for the
                              > stove's time on
                              > high power.
                              >
                              > Here's an easy way around it that will allow you to
                              > use the GE.  If
                              > the up time is consistent, just put the grounds into
                              > the upper after
                              > the water has been up for a bit.  Drop the grounds
                              > in when the
                              > remainder up time will allow proper steeping.
                              >
                              > This doesn't fix the stove and is not a "hands off"
                              > solution but
                              > allows the pot to be used.
                              >

                              > David
                              >

                              > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com,
                              > "larry hollenberg"
                              > <larryhollenb@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi friends,
                              > >
                              > > Now that we have a little larger pool of members I
                              > am wondering if
                              > some of you have had
                              > > experience with the GE Automatic Vaccum and its
                              > stove.
                              > >
                              > > I purchased a nice looking one on ebay, and the
                              > stove lights and
                              > shuts down when the
                              > > little magnetic part is raised as it should. But
                              > then I wonder about
                              > the timing. It ends up
                              > > brewing for from 5 to 8 minutes. Way to long!  Has
                              > anyone else had
                              > experience with these
                              > > to know if they originally returned the coffee
                              > quicker to the
                              > bottom?  The instructions say
                              > > it automatically does it all, but If I don't
                              > remove the pot after
                              > minute or two it will way over
                              > > do the brewing cycle. I wonder if mine is
                              > operating to hot?
                              > >
                              > > Larry Hollenberg
                              > > Moderator

                              http://mail.yahoo.com

                              Vacuum coffee maker Coffee makers Housewares
                              Capresso coffee maker Espresso coffee maker Commercial coffee makers

                              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                              --
                              Please note my new addresses:

                              Ian Bersten
                              ianbersten@...

                            • Ian Bersten
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 23, 2006
                                only very large leaf - max is normally 6 minutes

                                Ian

                                At 12:37 PM 24/05/2006, you wrote:
                                Larry, are you a tea drinker?  I wonder if anyone has tried brewing tea on that 8 minute cycle.  I bet it comes out nice.  7-8 minutes is a good steeping time for tea.

                                Roland Burritt

                                I tried the GE again this afternoon to see if using
                                less grounds would work out. It went for nearly the 8
                                minutes mentioned earlier. I had found that if came to
                                having to manually add the grounds later, I might as
                                well just remove the pot after it brews for a minute,
                                when it comes back down I put in on to keep it warm.
                                The 8 minute brew cycle made lousy coffee.

                                Larry Hollenberg
                                Moderator

                                --- vacpotaddict <vacpotaddict@...> wrote:

                                > Larry,
                                >
                                > Unfortunately the GE Auto has no adjustment for the
                                > stove's time on
                                > high power.
                                >
                                > Here's an easy way around it that will allow you to
                                > use the GE.  If
                                > the up time is consistent, just put the grounds into
                                > the upper after
                                > the water has been up for a bit.  Drop the grounds
                                > in when the
                                > remainder up time will allow proper steeping.
                                >
                                > This doesn't fix the stove and is not a "hands off"
                                > solution but
                                > allows the pot to be used.
                                >

                                > David
                                >

                                > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com,
                                > "larry hollenberg"
                                > <larryhollenb@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi friends,
                                > >
                                > > Now that we have a little larger pool of members I
                                > am wondering if
                                > some of you have had
                                > > experience with the GE Automatic Vaccum and its
                                > stove.
                                > >
                                > > I purchased a nice looking one on ebay, and the
                                > stove lights and
                                > shuts down when the
                                > > little magnetic part is raised as it should. But
                                > then I wonder about
                                > the timing. It ends up
                                > > brewing for from 5 to 8 minutes. Way to long!  Has
                                > anyone else had
                                > experience with these
                                > > to know if they originally returned the coffee
                                > quicker to the
                                > bottom?  The instructions say
                                > > it automatically does it all, but If I don't
                                > remove the pot after
                                > minute or two it will way over
                                > > do the brewing cycle. I wonder if mine is
                                > operating to hot?
                                > >
                                > > Larry Hollenberg
                                > > Moderator

                                http://mail.yahoo.com

                                Vacuum coffee maker Coffee makers Housewares
                                Capresso coffee maker Espresso coffee maker Commercial coffee makers

                                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                 Visit your group " vacuumcoffeepotcollector" on the web.

