[vacpot] Re: New Silex toy.

  • Bo Long
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 22, 2010
      I get the feeling that towards the end of the Silex vacpot era there was a tendency to design with a shorter uptake stem so that more water was left in the lower and there was less chance of boiling it dry and cracking it. In the early morning rush people do sometimes forget they have put a brewer on the stove or get distracted by something and leave it on without attending to it.

      Bo Long

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

      > Great looking coffee maker!  Its a rather rare late style in great shape.  I don't think the amount of water in the bottom is a issue. Silex made the Bon Vivant drip in the same era which filled the lower part with as much or more water than the top and then it is blended with the upper coffee which is exposed to a smaller than normal amount of water in ratio of the grounds used for the total pot. If that makes any sense?  But when the strong coffee is combined in the lower bowl it all blends and comes out well.  All vacuum pots except a few electrics work along those lines.
      > Larry

    • Tex
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 22, 2010
        One of the things I like most about my Yama 3 & 5 cup tabletop models is the small amount of water that gets left in the bottom pot, as compared to the flat bottom stovetop models.

        I don't know if it matters, but to my mind infusing all the water with the coffee is better than infusing 70% of the water and mixing it with clear water. ??