Re: [vacuumcoffeepotcollector] Welcome two new members!

  • erwedoff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
      No, Larry, once again, I'm only allowed to read messages. I can't get
      into the photos or make a posting. I'm not sure what's wrong. I tried
      to write to you about this last night, but perhaps the message didn't
      get through. Thanks for your concern!

      Gene

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
        Welcome Patty,

        11 years ago, my first vacpot was a Cory Rubberless and over the years
        I've used it quite often as I love the idea of nothing but glass
        touching or being near my coffee, especially as some of the older
        rubber seals stink when heated up.

        I don't use anything on the glass seals other than a bit of water that
        I smear on the upper and lower seal just before seating the upper
        bowl. Also, I ensure I don't set the heat too high as a vigorous boil
        can dislodge the upper bowl. after the steep I move the pot to one of
        my vintage Cory trivets (just a ceramic trivet). The cool trivet aids
        in the trip south. Early in my vacpot days when I had issues with the
        trip south not moving along fast enough I would wrap the lower pot
        with a cool, wet kitchen towel. I've gotten my grind tuned so I no
        longer have issues with stalls or slow drawdowns.

        Good luck, the Rubberless was my first and still one of my favorites.

        Dave
        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "long9875"

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
          Gene it appears that your post did make it though to
          the group! I would hope your able to access the photos
          also now.

          Gene has been a member for a while now and wishes to
          participate but his membership information was lacking
          in something that has kept him from using the group
          features. I hope he has it settled so he can join us
          fully.

          Larry Hollenberg
          Moderator

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • vacpot
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
            Has anyone tried using silicone lubricant like the type found in
            plumbing supplies for O-rings? I remember dessicators in the
            chemistry laboratories using silicone to seal the glass top to the
            glass bottom. I've never tried a gasketless but am leaning toward
            trying to obtain one as the rubber does give off an unpleasant odor
            when heated up during the brewing process. David (I guess I'm David
            now and vacpotaddict is Dave, curse of having too common a name).

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 3, 2006
              David,

              I wouldn't think you would want to put anything on the
              surface that might migrate to the coffee. Not sure
              what product your talking about, but most silicone
              lub's I have seen are slick and move about easily.

              I have three gasket-less models, one each size. Once
              in a while I have a problem with the largest one
              wanting to bounce a bit while lifting. I just sit a
              coffee saucer on the top to hold it down till it gets
              heavy enough on its own.

              That said, I also have one top to a DNL (small cory)
              and it wouldn't seal under most circumstances. I
              finally found a different part and it worked fine and
              still does. So my thought is that if you have one
              that won't work consistently, you may have a faulty
              piece, either lower pot surface or the top container.
              I went to the rubber-less models because so many of
              the seals seemed difficult to make work. That was
              before my rubber band trick, so I don't know if that
              might have corrected the problem. I don't believe a
              good glass seal model should need anything to make it
              work. Though they can be a bit temperamental.

              This morning I used my silex kitchen narrow neck pot.
              I notice the rubber is coming off and sticking to the
              lower pot. Turns the wash rag and the towel black when
              you rub it. So I think I will take a look at the link
              we have for new gaskets. I have never removed a small
              one, it may have to be cut off due to sticking? Also
              I believe the handle is held in place by just the
              rubber?

              I got my new kent with the red rings yesterday. Had
              the usual rocky feeling gasket, but did try to raise
              the water. Under pressure though it wanted to spit a
              little steam between the gasket and the upper pot in
              one place. After a bit it quit the brew effect as it
              was loosing pressure. So the old postal rubber band
              trick. No leak and it bubbled without failing.

              Hope everyone has there member ship issues related to
              signing in fixed, anxious to hear from some of our new
              members.

              Larry Hollenberg
              Moderator

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Fran
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                G'morning All...

                With all the talk of gasket issues, has anyone used any of the Cory
                gasket-less ones?

