Coffee brewing, temperature vs. speed.

  • larry h
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 17, 2009
      I am mostly confused now. I had pretty much decided that overly high wattage electric coffee pots had a tendency to make rather "burnt" or overcooked tasting coffee, and often do. Yesterday while out junking I ran across a little 4 cup Farberware superfast percolator. The outside was like new, but the insides, well pitch black. I don't think it was ever cleaned. Fortunately I like restoring and cleaning so after an evening of vinegar, baking soda and lots of elbow grease I got it sparking like new. I had run water though it to be sure it worked and shut off before I went to the trouble to clean it up. So after all that work this morning I made coffee in it, expecting to have to throw it out and make some another method. But to my surprise that speedy perk delivered quite a good cup of coffee and no overcooked effects.

      So what is the factor here that is most important to the end result do you think? The short but hot perk time is my guess, even though it flies in the face of higher wattage being an issue. Some of those perks go on forever and when they are done, well the coffee is way over done to my taste. Farberware seems to have reached a happy medium and at a shorter perk time than I would have expected would work.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 17, 2009
        Larry, I have heard good things about those little Farberware superfast perks. I think they work on the same principle as the Jet-O-Matic. I have the instructions for the Jet-O-Matic that I bought off ebay a while back because I got the pot in the thrift store about a year ago (althouth I have not yet tried it out). But it says that the secret to its percolating is that it superheats the water and percolates it rapidly without boiling it. I guess technically it is recirculating cofffee over the grounds at some point after the water makes the first pass over, but the fact that it heats rapidly must do something to bloom the grounds quickly and release the right oils fast, without releasing the bitter oils that would come out from overperking?? Just a guess.
        I had another friend who had one of those small Farber superfast and he saved it just to make decaf for his mom when she came over. He said he could have fresh-brewed hot coffee in front of her within 4-5 minutes of her walking in the door--on a drop in (unexpected) visit.

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 17, 2009
          Roland,
          Yes its that fast! Quite impressive. I am glad to read your theory on how it might work well. I had one of those Jet O Matics for a while, it was rather noisy to say the least. This little pot is a bit at first and then quiets down nicely and next thing you know it done.  Its way faster than the Jet O matic I think.
          Larry

          From: rsburritt@... <rsburritt@...>
          Subject: Re: [vacpot] Coffee brewing, temperature vs. speed.
          To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Saturday, October 17, 2009, 10:38 PM

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 17, 2009
            Hi Larry,
            I noticed the Farbers seem to do well on ebay too, or at least they did when I was looking at them a while back.
            I recall the Jet O Matic being noisy when I tried it with plain water. However, they still fetch a high dollar on ebay because people who have them swear by them as making great coffee.
            Do you think the reason your Farber is faster than the Jet is because it's smaller? It think the Jet is 6 cups (at least) if not 8.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 18, 2009
              Yes I believe the Jet O Matic was 8 cups. That could be part of the speed. I used the 4 cup again this morning and after your comment on the fact that it may operate like the Jet I realized that if you listen to it, the sound is similar only without the nasty squealing sound they make. And in thinking about it the way the Farberware uses a spring loaded perk basket that has to be pushed down against the action of the spring all rings a bell.  Interesting that they are a similar design, I hadn't considered that as yet.

              From: rsburritt@gmail. com <rsburritt@gmail. com>

              To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

              Date: Saturday, October 17, 2009, 10:38 PM

              From: larry h

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 18, 2009
                Hi Larry,
                it would be interesting to find out if they were made by the same company, whoever that would be. I know that Farber sold many co-branded products (someone else's product with their name on it, perhaps modified slightly to look unique) so the two pots might be made by the same company, but without doing research I can't say for sure.
                I do know that the Jet O Matic was co-branded by both Saladmaster and Duncan Hines and offered with their line of Stainless Cookware. The Saladmaster version is usually available on ebay often (the top knob says Saladmaster, but the pot is the same). I haven't seen the Duncan Hines pot, but the instructions I purchased are for the Duncan Hines co-branded version. It's essentially a booklet of instructions from Jet O Matic with Duncan Hines name added to the printing on the front. I think it even says The Duncan Hines Jet O Matic Coffee Pot or something like that.

