Sunbeam model variations

  • Gary Henderson
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 7, 2009
      The differences between these units parallel the differences between vac pots in general in that much revolves around the filter and the gasket. The Sunbeams also have the added dimension of variation in the automated heating arrangement.

      Early models, the 20 and the 30a I believe, used a cloth filter. The later models have variations of a very fine mesh SS disc. I have only used this metal filter which is very effective. People today use cotton muslin cutouts, contemporary Yama filters, or other cloths for filtration on the early ones.

      The 20 requires you to screw down the filter assembly and unscrew it after brewing. The tradeoff for this relative inconvenience is that the gasket is more durable and reliable than the later C30. The C30 has a simple, quick spring-loaded hook to secure the filter, but the gasket is designed to hold onto the pot by itsself, without the aid of the screwed down filter rod. This gasket can harden, rendering the pot unusable - not so with the 20. The 20 also requires you to use a pot holder to remover the top pot, since there is no handle.

      The 30 and I believe the 20 also have adjustable thermostat set points, a big advantage.

      The model 40, as I learned here, is a model 30 with an aluminum top vessel, sold for reasons of economy.

      I am the least familiar with the 50. I believe it lacks the earlier models adjustability. The gasket has similar longevity to the 20.

      A more rare varient is the "beehive", which is a model 30 with a glass top vessel.

      Perhaps those with more knowledge than me of the 20 and 50 could correct me or add better info than I can.

    • Jason
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 13, 2009
        Thanks for that incredibility informative post. It kinda sounds like the model 20 is the unit to have.

        Jason

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Gary Henderson <earlgrey_44@...> wrote:

        > The differences between these units parallel the differences between vac pots in general in that much revolves around the filter and the gasket. The Sunbeams also have the added dimension of variation in the automated heating arrangement.
        >
        > Early models, the 20 and the 30a I believe, used a cloth filter. The later models have variations of a very fine mesh SS disc. I have only used this metal filter which is very effective. People today use cotton muslin cutouts, contemporary Yama filters, or other cloths for filtration on the early ones.
        >
        > The 20 requires you to screw down the filter assembly and unscrew it after brewing. The tradeoff for this relative inconvenience is that the gasket is more durable and reliable than the later C30. The C30 has a simple, quick spring-loaded hook to secure the filter, but the gasket is designed to hold onto the pot by itsself, without the aid of the screwed down filter rod. This gasket can harden, rendering the pot unusable - not so with the 20. The 20 also requires you to use a pot holder to remover the top pot, since there is no handle.
        >
        > The 30 and I believe the 20 also have adjustable thermostat set points, a big advantage.
        >
        > The model 40, as I learned here, is a model 30 with an aluminum top vessel, sold for reasons of economy.
        >
        > I am the least familiar with the 50. I believe it lacks the earlier models adjustability. The gasket has similar longevity to the 20.
        >
        > A more rare varient is the "beehive", which is a model 30 with a glass top vessel.
        >
        > Perhaps those with more knowledge than me of the 20 and 50 could correct me or add better info than I can.

      • pb_petty
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 14, 2009
          I love my C20. IMHO I think Sunbeam had it right to begin with with the design of the C20 series and just screwed the Coffeemaster up more with each new version. Sometimes less is more.

          Philip

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 14, 2009
            Philip,
            So what is the features that make the C20 the best choice?  I know that the seal is more likely to still work, but so is the C 50.  Although in hind site the C 20 I had worked and the C 50's I have tired have not.  I did find that the filter to the C50 is not interchangeable with the C30 which someone ask me on ebay the other day.  I thought it might be , but the prongs under the filter that grip the recess in the upper pot are longer and don't allow the filter to sit down right in another model.
            Larry

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 14, 2009
              The C50 filters cannot be used on the C30? Didn't know that.

              The C30 works great when it has a good gasket. Most of the ones I've seen do. If you protect then with appropriate lubricant they will probably last a long time yet.

              The C20 benefits from a certain "purity of design"in that it usually has has the original Iannelli feet and the handless reaction vessel. I wouldn't disagree that it's the "best" one, but It does lock you into the cloth filter, so there are taste preference and hassle factor issues there. Ultimately a matter of personal preference I suppose.

              So what is the features that make the C20 the best choice? I know that the seal is more likely to still work, but so is the C 50. Although in hind site the C 20 I had worked and the C 50's I have tired have not. I did find that the filter to the C50 is not interchangeable with the C30 which someone ask me on ebay the other day. I thought it might be , but the prongs under the filter that grip the recess in the upper pot are longer and don't allow the filter to sit down right in another model.
              Larry

              I love my C20. IMHO I think Sunbeam had it right to begin with with the design of the C20 series and just screwed the Coffeemaster up more with each new version. Sometimes less is more.

