Re: [vacpot] Prolonging life of Sunbeam vacpot gaskets?

  • pb_petty
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 17 3:14 PM
      I don't know if anyone has checked with this company, but they make narrow neck Silex replacement gaskets and are willing to make any replacement vacpot gasket with a minimum order. Intellectual property issues aside, I would hope that new gaskets would be plainly marked as such to avoid fraud and confusion. Sure would be fun to see some standard Cory and Silex replacement gaskets on eBay.

      Casco Bay Molding

      http://www.cb-molding.com/store/AntiqueCoffeeGasket.cfm

      From their site:
      Finally! A NEW gasket built for the Silex Small Mouth or Small Necked vacuum coffee makers. Injection molded with Healthcare Grade Silicone Rubber. Dishwasher safe. Will probably outlast the coffee maker!

      Yes we can produce other Silicone Gasket for other coffee makers but we need an order for 300 parts for a $3,900 tooling charge. Please put a group of Coffee drinkers together willing to purchase 300 gaskets at our current prices. With 50% down, 50% after acceptance of gasket. Delivery time in 6-8 weeks. Thank You.

      Philip

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 17 3:52 PM
        Philip,
        That has come up a number of times over the years here. The company that produced the small silex seal hasn't been able to sell enough to drive them to produce other types. If a backer with enough of an advance purchase wanted to have them make them it could work, but who would that be?

        Larry

        I don't know if anyone has checked with this company, but they make narrow neck Silex replacement gaskets and are willing to make any replacement vacpot gasket with a minimum order. Intellectual property issues aside, I would hope that new gaskets would be plainly marked as such to avoid fraud and confusion. Sure would be fun to see some standard Cory and Silex replacement gaskets on eBay.

        Casco Bay Molding

        http://www.cb- molding.com/ store/AntiqueCof feeGasket. cfm

        From their site:

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 17 4:37 PM
          This is not the only company interested in this market. There are also other companies capable of doing this work that have probably never heard of this market. Initiative is the key.

          As for who would buy from Casco Bay Molding, it would either be an entrepreneur investing $3900 to sell 300 gaskets or a group like this who could agree to put together a total order of 300 gaskets (say for Coffeemasters) at $13 per gasket. Imagine the surprise of eBay buyers if they suddenly saw working Coffeemasters for sale with dishwasher safe gaskets. Seems to me the price of those Coffeemasters would go up and if some folks purchased them cheap with bad gaskets and resold them with new gaskets they would laugh all the way to the bank.

          Philip

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 17 5:42 PM
            The Coffeemaster gasket seems harder to manufacture though because of the metal insert.

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 17 5:54 PM
              We cannot ignore practical issues such as you mention Roland, but there are probably plenty of ways to make money with Cory or Silex wide mouth gaskets as another example. It is probably only a matter of time before it happens.

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 17 7:29 PM
                Actually I think the Casco company might have done considerably better had they started with the wide mouth size.  I don't know what others think, but I have a feeling more people would use the larger mouth pot due to the ease of washing it out after use. The problem that would need to be solved however to me is the fact the current small silex gasket is too wobbly in use and allows the top to tilt instead of holding it firmly up. I do think it could be possible that Sunbeam and Cory and Silex would be good sellers for the person who could manage to front them, but over time.  Actually as a Buy it Now on ebay new gaskets should be a almost sure thing?
                Larry

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 17 8:07 PM
                  I think they started with the smaller because it's cheaper to produce. When I looked into having gaskets made, I went to a rubber moulding company where I used to live and the process was explained to me. The bulk of the expense is in the cost of making the mould. The smaller the mould, the less mill-time, hence lower cost. The mould for the wide mouth gasket (out of which 4 gaskets could be fabricated at a time) was at least $3500...mill-work is not cheap. Once you have the mould, the cost of gaskets is fairly low. Eventually you have to replace the mould, after so many uses, but I don't know how when that is.

                  Actually I think the Casco company might have done considerably better had they started with the wide mouth size. I don't know what others think, but I have a feeling more people would use the larger mouth pot due to the ease of washing it out after use. The problem that would need to be solved however to me is the fact the current small silex gasket is too wobbly in use and allows the top to tilt instead of holding it firmly up. I do think it could be possible that Sunbeam and Cory and Silex would be good sellers for the person who could manage to front them, but over time. Actually as a Buy it Now on ebay new gaskets should be a almost sure thing?
                  Larry

                  We cannot ignore practical issues such as you mention Roland, but there are probably plenty of ways to make money with Cory or Silex wide mouth gaskets as another example. It is probably only a matter of time before it happens.

                  Philip

                  --- In vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com, <rsburritt@. ..> wrote:

                  > The Coffeemaster gasket seems harder to manufacture though because of the metal insert.

                  > Roland

                • noelbrian107
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 22, 2009
                    I just got a C30 in MINT unused condition for 20.00 at a consignemnt shop.Not a scratch on
                    it! I couldn't pull it apart in the shop so I took a
                    risk and bought it anyway. I got it home and yanked it
                    apart. The gasket was hard but not damaged or
                    crumbling. I filled the bottom with water and ran it
                    through a cycle three times. After the first cycle, it
                    came apart with ease so it works!It hardens up between uses but once it runs a cycle, everything is fine....Now here is my
                    problem/question...it does not have a filter cup in the
                    top...it only has the thin wire rod...any recommendations
                    for replacement?...can I use something not exact? I
                    tried to rig one from a farberware percolator and the loop
                    of the rod was too big.
                    Can I wedge the metal farberweware filter cup inside against the rod?
                    Thanks in advance for your ideas.