Re: Replacing Silex narrow neck gasket

  • MarkW
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13 12:39 PM
      O.K. the new gasket arrived on Monday and it was as simple as pulling off the old gasket and handle, clean the thing up, put the handle back on and press the new gasket on. However, the new gasket isn't nearly as tight on the funnel as the original was. I wonder if it will tighten up with time? But the seal to the pot is outstanding.

      Mark

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "MarkW" <ivdunnit@...> wrote:

      > Thanks John, mine does have a handle but it appears the seal is what holds the handle on. I'll be careful with it and I'm not going to even attempt to remove the old one until the new one arrives. I have been working it a little each time I make coffee in hope of getting it to come free just a little easier. Thanks again!
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "John A." <kreuzueber.halbmond@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Mark, welcome aboard. I had to remove a good, original gasket from a Silex once after I broke the upper bowl. They have a way of welding themselves to the glass over the years. I just soaked the whole thing in a sink of hot soapy water overnight, and that did the trick. I guess you could carefully cut the old one off with a razor blade, but you'd probably want to be careful not to score the glass, which could lead to breakage down the road. Also, if yours has a handle on the upper bowl, slide it off before you soak it. It's not good to keep Bakelite submerged for long periods of time. Hope this helps.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > John A. (iluv_vac)

    • Dave Leonard
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 13 12:50 PM
        I have a Cona D narrow neck that the gasket came loose on. I glued it on with Permatex Red High Temp Gasket Sealer. Hasn't budged since. This stuff is rated for over 600 degrees F. It's toxic when wet, but rated as food processor save when dry. The only drawback is that it's red colored and shows up when looking inside the funnel.

        Dave in Michigan

        The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 13 1:37 PM
          Mark
          By not tight are you referring to the wobbly effect it has because its so soft?  I know it will seal fine, but I wasn't fond of the way it let them sort of tilt on top.
          Larry