Slow this month/brewing efficiency

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2010
      Things seem pretty slow this month, so I thought I'd ramble a bit.

      I've been playing with my old Sunbeam C50 converted-to-stove-top brewer. I've been trying to see if I could get a decent brew with less coffee (good coffee ain't cheap ya know). I'd always heard you shouldn't stir your grounds during the brew cycle, other than maybe one spin to break up clumps. I started experimenting with stirring vigorously. This is a no-no with some type of filters (like glass rods) as it can cause the filter to plug. With cloth filters, though, it doesn't have any effect on draw-down. Anyway, stirring vigorously for 15-20 seconds makes the brew a whole lot stronger. I started cutting back on grounds. I am now using 16 grams of coffee for the six cup Coffeemaster. The coffee is great with plenty of strength. This is far less than the official recommendations (I believe its 7.5 grams per cup). I turn the low heat off after 1.5 minutes. Oh yeah, I dump the grounds in after the water is all the way north.

      Anyone else have any experiences about improving efficiency and saving on coffee beans? Just how much beans do you guys use for a good brew?

      Dave in Michigan