Re: [vacpot] Cleaning your coffee maker.

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
      Hi Dave,
      Yes I have been though the Baking Soda clean a number of times and it probably does help especially in some other brands of coffee makers I have.  Something seems inherent in this Edison Design that makes the issue worse than I have ever run into.  Normally once you get a pot clean and then continue to use it normal care keeps things fine.  But now both of the Siphonators I am playing with after the first couple uses have done the same thing.  Its hard to describe but something about the taste as well as smell of the coffee is just plain nasty.  Its a first to me.. As you say, the vinegar will help a great deal, I just was hoping not to have to use it very often due to the issues with lingering odor in my dish cloths.
      Larry

      From: larry h <larryhollenb@...>

      Subject: [vacpot] Cleaning your coffee maker.

      To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 9:45 AM

      Since I am having evident issues with oils that are clinging to my metal pot I am curious if anyone has found something that can be used daily or every other day to keep the pot clean and odorless? I mentioned that vinegar seemed to help a great deal, but it leaves the dish rag and coffee pot in need of a good deodorizing them selves. Regular dish detergent doesn't seem to be getting rid of the oil completely. Any thoughts on what works well and doesn't leave an after taste or odor?

    • Dave Leonard
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
        Larry,

        I have an old Sunbeam Coffeemaster C50 that the brew cycle is to long. It tastes nasty, like it's burnt. Sounds like your Siphonator may have similar issues.

        Dave in Michigan

        The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

        From: Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman@...>

        To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com

        From: larry h <larryhollenb@...>

        To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 9:45 AM

        Since I am having evident issues with oils that are clinging to my metal pot I am curious if anyone has found something that can be used daily or every other day to keep the pot clean and odorless? I mentioned that vinegar seemed to help a great deal, but it leaves the dish rag and coffee pot in need of a good deodorizing them selves. Regular dish detergent doesn't seem to be getting rid of the oil completely. Any thoughts on what works well and doesn't leave an after taste or odor?

      • John A.
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "larry h" <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

          > Any thoughts on what works well and doesn't leave an after taste or odor?
          >
          > Larry

          Hi, Larry.

          By far, the best coffee residue cleaning product I have found is Urnex Cafiza. Though it is marketed for larger commercial coffeemakers, I use it regularly in my Sunbeam Coffeemasters and it is great stuff! Usually, 1/2 tsp is all it takes for normal monthly cleaning. Mixed in higher concentration, it will really get the gunk if you let it soak awhile and use a soft brush. I highly recommend it, and the 20 oz. size will last forever, too.

          Amazon Link:
          http://www.amazon.com/Urnex-02025-Cafiza-20oz-powder/dp/B001418KNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1280893528&sr=8-1

          Regards,
          John A. (iluv_vac)
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2010
            Thanks to John and those who have given me some new ideas on cleaning, I appreciate it.
            Larry