Removing odor from stainless pots.

  • larry h
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 13 1:30 PM
      Hello All,

      This is a general question not a vacpot question, but I know many of us dabble in all sorts of coffee makers. I picked up a Edison Siphonator recently. It still works to my amazement, and when it balked after about a week of working I discovered how wonderfully simple edison constructed the thermostat. None of the tedious adjustments you see in later ones. Cleaned a dirty contact and it was up an working perfectly.

      However, after using it for a few brews the container the coffee goes in, which is about 4 inches across and 9 or so inches deep develops a sort of stale coffee odor which so far has resisted permeant removal. I tired running baking soda though it, soaking it with hot water and cream of tarter, scrubbing like crazy and still after a few pots when you taste the coffee it becomes a bit stale or off tasting and the same effect is found in sniffing the coffee part of the pot. It seems to be made of all stainless from what I can tell. I wash it with soap and water after each use and leave the top off so it can air out good, but still it stays. I made a pot of coffee in my aluminum percolator to see if it produced the same kind of smell but it doesn't or its very faint at best.

      Any ideas why its doing this and how to remove it?

      Larry
    • Rodney
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 13 1:43 PM
        What I use to clean stainless steel is a product called Bar keepers freind. http://www.amazon.com/Bar-Keepers-Friend%C2%AE-Cleanser-Polish/dp/B000V72992/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1271191325&sr=8-1
        Best I found so far for stainless. Hope it helps. And it wont harm the steel. Rod

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 13 2:35 PM
          Rodney,
          Yes I have heard of that product. Would you think its for use inside the pot to clean? Just wondering, not sure what the actual description is for use of it, It sort of always stuck me as sounding like a Comet type product?
          thanks for replyingLarry

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 13 8:10 PM
            I have found that, if I put a tablespoon of dishwashing powder in the bottom of the pot and fill it with hot water to let sit overnight, all of the coffee residue is gone. The most ugly garage sale pot came sparkling clean using that method. Chris

          • Rodney
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 13 8:36 PM
              I have costly Cuisonart Multiclad and Calphalon Tri-ply cookware and it cleans stuff that Dish soap wont. I use it every time to clean it. It saves soaking time in the sink to get where the dish soap will remove it. Also it is not an abrasive cleaner, Cuisonart and Calphalon recomend it for there cookware and they recomend not using comet or other abrasive cleaners or it will scratch them up. Also dont use the non-scratch scratch pads, they will still scratch things. There not non-scratch. Just a sponge or cleaning dishcloth(or similar)
              To use it you put some on a very wet towel or sponge and then scrub the item to be cleaned. It recomends not putting it straight on the surface to be cleaned. It is also a polishing agent, so it will shine it up. I used it on an 1950's Nicro Vacuum pot and it cleaned up well. It did not remove the scratches or cause any, but it has a shine now like new . The bottom pot was scratch free and looked like it came out of a box but the top bowel had a few light scatches from sitting it down on it side and dull spots from handling with the fingers. The barkeeps shined it like new.
              My wife says she has seen the Barkeepers in the grocery stores. Cheaper then Amazon. It may be a mild acidic agent with a polishing compound, but I am not sure. It can be used for copper and other surfaces that cant handle abrasive cleaners.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 13 8:40 PM
                Thanks Rodney I will give it a try.
                Larry

                From: Rodney <roddey99@sbcglobal. net>

                To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                Date: Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 3:43 PM

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 13 8:40 PM
                  I see you got another reply about soaking, that may work for you. If not the barkeepers hopefully will. Worked on anything I have put it on without scratching. Its cheap to at the store. Rodney

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 13 8:42 PM
                    Chris,
                    Thanks I had forgotten about the dish washing powders.  I have some that I used to clean a pot once and like you mentioned it did a great job removing the old films.  I just don't know what it is about the construction of this that it wants to taint the metal when you brew coffee in it?  One thing I know is its letting quite a bit of sediment into the coffee and that may be causing that sort of stale odor it gets but why it hangs on the metal I don't still know.
                    Larry