Another thought on cleaning..

  • larry h
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
      I recently put up my thoughts on cleaning very dull aluminum pots. I think I should revise that idea a bit. I did another pot and this time I skipped using the dry 0000 steel wool. Instead I used it with baby oil from the start. That made a more satisfactory shine quicker and with less abrasions when done. I still used some metal polish for the finish shine. Skipped the dry polishing rouge as well since by using the oiled pad it didn't seem to need it. Goes pretty quickly and sure makes a difference is you have a lifeless aluminum pot.

      Larry
    • larry h
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
        I recently put up my thoughts on cleaning very dull aluminum pots. I think I should revise that idea a bit. I did another pot and this time I skipped using the dry 0000 steel wool. Instead I used it with baby oil from the start. That made a more satisfactory shine quicker and with less abrasions when done. I still used some metal polish for the finish shine. Skipped the dry polishing rouge as well since by using the oiled pad it didn't seem to need it. Goes pretty quickly and sure makes a difference is you have a lifeless aluminum pot.

        Larry
      • Bo Long
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
          "Flitz" is very good for cleaning metals.

          Bo Long

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "larry h" <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

          > I recently put up my thoughts on cleaning very dull aluminum pots. I think I should revise that idea a bit. I did another pot and this time I skipped using the dry 0000 steel wool. Instead I used it with baby oil from the start. That made a more satisfactory shine quicker and with less abrasions when done. I still used some metal polish for the finish shine. Skipped the dry polishing rouge as well since by using the oiled pad it didn't seem to need it. Goes pretty quickly and sure makes a difference is you have a lifeless aluminum pot.
          >
          > Larry

        • Tex
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2010
            I do a lot of polishing of aluminum, copper, brass, chrome, stainless, etc. I prefer Dico cloth wheels and buffing compounds: http://www.dicoproducts.com/guide.html

            Use the right progression of compounds and you can make anything shine like a new penny.

            Tex

            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "larry h" <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

            > I recently put up my thoughts on cleaning very dull aluminum pots. I think I should revise that idea a bit. I did another pot and this time I skipped using the dry 0000 steel wool. Instead I used it with baby oil from the start. That made a more satisfactory shine quicker and with less abrasions when done. I still used some metal polish for the finish shine. Skipped the dry polishing rouge as well since by using the oiled pad it didn't seem to need it. Goes pretty quickly and sure makes a difference is you have a lifeless aluminum pot.
            >
            > Larry

          • Bo Long
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2010
              Nothing beats a motorized buffing wheel, but if your only option is hand then I will reiterate "Flitz." It finely abrades and puts a protective coating down also. Incidentally in my photos of vacpots I did not polish the metal. It is showing "as is" when found:

              Bo Long

              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Tex" <Texas_Coffee@...> wrote:

              > I do a lot of polishing of aluminum, copper, brass, chrome, stainless, etc. I prefer Dico cloth wheels and buffing compounds: http://www.dicoproducts.com/guide.html
              >
              > Use the right progression of compounds and you can make anything shine like a new penny.
              >
              > Tex
              >
              > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "larry h" <larryhollenb@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I recently put up my thoughts on cleaning very dull aluminum pots. I think I should revise that idea a bit. I did another pot and this time I skipped using the dry 0000 steel wool. Instead I used it with baby oil from the start. That made a more satisfactory shine quicker and with less abrasions when done. I still used some metal polish for the finish shine. Skipped the dry polishing rouge as well since by using the oiled pad it didn't seem to need it. Goes pretty quickly and sure makes a difference is you have a lifeless aluminum pot.
              > >
              > > Larry

            • Tex
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 6, 2010
                All through ROTC & 6 years in the Army, it was Brasso on the buckle, Brasso on the hat emblem, Brasso on the lapel emblems, Brasso this & Brasso that... After I became a civilian again, I refused to hand polish ANYTHING!

                A drill or Dremel with a cloth wheel is the only way a sane person polishes stuff - leave the hand jobs to the solders who have the time and appreciation for tedium.

                My 2 cents,
                Tex