More problems with pot taste.

  • larry h
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9, 2010
      I seem destined to find coffee makers that have a off taste issue. In my usual search for trying yet another brand coffee maker, I purchased a Mirro Matic from probably the mid 50s'. Its the anodized colors on aluminum looking pot in a gold tone.

      The pot perks at a pretty nice rate, doesn't over cook and if you use either the six or 9 cup fill lines the brew times are about right for perked coffee. But, that nasty pot cleaner taste is present. I would guess the seller used one of those packages of "coffee pot cleaner' you see in stores. The times I have tired those in some larger percolators that get alot of use, the results have been similar. A off sort of bitter taste that lingers for a long time. Since the pot interior is so clean looking, yet the stem is full of dark coffee stains, I am pretty sure that was the route it went before I got it. We have discussed the odd flavor of the Siphonators I have and usually that taste is something different. This is the results of a cleaning product from what I can tell. I tired to run some mild cream of tarter though it, I washed the interior with hot soapy water and ran hot water cycles though it several more times followed by a cold water rinse. Still the taste persist.

      My mom says vinegar or bleach used mildly would get rid of the lingering taste? Any one have a thought here as well? I think eventually the taste would level out, but I wish I could hurry the process, I am making a lot of coffee that is being mostly thrown out.

      Larry
    • Chris Hart
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2010
        Larry, have you tried dishwasher detergent? After soaking overnight, clean it with dishwashing detergent and then perhaps a baking soda soak. I remember soaking a totally filthy c-30 overnight and finding it absolutely sparkling the next day. I think the dishwasher detergent gets just about all junk out of these coffeemakers. They always say to run vinegar and water through the new drip coffeemakers to clean them. Maybe soaking the pot in that mixture after the detergent soak might strip everything possible that could make your pot taste rank. My Nicro is about due. Chris

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2010
          Chris,
          Thanks for the input.  I did a light vinegar run though with it earlier to no effect to speak of. I have also found the Dishwasher detergent to do a good job at cleaning but the last time I used it I ended up tasting the soap for quite a while for some reason..  I have spent the day running things though it and I think I have it fairly odor free finally.  The thing besides plain water that I think made the most difference was Cream of Tarter. I recalled reading that for aluminum pots you should use that instead of Baking Soda as it eats away at the aluminum and turns it brown. But not as  brown as that clorex did, I never saw anything react that way before.
          Larry

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2010
            Sorry, that product is called "Bar keepers Friend" Not "Bartenders Friend" Rod
[...]

          • stebchem
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 10, 2010
              Hi Larry,

              Sorry you're having so many problems with lingering, unpleasant tastes in coffee makers.

              A couple of thoughts:

              The metal parts in your Edison Siphonator may be made of some odd
              alloy and that's what causes the taste, especially after so many years.

              We have found that cleaning the stem of a percolator is best accomplished by using a small, narrow brush meant for percolators or twisting/braiding together pipe cleaners. This along with good hot water and dishwashing detergent is what we've found works best. Any of the cleaners considered so far might clean out the pot's interior, but getting the gunk out of the stem required additional effort and a good bit of elbow grease.

              Hope the problem is solved soon.

              Ron & Edgar
            • Dave Leonard
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 10, 2010
                In addition to the stem cleaning methods mentioned, a .22 through.38 caliber gun cleaning kit works on some percolators. They have soft wire brushes in some as well as slots for small pieces of cloth and sometimes nylon brushes.

                Dave in Michigan

                The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 10, 2010
                  Ron and Edgar,
                  I have also cleaned those stems and your right they can be quite awful with dark build up inside. I have a brush for cleaning stems and it is used after soaking with what ever cleaner I am trying to use till it comes out white and not all darkened.   It isn't that they are dirty, its something about the metal or cleaning process that are doing this.  The edison may be suspect for a couple reasons I have considered lately.  They call it a siphonator because the water fills a basket with grounds and then when it reaches a certain point it dumps the water into the tank under it.  I got to wondering if because it doesn't take out all the coffee but leaves some under the basket if that is causing a bad effect due to lingering grounds that filter though the holes. Sort of like how a boiled or press coffee might get nasty after a bit from the grounds being left in the water when its done.  Thats just a thought, no proof too it and wouldn't explain why if
                  the thing is finally odor free from cleanings that it makes a passable cup of coffee?
                  Larry