RE: [vacpot] Re: filter experiments, frustrations, and a bit of personal musings (longish)

  • Ian Bersten
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 30 6:10 PM
      You can always try sieving the coffee through a nylon stocking. Sure
      separates the fines.

      Ian

      _____

      From: dfhmdf <dfhmdf@... <mailto:dfhmdf%40yahoo.com> >
      personal musings (longish)
      To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:14 AM

      Well, as Ian pointed out, there's no substitute for results- if you can pick
      it up cheap enough or grind a test handful in the store before purchase,
      you've done all you can do.

      As these are conical burr grinders (your Kitchenaid is, too), any lateral
      wobble in the burr will translate into an inconsistent grind. At coarser
      grinds this in inevitable, which is why counter-intuitive though it may be,
      finer grinds will often lead to less stalling and less sediment than coarser
      grinds. Look for a center burr that doesn't wobble around much at a
      reasonable grind adjustment, isn't full of rust or potpourri/Mexican
      chocolate/cinnamon stick/random spice residue, and, if you plan on using it
      for multiple brew methods, some way to keep track of your grind setting
      (although the knurled knob on the high-quality Zassenhaus doesn't allow
      this). As both the time it takes and the effort necessary increases with the
      fineness of the grind, a knee-mill (narrow box made to squeeze between your
      knees while grinding) will make your life much easier with the finer grinds
      you'll be making than chasing a regular box mill around the counter- if
      you're
      lucky enough to find one.

      Steve

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com> , Dave Leonard
      <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...> wrote:

      > Maybe also suggestions on what to look for in old hand grinders one might
      find in thrift stores or antique stores?

      > Dave in Michigan

      > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

      > --- On Tue, 3/29/11, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

      > From: Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...>

      > Subject: Re: [vacpot] Re: filter experiments, frustrations, and a bit of
      personal musings (longish)

      > To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>

      > Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 11:51 PM

      > Any suggestions on what a decent hand grinder might be brand wise, or
      perhaps the older ones to look for? Â I have a small hand operated german
      unit that can do pretty good, but I doubt its high quality.Â

      > Larry

      > --- On Tue, 3/29/11, dfhmdf <dfhmdf@...> wrote:

      > From: dfhmdf <dfhmdf@...>

      > Subject: [vacpot] Re: filter experiments, frustrations, and a bit of
      personal musings (longish)

      > To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>

      > Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 7:55 PM

      > Honestly, it's the grinder.

      <snip>

    • Tex
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 30 7:47 PM
        And do what, save the part that filters through for Turkish coffee?

        LOL!
        Tex

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Bersten" <ian@...> wrote:

        > You can always try sieving the coffee through a nylon stocking. Sure
        > separates the fines.
        >

        > Ian
        >

        > _____

      • Ian Bersten
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 30 7:56 PM
          YUP

          _____

          And do what, save the part that filters through for Turkish coffee?

          LOL!
          Tex

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ian Bersten"
          <ian@...> wrote:

          > You can always try sieving the coffee through a nylon stocking. Sure
          > separates the fines.
          >

          > Ian
          >

          > _____
          >
          > From: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>

        • Dave Leonard
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 31 5:18 AM
            I wanted to thank everyone for the thoughtful and helpful answers to my query. I am thinking about a Hario hand grinder in the near future. I am concerned with how long it takes to grind enough for an eight cup brew in my Yama. I have RA and it can be painful cranking on some days. Good quality electric grinders are out of my budget at this time. I guess for now I'll just stick with a cloth filter, as the coffee tastes much better even with the KitchenAid grinder than anything I've found pre-ground in a can.

            Also, the more I use the Yama 8-cup, the more impressed I am. The seal on this is much better designed than the one on my Cona D. Draw-down is half the length of time of the Cona using the same filter. The Cona rarely coughs up a bubble when complete, while the Yama gives an enthusiastic cascade of bubbles when done. Obviously a stronger suction.

            Dave in Michigan

            The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

          • Tex
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 31 8:51 AM
              You must be a glutton for punishment to have RA and want to crank a hand grinder? Do your hands a favor and get one of these: http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=380R

              I just bought one for my neighbor, who'd been using a whirly grinder, and she loves it.

              Tex

              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...> wrote:

              > I wanted to thank everyone for the thoughtful and helpful answers to my query. I am thinking about a Hario hand grinder in the near future. I am concerned with how long it takes to grind enough for an eight cup brew in my Yama. I have RA and it can be painful cranking on some days. Good quality electric grinders are out of my budget at this time. I guess for now I'll just stick with a cloth filter, as the coffee tastes much better even with the KitchenAid grinder than anything I've found pre-ground in a can.
              >
              > Also, the more I use the Yama 8-cup, the more impressed I am. The seal on this is much better designed than the one on my Cona D. Draw-down is half the length of time of the Cona using the same filter. The Cona rarely coughs up a bubble when complete, while the Yama gives an enthusiastic cascade of bubbles when done. Obviously a stronger suction.
              >
              > Dave in Michigan
              >
              > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

            • Ian Bersten
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 31 8:54 AM
                A solution might be to make two separate grinds and blend them

                ian

                _____

                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 31 10:43 AM
                  Hmmm, RA and a hand grinder don't sound like a good combo.

