Re: C50 not heating

  • John A.
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2010
      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "wagmath1" <wagmath@...> wrote:

      > I have 2 Sunbeam C50s. One works fine. The other will
      > warm up but not heat enough to boil. When I turn the knob
      > there is a click but the indicator light doesn't turn
      > on. Is there a simple fix anyone knows? Thanks.

      Hi, my guess is that you have a faulty switch assembly. Apparently, your secondary heating element ("Warm") is fine; it's always on and only heats to about 175 degrees. It seems from your description that power is not reaching the lamp or main element ("Brew"). The lamp would still light up on "Brew" even if the main heating element was burnt out. It seems unlikely that both would burn out together, or at all since this machine is built like a tank. You won't know for sure until you disassemble the base and check that everything is in place, connected and up to specs. The "simple fix", if there is such a thing for the C50, would be if only the lamp is burnt out and the adjusting screw for the contact points needs tweaking (unlikely). Your Coffeemaster can be repaired, but it will require some cutting and soldering to replace the switch assembly. The only thing that cannot be fixed is a burnt out main heating element, which is part of the base.

      I hope this helps. It is good that you have another C50 to fall back on until you can find a parts or replacement base.

      You will find the complete Coffeemaster C50 Service Bulletin that me and Philip uploaded in the Files Section.

      Good Luck!
      John A.
    • John A.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2010
        Just a slight clarification to my post: The main heating element of the Sunbeam C50 is part of the lower bowl, not the base. If it is defective, you must replace the lower bowl. All of the parts held within the Bakelite base are replaceable.

        John A.