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 24, 2006
                                  Ian,

                                  Since I have just recently met you though our site, I
                                  would be interested to hear what your thoughts are on
                                  the proper brewing time might be for vacuum coffee
                                  makers?

                                  Larry Hollenberg
                                  Moderator

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 24, 2006
                                    Dave,

                                    since the coffee robot had an adjustment screw, I
                                    would think that like most of the other built in
                                    elements, such as sunbeam, cory, ect,.that the robot
                                    should have been more adjustable than the GE. Most
                                    other built in elements return much quicker. My new
                                    sunbeam goes south in about 2 1/2 minutes. About half
                                    that time it just sits there between gurgles.

                                    Larry Hollenberg
                                    Moderator

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • Ian Bersten
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 24, 2006
                                      Larry,

                                      The proper brewing time for any coffee depends on the grind size and this is usually determined by the size of the filtering apparatus.  If the filter can hold back very find grind coffee and the coffee is very fine ground then the brewing time is short.  If the grind is coarse then the brewing time is coarse.

                                      Having said that I must insist that this is theory - if you like fine grind coffee brewed for a long time and you prefer it to all other coffee, then that is the right formula for you and nobody can contradict you.  In general the theory is - fine grind short brewing time, coarse, long brewing time.  The fact that vacpots utilise water that is very hot changes the equations slightly.

                                      My next book will discuss the fact that all the rules are arbitrary.  I can only suggest that you make several different pots with precisely measured - i.e. weighed amounts of coffee and change the brew times and compare the results if you can.  This step is very difficult.  You might just for fun save  the same amount of coffee in a glass in the refrigerator and taste when cold or even keep some coffee in cups sitting in very hot water so that coffees are the same temperature and compare.  My guess is your taste buds cannot cope.

                                      I have probably gone too far and taken all the fun out of a cup of coffee.   Sorry.

                                      Ian

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 24, 2006
                                        Hi Ian, that's what I had already told Larry.

                                        Larry, I didn't mean for you to use less grounds... by "drop the
                                        grounds" I meant "insert the grounds" Using less will give you a
                                        bitter cup as well by over extracting. Use the correct amount of
                                        grounds for the amount of water you are using. If the up north time
                                        is off then your only solution is to put the grounds in after the
                                        water has been up north for the "excess" time. But, as you said, it's
                                        just as easy to remove the pot after the appropriate steep.

                                        David

                                        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Ian Bersten
                                        <helian@...> wrote:

                                        > If the time isn't correct add the coffee after two or three minutes
                                        > rather than brew under strength coffee.
                                        >
                                        > Ian
                                        >
                                        > At 12:30 PM 24/05/2006, you wrote:
                                        > >Hi David,
                                        > >
                                        > >I tried the GE again this afternoon to see if using
                                        > >less grounds would work out. It went for nearly the 8
                                        > >minutes mentioned earlier. I had found that if came to
                                        > >having to manually add the grounds later, I might as
                                        > >well just remove the pot after it brews for a minute,
                                        > >when it comes back down I put in on to keep it warm.
                                        > >The 8 minute brew cycle made lousy coffee.
                                        > >
                                        > >Larry Hollenberg
                                        > >Moderator
                                        > >
                                        > >--- vacpotaddict <vacpotaddict@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > Larry,
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Unfortunately the GE Auto has no adjustment for the
                                        > > > stove's time on
                                        > > > high power.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Here's an easy way around it that will allow you to
                                        > > > use the GE. If
                                        > > > the up time is consistent, just put the grounds into
                                        > > > the upper after
                                        > > > the water has been up for a bit. Drop the grounds
                                        > > > in when the
                                        > > > remainder up time will allow proper steeping.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > This doesn't fix the stove and is not a "hands off"
                                        > > > solution but
                                        > > > allows the pot to be used.
                                        > > >

                                        > > > David
                                        > > >

                                        > > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com,

                                        > > > am wondering if
                                        > > > some of you have had
                                        > > > stove.