                  If you're determine to go cheap and are even a bit handy, years ago I pulled the handle off an old manual mill, replaced it with a double locknut, and drove it with a small cordless screwdriver (be sure to keep the speed down). I was grinding a couple pounds a week on a camping trip with friends and just got tired of cranking...

                  Steve

                  --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...> wrote:

                  > I wanted to thank everyone for the thoughtful and helpful answers to my query. I am thinking about a Hario hand grinder in the near future. I am concerned with how long it takes to grind enough for an eight cup brew in my Yama. I have RA and it can be painful cranking on some days. Good quality electric grinders are out of my budget at this time. I guess for now I'll just stick with a cloth filter, as the coffee tastes much better even with the KitchenAid grinder than anything I've found pre-ground in a can.
                  >
                  > Also, the more I use the Yama 8-cup, the more impressed I am. The seal on this is much better designed than the one on my Cona D. Draw-down is half the length of time of the Cona using the same filter. The Cona rarely coughs up a bubble when complete, while the Yama gives an enthusiastic cascade of bubbles when done. Obviously a stronger suction.
                  >
                  > Dave in Michigan
                  >
                  > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                • Dave Leonard
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 31 10:45 AM
                    I'm actually looking at this one.

                    http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

                    From experience, having a glass container for the grounds to fall into is a lot less messy. It is getting good reviews on Amazon with lots of comments on consistent grinds size. Now, I just need to convince my wife that I need it to replace my more expensive KitchenAid.

                    Dave in Michigan

                    The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                    I just bought one for my neighbor, who'd been using a whirly grinder, and she loves it.

                    Tex

                    --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...> wrote:

                    > I wanted to thank everyone for the thoughtful and helpful answers to my query. I am thinking about a Hario hand grinder in the near future. I am concerned with how long it takes to grind enough for an eight cup brew in my Yama. I have RA and it can be painful cranking on some days. Good quality electric grinders are out of my budget at this time. I guess for now I'll just stick with a cloth filter, as the coffee tastes much better even with the KitchenAid grinder than anything I've found pre-ground in a can.

                    > Also, the more I use the Yama 8-cup, the more impressed I am. The seal on this is much better designed than the one on my Cona D. Draw-down is half the length of time of the Cona using the same filter. The Cona rarely coughs up a bubble when complete, while the Yama gives an enthusiastic cascade of bubbles when done. Obviously a stronger suction.

                    > Dave in Michigan

                    > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                  • Dave Leonard
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 31 10:57 AM
                      I actually thought about rigging up something like a sewing machine motor or maybe an old record player motor (I have both) and making a pulley assemble to run it. Seems like a lot of work to save some money, and it would look awful. A Hario would cost me $45 plus all that work. I can get a Bodum Bistro for $80. Might be worth being patient for a bit and save up some money.

                      I can still use my hands good and occasionally crank a side-crank grinder I have (which about matches my KitchenAid in grind quality). My shoulders, and to a lesser extant, my elbows, are what causes the pain if I overdo it. I can still play my musical instruments, although I tire much faster than I used to.

                      Dave in Michigan

                      The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                      Hmmm, RA and a hand grinder don't sound like a good combo.

                      If you're determine to go cheap and are even a bit handy, years ago I pulled the handle off an old manual mill, replaced it with a double locknut, and drove it with a small cordless screwdriver (be sure to keep the speed down). I was grinding a couple pounds a week on a camping trip with friends and just got tired of cranking...

                      Steve

                      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...> wrote:

                      > I wanted to thank everyone for the thoughtful and helpful answers to my query. I am thinking about a Hario hand grinder in the near future. I am concerned with how long it takes to grind enough for an eight cup brew in my Yama. I have RA and it can be painful cranking on some days. Good quality electric grinders are out of my budget at this time. I guess for now I'll just stick with a cloth filter, as the coffee tastes much better even with the KitchenAid grinder than anything I've found pre-ground in a can.

                      > Also, the more I use the Yama 8-cup, the more impressed I am. The seal on this is much better designed than the one on my Cona D. Draw-down is half the length of time of the Cona using the same filter. The Cona rarely coughs up a bubble when complete, while the Yama gives an enthusiastic cascade of bubbles when done. Obviously a stronger suction.

                      > Dave in Michigan

                      > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                    • dfhmdf
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 31 11:49 AM
                        Before pulling the trigger, just as an experiment, you might try a test pot with your KitchenAid at a much finer grind than you've been using. Like I mentioned before, conical burr grinders like these (and this applies to the Bodum as well) tend to produce a considerably less consistent grind at coarser settings. A finer setting will paradoxically leave you with less dust, and if you're lucky might even solve your problem.

