Sunbeam C 50 question.

  • larry h
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31 8:39 PM
      Hello All,

      I ran into a nice looking C50 yesterday and just got around to trying it out. I am not sure after looking at the instructions we have up by Ron and Edgar, if the switch is supposed to not actually stay in one position or not. This one is hard to move the dial but when you twist it towards brew it will finally turn on the lamp under the switch. I let it go though the brew, but as I feared it wants to keep brewing in cycles and not let the water down. After I twisted around on the switch a few time from brew to warm, it finally let the water down. I don't know if its old age or what to look for. I am going to give it a few more test runs to see if it will start to work correctly, but not really sure how that switch should feel or work. If it keeps staying up has anyone had any luck with doing something to the inwards to get one working right? I know the C30's I have tried to coax into working right usually haven't..

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
        I know know why I don't like to look at the workings of these electrical pots.. This one is a bit difficult to disassemble and I managed to pull one of the soldered wires loose.  I may attempt to reattach it, not sure the outcome of that however.  Something seems amiss in the way in which the switching from high to warm is taking place but as usual in looking at the series of contacts and spring metal parts, I really haven't a clue.. I may not have  a pot at this point.. Well I didn't have one before either! I did discover the only way to take off the bottom is to undo the two contact pins the cord plugs into. Don't know how much trouble its going to be to get at that to reassemble it or make any adjustments to the only screw I see that appears to having something to do with the timing.  I can't picture them having to take all those steps to be able to make minor adjustments to the timing, but I don't see any other way?
        Larry

[...]

      • stebchem
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
          Hi Larry,

          Just checked the C50 instructions and it does indicate that after a few minutes the switch will automatically kick back from "Brew" to "Warm." It might be that the switch is faulty. Perhaps you'll just have to manually click the switch from the higher to the lower setting when you feel it needs it.

          Hope you can get the C50 working OK for you. Of all the Sunbeam CoffeeMaster vacpots, we still believe that the C20 has the best technology of all.

          Ron & Edgar
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
            Hi Ron,
            Well you may be correct the seal on those works well also.  So far mine is dead after my botched attempt to take it apart. I don't know why some companies figured out a easy way to access the controls and sunbeam evidently on this one decided to make it quite a chore.
            Larry

            Just checked the C50 instructions and it does indicate that after a few minutes the switch will automatically kick back from "Brew" to "Warm." It might be that the switch is faulty. Perhaps you'll just have to manually click the switch from the higher to the lower setting when you feel it needs it.

            Hope you can get the C50 working OK for you. Of all the Sunbeam CoffeeMaster vacpots, we still believe that the C20 has the best technology of all.

            Ron & Edgar

          • jbengfort
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2010
              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

              > I know know why I don't like to look at the workings of these electrical pots.. This one is a bit difficult to disassemble and I managed to pull one of the soldered wires loose.  I may attempt to reattach it, not sure the outcome of that however.  Something seems amiss in the way in which the switching from high to warm is taking place but as usual in looking at the series of contacts and spring metal parts, I really haven't a clue.. I may not have  a pot at this point.. Well I didn't have one before either! I did discover the only way to take off the bottom is to undo the two contact pins the cord plugs into. Don't know how much trouble its going to be to get at that to reassemble it or make any adjustments to the only screw I see that appears to having something to do with the timing.  I can't picture them having to take all those steps to be able to make minor adjustments to the timing, but I don't see any other way?
              > Larry

              Larry, did you ever get any information on the C50--I am needing to adjust the temp setting but haven't found any data/schematics? John

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2010
                John,
                No I ended up selling the pot for parts and threw away the bottom.. We have C 30 instructions in the Links now by Philip but I don't know if anything in there would apply to C 50's or not?
                Larry

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2010
                  No, not really. I haven't tried the Lib. of Cong. yet--real spare time....Thanks! John

                  From: jbengfort <jbengfort@yahoo. com>

                  To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                  Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2010, 1:23 PM