                Fran
              • long9875
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Hello Fran - The only way I have found to make the Cory gasketless
                  perform routinely without stall is to smear a little molasses on the
                  ground glass surfaces so as to lightly glue them together. A rag soaked
                  in hot water and applied to the neck will loosen the "glue" after the
                  coffee is made. The gasketless would be my favorite were it not for
                  what to me is a serious design error with that pot and many other Cory
                  pots namely that they leave too much water behind in the lower pot
                  after evacuation into the upper. There is not enough water in the upper
                  to perform a complete extraction and then what is extracted is plunged
                  back down into a high volume of nearly boiling water at the draw down.
                  This is a problem with many Silexes and other brands as well. The
                  manufacturers were more interested in creating a brewing environment
                  less likely to result in pot breakage should the coffee chef forget the
                  pot and leave it on the burner too long. With plenty of water left
                  behind in the lower there was less chance of boiling the pot dry and
                  breaking it, but it is to me an unacceptable trade off. The quest for
                  the ultimate cup should be tainted with a little danger anyway. EML

                  --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Fran" <coffee@...>

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                    Hi Fran,

                    In my photo section I have the three sizes for
                    comparison of the gasket less models. I have used all
                    three. For the most part they work pretty well. They
                    can once in a while not quite want to seat as the
                    water tries to lift and they will sort of bounce a bit
                    where they meet. Usually once the water comes up
                    enough to add some more weight that stops. For some
                    reason the first small one I got refused to lift the
                    water due to the way they sat together. I found a
                    different pot and the top it had worked fine with my
                    bottom. I assume that the glass either was, or became
                    slightly out of shape and left it gap slightly. The 10
                    cup model has always been tricky to get to lift the
                    water. I fine a coffee saucer will add enough weight
                    to make it go up.
                    Some recommend different things to apply to the glass
                    before putting them together. I think I read on our
                    site the use of molasses once? At best wetting them
                    with water might be of some use, I wouldn't put
                    anything else on them. Until I started this group and
                    came up with the kents I used the small cory gasket
                    less model every day due to its small capacity and
                    that the vacs work a little better full than half
                    full. I haven't used it often since. The main
                    advantage is no rubber seal to give problems. I found
                    that a lot of corys I got had very touchy gaskets so
                    the glass to glass model was an advantage to me.

                    One other thought, sometimes a slight nudge one way or
                    the other of the two pieces will cause them to work
                    when they are struggling to lift the water.

                    Larry Hollenberg
                    Moderator

                    --- Fran <coffee@...> wrote:

                    > G'morning All...
                    >
                    > With all the talk of gasket issues, has anyone used
                    > any of the Cory
                    > gasket-less ones?
                    >
                    > Fran

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Fran
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                      Hi Larry, well, I knew if anyone had used one, it would have been
                      you. ;-D Again, we have a couple of sizes but haven't used them to
                      my knowledge. Molasses huh...I'm not sure I can do that.

                      Fran

                      <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Fran,
                      >
                      > In my photo section I have the three sizes for
                      > comparison of the gasket less models. I have used all
                      > three. For the most part they work pretty well. They
                      > can once in a while not quite want to seat as the
                      > water tries to lift and they will sort of bounce a bit
                      > where they meet. Usually once the water comes up
                      > enough to add some more weight that stops. For some
                      > reason the first small one I got refused to lift the
                      > water due to the way they sat together. I found a
                      > different pot and the top it had worked fine with my
                      > bottom. I assume that the glass either was, or became
                      > slightly out of shape and left it gap slightly. The 10
                      > cup model has always been tricky to get to lift the
                      > water. I fine a coffee saucer will add enough weight
                      > to make it go up.
                      > Some recommend different things to apply to the glass
                      > before putting them together. I think I read on our
                      > site the use of molasses once? At best wetting them
                      > with water might be of some use, I wouldn't put
                      > anything else on them. Until I started this group and
                      > came up with the kents I used the small cory gasket
                      > less model every day due to its small capacity and
                      > that the vacs work a little better full than half
                      > full. I haven't used it often since. The main
                      > advantage is no rubber seal to give problems. I found
                      > that a lot of corys I got had very touchy gaskets so
                      > the glass to glass model was an advantage to me.
                      >
                      > One other thought, sometimes a slight nudge one way or
                      > the other of the two pieces will cause them to work
                      > when they are struggling to lift the water.
                      >
                      > Larry Hollenberg
                      > Moderator
                      >
                      > --- Fran <coffee@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > G'morning All...
                      > >
                      > > With all the talk of gasket issues, has anyone used
                      > > any of the Cory
                      > > gasket-less ones?
                      > >
                      > > Fran

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Fran
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                        G'morning EML

                        I guess I'm "lucky enough" to have been born the next generation
                        from vac users...I suspect I would have been blowing up vac pots by
                        the dozens due to inattention. This way I get to enjoy them without
                        having to mess with them unless I have the time and attention and
                        viewing audience to put them to good use. Even at that, I'll tend
                        toward the automatic ones with glass tops so I can "impress" without
                        having to stop talking, er I mean worry about being distracted.