                        Steve

                        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...> wrote:

                        > I'm actually looking at this one.
                        >
                        > http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
                        >
                        > From experience, having a glass container for the grounds to fall into is a lot less messy. It is getting good reviews on Amazon with lots of comments on consistent grinds size. Now, I just need to convince my wife that I need it to replace my more expensive KitchenAid.
                        >
                        > Dave in Michigan
                        >
                        > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                      • Dave Leonard
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 31 11:57 AM
                          The KitchenAid has a flat burr grinder, not conical. They are not at all sharp, either. I even bought another set of burrs for it, but it didn't help at all. I've tried every setting possible with it (I've had it for about 4 years). None will work with the glass rod, and all settings produce sediment with the wire mesh. Cloth at any setting is very clean, as is paper. Cloth tastes much better than paper. :)

                          Dave in Michigan

                          The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                          Before pulling the trigger, just as an experiment, you might try a test pot with your KitchenAid at a much finer grind than you've been using. Like I mentioned before, conical burr grinders like these (and this applies to the Bodum as well) tend to produce a considerably less consistent grind at coarser settings. A finer setting will paradoxically leave you with less dust, and if you're lucky might even solve your problem.

                          Steve

                          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...> wrote:

                          > I'm actually looking at this one.

                          > http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

                          > From experience, having a glass container for the grounds to fall into is a lot less messy. It is getting good reviews on Amazon with lots of comments on consistent grinds size. Now, I just need to convince my wife that I need it to replace my more expensive KitchenAid.

                          > Dave in Michigan

                          > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                          > --- On Thu, 3/31/11, Tex <Texas_Coffee@...> wrote:

                          > From: Tex <Texas_Coffee@...>

                          > Subject: Re: [vacpot] filter experiments, frustrations, and a bit of personal musings (longish)

                          > To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com

                          > Date: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 11:51 AM

                          > You must be a glutton for punishment to have RA and want to crank a hand grinder? Do your hands a favor and get one of these: http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=380R

                          > I just bought one for my neighbor, who'd been using a whirly grinder, and she loves it.

                          > Tex

                          > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman@> wrote:

                          > > I wanted to thank everyone for the thoughtful and helpful answers to my query. I am thinking about a Hario hand grinder in the near future. I am concerned with how long it takes to grind enough for an eight cup brew in my Yama. I have RA and it can be painful cranking on some days. Good quality electric grinders are out of my budget at this time. I guess for now I'll just stick with a cloth filter, as the coffee tastes much better even with the KitchenAid grinder than anything I've found pre-ground in a can.

                          > > Also, the more I use the Yama 8-cup, the more impressed I am. The seal on this is much better designed than the one on my Cona D. Draw-down is half the length of time of the Cona using the same filter. The Cona rarely coughs up a bubble when complete, while the Yama gives an enthusiastic cascade of bubbles when done. Obviously a stronger suction.

                          > > Dave in Michigan

                          > > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                        • Tex
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 31 12:23 PM
                            There's a French Bistro in the D.C. area that makes coffee tableside using a rig like that. They wheel a cart out and put a pour-over in front of you, and ask if you prefer regular or decaf, strong or light? Then they whip out a hand grinder with a small motor attached and grind it right there. At least you know it's as fresh as the beans permit.

                            Tex

                            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "dfhmdf" <dfhmdf@...> wrote:

                            > Hmmm, RA and a hand grinder don't sound like a good combo.
                            >
                            > If you're determine to go cheap and are even a bit handy, years ago I pulled the handle off an old manual mill, replaced it with a double locknut, and drove it with a small cordless screwdriver (be sure to keep the speed down). I was grinding a couple pounds a week on a camping trip with friends and just got tired of cranking...
                            >
                            > Steve
                            >
                            > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I wanted to thank everyone for the thoughtful and helpful answers to my query. I am thinking about a Hario hand grinder in the near future. I am concerned with how long it takes to grind enough for an eight cup brew in my Yama. I have RA and it can be painful cranking on some days. Good quality electric grinders are out of my budget at this time. I guess for now I'll just stick with a cloth filter, as the coffee tastes much better even with the KitchenAid grinder than anything I've found pre-ground in a can.
                            > >
                            > > Also, the more I use the Yama 8-cup, the more impressed I am. The seal on this is much better designed than the one on my Cona D. Draw-down is half the length of time of the Cona using the same filter. The Cona rarely coughs up a bubble when complete, while the Yama gives an enthusiastic cascade of bubbles when done. Obviously a stronger suction.
                            > >
                            > > Dave in Michigan
                            > >
                            > > The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                          • Tex
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 31 12:27 PM
                              I **know** the Baratza is a good grinder; Bodum, can you get replacement burrs?? I just talked my neighbors wife into buying one of the refurbed units to replace her whirly blade - finally!