              Philip

              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com, "Jason" <headchangestudio@ ...> wrote:

              > Thanks for that incredibility informative post. It kinda sounds like the model 20 is the unit to have.

              > Jason

              > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com, Gary Henderson <earlgrey_44@ > wrote:

              > > The differences between these units parallel the differences between vac pots in general in that much revolves around the filter and the gasket. The Sunbeams also have the added dimension of variation in the automated heating arrangement.

              > > Early models, the 20 and the 30a I believe, used a cloth filter. The later models have variations of a very fine mesh SS disc. I have only used this metal filter which is very effective. People today use cotton muslin cutouts, contemporary Yama filters, or other cloths for filtration on the early ones.

              > > The 20 requires you to screw down the filter assembly and unscrew it after brewing. The tradeoff for this relative inconvenience is that the gasket is more durable and reliable than the later C30. The C30 has a simple, quick spring-loaded hook to secure the filter, but the gasket is designed to hold onto the pot by itsself, without the aid of the screwed down filter rod. This gasket can harden, rendering the pot unusable - not so with the 20. The 20 also requires you to use a pot holder to remover the top pot, since there is no handle.

              > > The 30 and I believe the 20 also have adjustable thermostat set points, a big advantage.

              > > The model 40, as I learned here, is a model 30 with an aluminum top vessel, sold for reasons of economy.

              > > I am the least familiar with the 50. I believe it lacks the earlier models adjustability. The gasket has similar longevity to the 20.

              > > A more rare varient is the "beehive", which is a model 30 with a glass top vessel.

              > > Perhaps those with more knowledge than me of the 20 and 50 could correct me or add better info than I can.

            • John L. Bengfort
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 21, 2009
                from an e-bay ad:

                The C50 was in some ways the epitome of
                vacuum coffee brewers, in other ways the last of its breed.  Sunbeam
                had long dominated the "automatic coffeemaker" market, starting in the
                mid-1930's with its "fully-automatic" C20, and later the hugely
                successful C30, which was sold through the late 1950's.  Vacuum coffee
                makers offered a superior brew to stove-bound coffeemakers, they were
                more reliable than the early percolators, and they had "keep warm"
                features (either automatic or on the stovetop) that percolators hadn't
                yet mastered.  Better still, vacuum coffeemakers didn't boil the coffee
                repeatedly through the grounds:  not unlike drip brewers, the coffee
                only mixed with the grounds once.
                In 1961, Sunbeam would launch the
                greatest - and last - of its automatic vaccuum coffee brewers - the
                C50.  Of course, vacuum pots weren't without their challenges:  they
                had two pieces, they had to be dissembled to serve the coffee, and
                worse, they required a special, more finely ground coffee.  The C50
                would eliminate a number of the earlier models' shortcomings - the
                cloth filter was replaced with a stainless and mesh permanent one, the
                brew vs. warm cycles had been perfected, and the coffeemaker was on the
                whole as fast, if not faster, than competing percolators - as well as
                showcase Sunbeam design and quality.
                The C50 was made of copper (a lot of
                folks think they're stainless, which they are not), which was
                meticulously chrome-plated, inside and out.  The top bowl was easily
                removable, and the lid fit both chambers.  The C50 could make coffee
                with regular gounds (though not recommended) and "hold" coffee for
                hours without burning it.  It was also expensive - roubhly $100 in 1961
                dollars, a lot for a coffeemaker.  Sadly, convenience and cost
                conspired to kill the vacuum coffeemaker - companies like Farberware
                had perfected the percolator (Sunbeam also had excellent percolators by
                this time, so they weren't exactly worried), and the inconvenience of
                vacuum brewing was incompatible with the fast-paced lifestyles of the
                1960's and 1970's.  When Sunbeam discontinued the C50, the Mr. Coffee
                hadn't yet even surfaced (1972) but Americans had fallen out of love
                with vacuum coffee.   Vacuum coffeemakers would vanish until Bodum
                reintroduced them in the 21st century.
                This is an excellent example of a C50 -
                in fact, the nicest I've seen (equally nice as the ones we have at our
                houses - yes, we own two).  There are only a couple of minor scratches
                on the outer chrome, all the plastic is clean and shiny, and the upper
                and lower bowls are clean and shiny (apologies for the photos, the
                yellow in the lower bowl is flash-effect, the bowl itself is not
                stained).  The coffeemaker works flawlessly, and the upper seal is so
                tight, in fact, that the coffeemaker nearly seals with the clamps in
                the "open" position.   And all parts are included - on many C50s, the
                lid - whichly only sits loosely on top of the upper bowl - was lost
                over the years.   On the whole, a wonderful C50, especially for a
                50-year-old appliance.
                I have included a copy of the original
                Owner's Manual.  An age-appropriate power cord is also included; note,
                this is not a "Sunbeam" branded cord, but when I checked our C50's,
                neither had a Sunbeam-branded cord, so perhaps the manufacturer had
                already gone to generic power cords.
                I will carefully package this
                coffeemaker; I have included a standard shipping cost, but as always
                pick-up is available to any buyer in the greater Boston area.   A great
                gift for any coffeemaker collector - or an eclectic way to make coffee
                and amaze your guests.