                        Middlebury, huh? I bet you are counting the semesters until
                        graduation on many levels!

                        Fran

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                          EML,

                          I would think that you must have a defective unit if
                          it won't work without plastering it with molasses.
                          Except the one I mentioned that was defective some how
                          all the others work with no addition to the seals.

                          Larry

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • long9875
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                            Hey Larry - Well then more power to you. What I found was
                            that "most" of the time you can get a gasketless to work ok without
                            the molasses trick, but an occasional stall or anguishingly slow draw
                            down is irritating enough that I'd rather be safe than sorry. The
                            real problem for me was always the 4 cup gasketless and not the
                            larger sizes which throw enough water up that the weight of the water
                            helps to bear down on the seal. But even with these larger ones I
                            often experienced a too slow draw down. It would eventually draw down
                            but because there had been some minute leakage at the seal there was
                            not enough water vapor in the lower to effect a timely condensation
                            and draw down so there would be overextracted coffee. The little 4
                            cup gasketless was the most unpredictable because there is not enough
                            water weight in the upper to tighten the seal adequately.
                            It's really no trouble at all to dip the very tip of your finger
                            in some molasses and rub a little on the seals. It doesn't take much.
                            I suppose one could also make a weighted apron to slip over the upper
                            to provide more weight. As you know, I advocate sewing together a
                            couple of stretch athletic headbands to be fitted over the upper of
                            any glass topped vacpot so as to insulate it and keep the upper
                            brewing temperatures from falling too much. One could sew weights
                            onto the headband as well, I suppose, to use on the gasketless pots.

                            <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

                            > EML,
                            >
                            > I would think that you must have a defective unit if
                            > it won't work without plastering it with molasses.
                            > Except the one I mentioned that was defective some how
                            > all the others work with no addition to the seals.
                            >
                            > Larry
                            >
                            > --- long9875 <long9875@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hello Fran - The only way I have found to make the
                            > > Cory gasketless
                            > > perform routinely without stall is to smear a little
                            > > molasses on the
                            > > ground glass surfaces so as to lightly glue them
                            > > together. A rag soaked
                            > > in hot water and applied to the neck will loosen the
                            > > "glue" after the
                            > > coffee is made. The gasketless would be my favorite
                            > > were it not for
                            > > what to me is a serious design error with that pot
                            > > and many other Cory
                            > > pots namely that they leave too much water behind in
                            > > the lower pot
                            > > after evacuation into the upper. There is not enough
                            > > water in the upper
                            > > to perform a complete extraction and then what is
                            > > extracted is plunged
                            > > back down into a high volume of nearly boiling water
                            > > at the draw down.
                            > > This is a problem with many Silexes and other brands
                            > > as well. The
                            > > manufacturers were more interested in creating a
                            > > brewing environment
                            > > less likely to result in pot breakage should the
                            > > coffee chef forget the
                            > > pot and leave it on the burner too long. With plenty
                            > > of water left
                            > > behind in the lower there was less chance of boiling
                            > > the pot dry and
                            > > breaking it, but it is to me an unacceptable trade
                            > > off. The quest for
                            > > the ultimate cup should be tainted with a little
                            > > danger anyway. EML
                            > >
                            > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com,
                            > > "Fran" <coffee@>
                            > > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > G'morning All...
                            > > >
                            > > > With all the talk of gasket issues, has anyone
                            > > used any of the Cory
                            > > > gasket-less ones?
                            > > >
                            > > > Fran

                            > http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • vacpotaddict
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                              If you follow a few guidlines...

                              My very first glass vacpot was a tiny Cory Rubberless and I had to learn on it.  So, I guess cutting my teeth on one of the more difficult to use vacpots payed off as it is still my favorite.  I still use the Rubberless about the same as I use my Silex Delray.

                              You don't need to put anything other than water on the ground glass mating surface.  When making coffee with my Cory Rubberless I have the upper in it's stand sitting beside the stove and while the water is heating up I grind my coffee, measure it out and when I see the first wisps of steam and small bubbles just begining to form I dip my finger in the hot water and wet the ground glass rims of the lower and then the upper bowls.  After seating the upper I give it a twist to ensure even wetting and let it go as normal.

