Lots of cleaning contradictions on the net!

  • larry h
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2010
      Been though this endlessly here but I am getting a better handle on what to use and not to use inside my coffee pots.. The Mirro Perk finally became clean and odor free, it seemed that the cream of tarter did the trick for me on that one. But my cleaning methods have become suspect so I checked on line. Wow what a variation of advice is out there. Many say never use any soap inside your coffee maker. That was one reason I went to the net today, my coffee tasted a bit soapy I thought this morning. I have had that happen before and wanted to see how people suggested cleaning without soap.. But after a few "never" use soap sites that used vinegar, or salt and ice cubes, with warnings never to use baking soda or chlorine, I ran into sites that used all the above and people swearing it was the best thing to do, and more curious many said they "rinse the pot by washing with hot soapy water".. I must admit that our family has always washed the coffee pots of any type along with the dishes with dish detergent, so never using it was a new idea to me. But again the contradictions were pretty amazing. The most common thread was to use vinegar fairly often to clean off the interiors followed by several hot clean water run trough's and then rinses.
      Now that I have fairly well removed the nasty flavors from the pots, with help from you all and the net, I am wondering what routine do most of us use to keep it that way?

      Larry
    • Chris Hart
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2010
        Water. Daily rinse and reuse. Nicro. I don't use soap because I'm just too lazy/tired in the morning. I've been doing it that way for over a year. Chris