Re: [vacpot] Grind Size

  • Dave Leonard
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
      This could be an interesting topic.

       I remember an older pro grinder in one of our local grocery stores that had had the top setting labeled "coarse", then a ways below that was "drip", just below that was "perc", below that was "auto drip", and finally, on the bottom, was "espresso".

      When talking vintage coffee pots and grinders, we need to remember that there was no "auto drip" before sometime in the mid/late 60's. Remember Joe DiMaggio and Mr. Coffee? On those old pre 60's coffee pots, drip grind was close to perc grind in size. Auto drip grind, using paper filters, is much finer. Also, when we read old instructions with vac brewers, they recommend a slightly finer grind than drip. They mean the old fashioned drip, which is similar to perc grind. Lots of confusion has been caused because of this.

      I seen the pictures of the Bodum Bistro vs store grind. The size the Bodum has as it's largest size should be fine in a percolator, but would be a bit small for a French press. Seeing as I rarely use a press, I wouldn't miss the larger grind.

      Dave in Michigan

      The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
        We need to be ranking coffee grinds like they do sandpaper. So many grinds
        per square inch, then there would be no problem with nomenclature.
        JanetTX

        On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Dave Leonard
        <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...>wrote:

        > This could be an interesting topic.
        >
        > I remember an older pro grinder in one of our local grocery stores that
        > had had the top setting labeled "coarse", then a ways below that was "drip",
        > just below that was "perc", below that was "auto drip", and finally, on the
        > bottom, was "espresso".
        >
        > When talking vintage coffee pots and grinders, we need to remember that
        > there was no "auto drip" before sometime in the mid/late 60's. Remember Joe
        > DiMaggio and Mr. Coffee? On those old pre 60's coffee pots, drip grind was
        > close to perc grind in size. Auto drip grind, using paper filters, is much
        > finer. Also, when we read old instructions with vac brewers, they recommend
        > a slightly finer grind than drip. They mean the old fashioned drip, which is
        > similar to perc grind. Lots of confusion has been caused because of this.
        >
        > I seen the pictures of the Bodum Bistro vs store grind. The size the Bodum
        > has as it's largest size should be fine in a percolator, but would be a bit
        > small for a French press. Seeing as I rarely use a press, I wouldn't miss
        > the larger grind.
        >
        > Dave in Michigan
        >
        > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

        Wild Burro and Donkey Foundation of Central Texas
        PO Box 5682, Bryan, TX 77805
        A 501 C (3) organization
        donkeymomtx@...
        burrojack@...

      • John A.
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
          Here are a couple of links relating to grind size for the technically inclined:

          http://www.coffeelabequipment.com/CoffeeParticleSize.html

          http://www.coffeelabequipment.com/COFFEE_GRIND_CHART_CL.pdf

          As for grinders, I get pretty decent results from my old German PeDe wallhanger when I feel like grinding my own.

          John A.

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Janet Stallone <donkeymomtx@...> wrote:

          > We need to be ranking coffee grinds like they do sandpaper. So many grinds
          > per square inch, then there would be no problem with nomenclature.
          > JanetTX
          >
          > On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Dave Leonard
          > <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...>wrote:
          >

          > > This could be an interesting topic.
          > >
          > > I remember an older pro grinder in one of our local grocery stores that
          > > had had the top setting labeled "coarse", then a ways below that was "drip",
          > > just below that was "perc", below that was "auto drip", and finally, on the
          > > bottom, was "espresso".
          > >
          > > When talking vintage coffee pots and grinders, we need to remember that
          > > there was no "auto drip" before sometime in the mid/late 60's. Remember Joe
          > > DiMaggio and Mr. Coffee? On those old pre 60's coffee pots, drip grind was
          > > close to perc grind in size. Auto drip grind, using paper filters, is much
          > > finer. Also, when we read old instructions with vac brewers, they recommend
          > > a slightly finer grind than drip. They mean the old fashioned drip, which is
          > > similar to perc grind. Lots of confusion has been caused because of this.
          > >
          > > I seen the pictures of the Bodum Bistro vs store grind. The size the Bodum
          > > has as it's largest size should be fine in a percolator, but would be a bit
          > > small for a French press. Seeing as I rarely use a press, I wouldn't miss
          > > the larger grind.
          > >
          > > Dave in Michigan
          > >
          > > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

        • Tex
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
            You guys/gals are almost as humorous as the espresso crowd! I thought they were the most anal retentive folks I'd met, that is 'til I joined this group.

            For me it's simple, this works or it doesn't. That doesn't work, but maybe if I try it another way, seems a bit OCD to me?

            Grind size measurement?

            LOL
            Tex
          • David
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
              In my opinion grind size is related to the time the water is in contact
              with the coffee. The longer the contact the coarser the grind thus
              express grind is fine because the contact time is short. Percolate and a
              longer contact with coarse grind. Press pot and you got to experiment
              with the time and grind. I grind as small as I can to get the best
              economy and hope the vac doesn't stall and experiment until the filter
              doesn't clog.
              mrdxi
              Tex wrote:
              You guys/gals are almost as humorous as the espresso crowd! I thought
              they were the most anal retentive folks I'd met, that is 'til I joined
              this group.

              For me it's simple, this works or it doesn't. That doesn't work, but
              maybe if I try it another way, seems a bit OCD to me?

              Grind size measurement?

              LOL
              Tex
            • dfhmdf
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
                Well, some of us are espresso guys too. We all start out as scoffers until the day we taste the difference in the cup.

                Steve

                --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Tex" <Texas_Coffee@...> wrote:

                > You guys/gals are almost as humorous as the espresso crowd! I thought they were the most anal retentive folks I'd met, that is 'til I joined this group.
                >
                > For me it's simple, this works or it doesn't. That doesn't work, but maybe if I try it another way, seems a bit OCD to me?
                >
                > Grind size measurement?
                >
                > LOL
                > Tex

              • Tex
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2011
                  Sounds like this puppy is made for you then: http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-PHAROS-Hand-Coffee-Grinder_p_3977.html

                  Rumor has it this is a very consistent grinder.

                  ;-)
                  Tex