                Thanks for that incredibility informative post. It kinda sounds like the model 20 is the unit to have.

                Jason

                --- In vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com, Gary Henderson <earlgrey_44@ ...> wrote:

                > The differences between these units parallel the differences between vac pots in general in that much revolves around the filter and the gasket. The Sunbeams also have the added dimension of variation in the automated heating arrangement.

                > Early models, the 20 and the 30a I believe, used a cloth filter. The later models have variations of a very fine mesh SS disc. I have only used this metal filter which is very effective. People today use cotton muslin cutouts, contemporary Yama filters, or other cloths for filtration on the early ones.

                > The 20 requires you to screw down the filter assembly and unscrew it after brewing. The tradeoff for this relative inconvenience is that the gasket is more durable and reliable than the later C30. The C30 has a simple, quick spring-loaded hook to secure the filter, but the gasket is designed to hold onto the pot by itsself, without the aid of the screwed down filter rod. This gasket can harden, rendering the pot unusable - not so with the 20. The 20 also requires you to use a pot holder to remover the top pot, since there is no handle.

                > The 30 and I believe the 20 also have adjustable thermostat set points, a big advantage.

                > The model 40, as I learned here, is a model 30 with an aluminum top vessel, sold for reasons of economy.

                > I am the least familiar with the 50. I believe it lacks the earlier models adjustability. The gasket has similar longevity to the 20.

                > A more rare varient is the "beehive", which is a model 30 with a glass top vessel.

                > Perhaps those with more knowledge than me of the 20 and 50 could correct me or add better info than I can.

              • lee_d_33712
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 30, 2011
                  --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Gary Henderson <earlgrey_44@...> wrote:

                  > The C50 filters cannot be used on the C30? Didn't know that.
                  >
                  > The C30 works great when it has a good gasket. Most of the ones I've seen do. If you protect then with appropriate lubricant they will probably last a long time yet.
                  >
                  > The C20 benefits from a certain "purity of design"in that it usually has has the original Iannelli feet and the handless reaction vessel. I wouldn't disagree that it's the "best" one, but It does lock you into the cloth filter, so there are taste preference and hassle factor issues there. Ultimately a matter of personal preference I suppose.

                  The C-20 gasket will be on on DAYSEAL.com In 2 wks
                • Janet Stallone
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 30, 2011
                    I recently inherited a new C30C and love it! The gasket seems perfect and
                    pliable, but occasionally the unit doesn't suck down all the coffee. The
                    fine mesh filter usually has some fine grounds plugging it, but it's not
                    solidly plugged.
                    I'm using pre ground coffee probably ground for a drip coffee maker and seem
                    to get a lot of bang for the buck--coffee has good strong flavor for minimal
                    grounds, but the taste is smooth and no sludge at the bottom of the cup.
                    So, I'm very happy with it. I would like to find out which grind is best.
                    I have a coffee grinder and could just grind it myself.
                    What do y'all (Texas speak) use?
                    Jan Stallone

                    --
                    Wild Burro and Donkey Foundation of Central Texas
                    PO Box 5682, Bryan, TX 77805

                  • Dave Leonard
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
                      You may need to be real picky on the coffee grinder you get. Most inexpensive ones, and many costlier ones, produce dust in with the grind. This dust can both plug a filter and let lots of sediment through. I have a KitchenAid Pro grinder that cost around $150 a few years ago. It always produces enough dust to cause sediment, but so far hasn't caused plugging of the screen filter. I don't like all the sediment I get in the brew. I finally switched to a cloth filter, which leaves no sediment at all. I have the same problem, plus stalling, when using glass filters in my glass stove-top brewers. Went to cloth on them, too. I have heard from people who's opinion I respect that the better grinders, like the Minni-Mezzer (sp?) and Rocky Rancilla (sp?) do much better, but have no personal; experience. I have tried a cheap Braun burr grinder and a chopper, but both were much worse than the KitchenAid.

                      Dave in Michigan