Stalling Update.

  • larry h
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
      Good Morning,
      Happy New Year all!

      This morning I decided to return to using the large Silex Commercial type vacuum coffee pot. Glass bottom, stainless large top. And as before, the same coffee grounds went back down quickly as they have done most of the time. I used a cory glass rod in the Silex. I looked it over, it is a slightly different design from the one I used with the Cory. This one has less of the little flat grip type raised places on the sides, and just eyeing it it seemed to have a slightly more rounder lower ground filter part as it tappers, but that might be my eyes and the way the glass is ground. Something must happen with the way the cory pot fits the rod that causes it to have less ability to return the water. This morning it drew back down in half a minute or so. With the cory its been sitting for up to 15 minutes and still was stuck!

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
        Hi Larry,
        I don't know how many different variations of the cory filter rod there are
        but there are more than one.
        If you can pick up one of those Silex Lox-In filters I think you will be
        pleasantly surprised. The hexagon shape (6
        sides) above the round siphon seems to work much better than the round shape
        of the cory. I don't think I'll ever use another cory rod.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
          Thanks Roland
          I will have to try another silex filter and maybe I will try switching this cory rod around and see if it works in the automatic pot better than the other one?  Somehow I think I have used both but not sure, some times it works and some times not, so maybe it is the filter, or the way they meet at the point where it has to go down the tube.  I am sure that a different kind of filter would work since the pot it self works well when it allows the water to go back down.
          Larry

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
            I guess there is no universal application. On my Yamas, all these work without stalls:

            3 varieties of Cory rod
            2 varieties of Corning rod
            1 Silex Lox-In

            What doesn't work?
            Cona rod - This rod has a very different bottom surface that allows silt through (no stalls).

            I have a ton of other filters (compulsion hobby? <grins>). I should lay them all out and photograph them.

            Dave Borton
          • John L. Bengfort
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
              On my Yama, I have had stalling one two (old) cory rods--both were very smooth on the glass contact surface'  There is one cory rod I have which has 4 little bumps 90 degrees apart--it never stalls.  I would give you the number, but I (garbage disposal) broke off that part--maybe Dave, with his experience/collection could provide that or comment. John Bengfort

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                John,

                I have a couple of old style and one new style cory glass rods, but none have the four bumps. haven't seen those yet. I have found that the rods I have vary in how well they work in different pots.

                I still prefer Sunbeam's filter, though, as they are more consistent than any I've used yet.

                Dave

                The Hurdy-Gurdy Man,

                From: davidborton <dave@sidewalkmystic .com>

                To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                  I have one or two corning rods but not sure if they are the same one. Need
                  to find them and check. Once I realized that I had amassed 4 Lox-In's (3
                  standard size and 1 with a very long extendor, for the commercial pots), then
                  I never looked back. Likewise, I sometimes use the Coffeemaster filter just
                  for variety...additionally, I use my inverted spring (Silex) filters with a
                  paper filter on them sometimes. I find that the paper filter works better
                  than the cloth that is designed to go over it...and it's easier to just get
                  rid of the paper filter after dumping the grounds down the drain. With the
                  cloth one, you have to be careful not to let it fall into the sink and get it
                  grimy with sludge and nanocritters.

                  From: davidborton <[LINK: mailto:dave%40sidewalkmystic.com]
                  dave@...>
                  To: [LINK: mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com]
                  vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Friday, January 1, 2010, 7:35 AM

                  I guess there is no universal application. On my Yamas, all these work
                  without stalls:

                  3 varieties of Cory rod

                  2 varieties of Corning rod

                  1 Silex Lox-In

                  What doesn't work?

                  Cona rod - This rod has a very different bottom surface that allows silt
                  through (no stalls).

                  I have a ton of other filters (compulsion hobby? ). I should lay them
                  all out and photograph them.

                  Dave Borton

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                    John what your describing is the one I used this morning I believe and it worked, at least in the silex. I am going to give it a try in the cory and see if it acts any different.
                    Larry

                    From: davidborton <dave@sidewalkmystic .com>

                    To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                      John I am mistaken should have looked it has two bumps only on one side.  Marked Cory though.
                      Larry

                      From: davidborton <dave@sidewalkmystic .com>

                      To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 16, 2010
                        Dave,

                        I for one would be immensely grateful if you would post photos of your filters. It is one of the best ways for those like myself to learn more about filters. Steven's filter album has been an immense help to me.

                        Philip