                              The Rubberless pots don't generate as high a vacuum as the gasketed models, as the vacuum gets very high air will actually seap past the ground seals.  Also, you can't boil Rubberless pots as vigorously as you would ones with gaskets as a rolling boil can unseat the upper before enough water has gone north.  Lastly, since the vacuum in the Rubberless is weaker I always grind a bit coarser and allow for a longer steep.

                              For ease of clean up and longevity you can't beat the gasketless varieties, this includes the German Sintrax or Jena er models.  No gasket to eventually replace and no stinky gasket to possibly taint your coffee (the gasket does touch the rim).  They are the only pots that you can have coffee "untouched by metal" or even rubber...

                              Dave

                              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Fran" <coffee@...> wrote:

                              > G'morning All...
                              >
                              > With all the talk of gasket issues, has anyone used any of the Cory
                              > gasket-less ones?
                              >
                              > Fran

                            • Dan Berarducci
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                                Hi Fran, my daily pot is a Cory DNL/DNU and it works fine... IF
                                you rub some water on BOTH the upper and lower mating surfaces
                                first. My "DC" pot (8-cup) usually works well, but occasionally will
                                lose vacuum. My "DI" (12-cup)has a really narrow mating surface and
                                often fails to hold vacuum... all of them boil up well, it's getting
                                back down that seems to be problematic.
                                Dan

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                                  EML,

                                  OK, you made me get the DNL small 6 cup gasket less
                                  cory out after dinner and make coffee. I only put in
                                  two measuring cups of water so it was about half full.
                                  Two tablespoons of folgers dark roast coffee and put
                                  it on a medium low gas flame. It raised with barely a
                                  sound. Right as it got to the bottom of the tube it
                                  made the little clanking that they make as the brew
                                  goes on. I turned the flame down a bit. After a minute
                                  and a half or so I took it off and it ran down at a
                                  normal speed and finished off with the sucking sound
                                  vacs make when drawing down strongly.

                                  I would agree that at times the corys can be slow if
                                  not impossible to return. I don't think its
                                  necessarily the style of the gasket as much as the
                                  rod. Good grinder or not. As I mentioned earlier the
                                  small model was the one that refused to work till I
                                  switched out parts. I still think some of them can be
                                  defective more than others like the rubber gaskets can
                                  be.

                                  Larry

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • long9875
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                                    Hello Larry - I have always thought that the big variable with these
                                    gasketless pots is how hot they got. The more water they have in them
                                    needing to boil the hotter they get and the greater the chance of the
                                    glass "moving" and disrupting the seal and the greater the chance
                                    also of gurgling and sloshing which as Bearducci pointed out can jolt
                                    the seal as well. As you point out, some can just have a bad seal
                                    because residual stresses in the glass "released" sometime after the
                                    pot was originally ground and therefore the pot actually changed
                                    shape enough to warp the ground joint. I had one like that which I re-
                                    ground by putting a slurry of water and pumice on the joint, then
                                    bringing
                                    the pots together and spinning them by hand against each other
                                    abrasively for awhile. That tends to give you an very tightly mated
                                    seal finally, but it takes patience. But really, it's no big deal at
                                    all to just dab some molasses on the joint and lightly twist them
                                    together. I don't quite understand why people are thinking this is
                                    such an inconvenience. EML

                                    <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > > sewing together a
                                    > > couple of stretch athletic headbands to be fitted
                                    > > over the upper of
                                    > > any glass topped vacpot so as to insulate it and
                                    > > keep the upper
                                    > > brewing temperatures from falling too much. One
                                    > > could sew weights
                                    > > onto the headband as well, I suppose, to use on the
                                    > > gasketless pots.
                                    > > EML
                                    > >

                                    > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com,
                                    > > Larry Hollenberg
                                    > > <larryhollenb@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > EML,
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I would think that you must have a defective unit
                                    > > if
                                    > > > it won't work without plastering it with molasses.
                                    > > > Except the one I mentioned that was defective some
                                    > > how
                                    > > > all the others work with no addition to the seals.

                                  • s_annod
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                                      Hiya Fran,

                                      I used to use my small Cory gasket-less pot a lot. I found rubbing a
                                      wet finger on the rims creates an adequate seal. Sometimes the water
                                      heats up too quickly, rushes up, and jiggles the top, so I just hold
                                      the top down until the water finishes it's trip up north. I like to
                                      use it to make tea too.

                                      Donna