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 18, 2009
                  Roland,
                  The Salad Master design is incorporated with even more names than that, but off the top of my head I can't recall what they were. I think the one I owned was yet another company that sold it with their name on it.  I doubt farberware is using the salad master pot as there are differences in the two including shape and ways the stem and basket are made. Plus thankfully the farberware one doesn't sing to you loudly till its done, kind of like a wheezing old man. If I had been the designer I think I would have tried to eliminate that effect.

                  From: rsburritt@gmail. com <rsburritt@gmail. com>

                  To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                  From: Larry Hollenberg

                  From: rsburritt@gmail. com <rsburritt@gmail. com>

                  To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                  Date: Saturday, October 17, 2009, 10:38 PM

                  From: larry h

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 18, 2009
                    Larry, the only Saladmaster percolator I am aware of is Jet O Matic.
                    Which other ones have you seen?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
                      Roland,
                      As usual I am not an expert on these things. But what I was saying was that the Design of the Salad Master Jet O Matic pot was evidently also sold under quite a number of private brands.  When I was looking for them I saw at least four versions on ebay when a lot more things that were running, same pot, different name.  I guess its age but the names elude me at the moment.

                      From: rsburritt@gmail. com <rsburritt@gmail. com>

                      To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                      Date: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 12:19 PM

                      From: Larry Hollenberg

                      From: rsburritt@gmail. com <rsburritt@gmail. com>

                      To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                      From: Larry Hollenberg

                      From: rsburritt@gmail. com <rsburritt@gmail. com>

                      To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                      Date: Saturday, October 17, 2009, 10:38 PM

                      From: larry h

[...]

                    • nancy curtis
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
                        My oldest daughter bought me one of these Salad Master Jet-O-Matic pots at a
                        garage sale this summer..still in the box but I haven't figured out exactly
                        how to use it yet. There was no instruction booklet or card with it. I
                        could use some help figuring it out.

                        Nancy C.

                        --- On Sun, 10/18/09, rsburritt@gmail. <mailto:rsburritt%40gmail.com> com

                        From: rsburritt@gmail. <mailto:rsburritt%40gmail.com> com <rsburritt@gmail.
                        <mailto:rsburritt%40gmail.com> com>
                        To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>
                        ector@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 1:30 PM

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
                          Nancy,
                          As long as its all there its the same as any percolator in the respect that you fill the bottom with water, put the amount of grounds you want in the basket and then lock the lid down and plug it in, the rest is automatic. Get ready for some noisy coffee brewing!
                          I don't recall the exact way the lid locks on the Salad Master anymore. A quick look over should show how it engages. Both the salad master and the little farberware I have use a spring loaded stem that pushed the basket against the top in some ways.  I am thinking it may have twisted a part of a turn to lock the lid so the action of the water doesn't force the basket or lid to be pushed up opening the top a bit?
                          Larry

                          From: rsburritt@gmail. <mailto:rsburritt% 40gmail.com> com <rsburritt@gmail.

                          <mailto:rsburritt% 40gmail.com> com>

                          To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll <mailto:vacuumcoffe epotcollector% 40yahoogroups. com>

                          ector@yahoogroups. com

                          Date: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 1:30 PM

                          From: Larry Hollenberg

                          From: rsburritt@gmail. com <rsburritt@gmail. com>

                          To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                          From: Larry Hollenberg

                          From: rsburritt@gmail. com <rsburritt@gmail. com>

                          To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                          From: Larry Hollenberg

                          From: rsburritt@gmail. com <rsburritt@gmail. com>

                          To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                          From: larry h

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
                            The Saladmaster version usually have the instructions right on the box. Every time I have seen them on ebay NIB there has never been any instruction booklet with them.

                            From: rsburritt@gmail. <mailto:rsburritt%40gmail.com> com <rsburritt@gmail.
                            <mailto:rsburritt%40gmail.com> com>
                            To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>
                            ector@yahoogroups.com