Re: [vacpot] Any thoughts on why a Siphonator might cause off flavored coffee?

  • Nancy Curtis
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2010
      Sounds odd. I don't even know what a Edison Siphonator coffee brewer is so I am at a total loss to be able to help you, Larry.

      Nancy

      Hello all,

      Been running into a few lower pots which I have moved on to ebay to get them to those who may need them..

      I also picked up another Edison Siphonator coffee brewer. I have had continuous issues with the coffee smelling odd and tasting about the same after a pot or two is brewed in it. I have attempted to clean it and deodorize it and use new beans, but the problem persist. Its sort of a off flavor and smell that do not make the coffee taste or smell good. I thought it was perhaps the fact that I had to create my own coffee grounds basket since the first one I had was missing it. Here too the first couple pots I made were pretty good, then it started to get that disagreeable effects. I got an original basket and again the first try I though, gee it was my home made basket. However after a couple uses the same off taste and smell returned. I am at a total loss as to why its doing this? It does run extra hot towards the last in my opinion and has a very straight forward thermostatic adjustment easily removed to adjust. I have tinkered with various amounts of turns on what ever the adjustment screw does but to no real difference. I know this is a pretty loose description of a problem but I can't pin down what is causing it either. I wondered if anyone knew of something that might be in play that would cause this? I just can't believe that it was like this originally but no way to know that since so few people seem to have working ones.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2010
        Some off board thoughts here from a member.  A guess that perhaps due to the heat it puts out that the oils or beans were being over cooked.  That may be an issue and maybe why the pot surface holds the odor of the beans, even if smelling oddly, sticks to the walls. I decided to give another try to vinegar run though it and then scrubbed it with the solution as  well.  After that I rinsed it good with hot and cold water.  I made a different coffee I ground on a rather coarse grind which I think it suggest. The results were much better and if any taint was too it it was pretty faint.    I cleaned it this time using some vinegar and hot water so that in the morning hopefully it will produce a half way decent cup of coffee.
        I think the basic design, even if by Edison may be flawed as what little of the instructions I could make out once on the next said something about unplugging it when steam pours out the two real lid holes.  That denotes that it gets really hot in brewing which it always did. The thermostat is very simple and straight forward, I have cleaned its contacts and tried various adjustments open and closing the clearance on the tip that makes the cycle of electric on an off.  It doesn't seem to run any cooler, in fact I am not too sure what the adjustment actually does?  It may effect how fast it brews but I am not totally sure of that at this point..
        Do we have no owners or users of these Siphonators out there?  Sure would be interesting to hear from others experiences with these rather unique pots.
        Larry

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2010
          Nancy, I have a photo of it in my Non vacuum coffee pot album and also there is an page from a Better Homes and Gardens from the late 20's when it was introduced, I will have to see where I have it in the photos, I know its there.
          Larry

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2010
            Thanks, Larry. It sure does sound like an interesting pot!
            Nancy