                                        > > > stove lights and
                                        > > > shuts down when the
                                        > > > then I wonder about
                                        > > > the timing. It ends up
                                        > > > anyone else had
                                        > > > experience with these
                                        > > > quicker to the
                                        > > > bottom? The instructions say
                                        > > > remove the pot after
                                        > > > minute or two it will way over
                                        > > > operating to hot?

                                        > ><http://mail.yahoo.com>http://mail.yahoo.com

                                        > >coffee maker

                                        > >makers

                                        > >coffee maker

                                        > >coffee maker

                                        > >coffee makers

                                        > > on the web.
                                        > > *
                                        > > *

                                        > > *
                                        > >

                                        > >----------
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > Please note my new addresses:
                                        >
                                        > Ian Bersten
                                        > ianbersten@...

                                      • vacpotaddict
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 24, 2006
                                          Larry,

                                          I see that Ian posted regarding his book, he should have said books.
                                          Here's a couple links for you.

                                          http://www.biblio.com/books/45546847.html
                                          http://www.espresso101.com/item/coffee-sex-health
                                          http://www.gardfoods.com/coffee/coffee.book.htm

                                          Didn't know you had a "celebrity" in your midst did you. ;)

                                          David

                                          <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

                                          > Ian,
                                          >
                                          > Since I have just recently met you though our site, I
                                          > would be interested to hear what your thoughts are on
                                          > the proper brewing time might be for vacuum coffee
                                          > makers?
                                          >
                                          > Larry Hollenberg
                                          > Moderator
                                          >
                                          > --- Ian Bersten <helian@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > If the time isn't correct add the coffee after two
                                          > > or three minutes
                                          > > rather than brew under strength coffee.
                                          > >
                                          > > Ian
                                          > >
                                          > > At 12:30 PM 24/05/2006, you wrote:
                                          > > >Hi David,
                                          > > >
                                          > > >I tried the GE again this afternoon to see if using
                                          > > >less grounds would work out. It went for nearly the
                                          > > 8
                                          > > >minutes mentioned earlier. I had found that if came
                                          > > >having to manually add the grounds later, I might
                                          > > as
                                          > > >well just remove the pot after it brews for a
                                          > > minute,
                                          > > >when it comes back down I put in on to keep it
                                          > > warm.
                                          > > >The 8 minute brew cycle made lousy coffee.
                                          > > >
                                          > > >Larry Hollenberg
                                          > > >Moderator

                                          > > the

                                          > > into
                                          > > grounds

                                          > > off"

                                          > > members I
                                          > > its

                                          > > the
                                          > > But
                                          > > Has

                                          > > >Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
                                          > > protection around
                                          > > ><http://mail.yahoo.com>http://mail.yahoo.com

                                          > > >coffee maker

                                          > > >makers

                                          > > >coffee maker

                                          > > >coffee maker

                                          > > >coffee makers

                                          > > > on the web.
                                          > > > *
                                          > > > * To unsubscribe from this group, send an
                                          > > email to:
                                          > > > *

                                          > > > *
                                          > > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of
                                          > > Service.

                                          > > --
                                          > > Please note my new addresses:
                                          > >
                                          > > Ian Bersten
                                          > > ianbersten@...

                                          > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                        • Ian Bersten
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 24, 2006
                                            the book is still  available for $80 Aust which equates to around US  $60 plus postage.  Has all the history of vacuum pots in it.

                                            IOan