Prolonging life of Sunbeam vacpot gaskets?

  • Ron McCray
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 15, 2009
      As we're sure most of you know, hardened rubber gaskets on the Sunbeam vacpots (especially C30s) are a big problem. Some, in fact, are no
      longer functional because you (a) cannot get the upper & lower parts
      apart or (b) you cannot get the hardened gasket to fit into the lower
      pot.

      A current eBay listing for a C30 has a lengthy narrative about how to
      prevent the above problem. Essentially, the seller says the secret
      to preventing hard gaskets is to store the upper and lower pots
      separately and not allow the gasket to be compressed in storage. Never
      heard of such a thing and doubt that it has any effect on the gasket.
      Has anybody else heard this claim?

      The eBay item number for the pot in question is 330350942507 if you
      would like to check out what the seller says about this.
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 15, 2009
        I think it's garbage. I know someone who stored them separately and when she went to use her pot, the gasket melted.
        I think it's just an issue of when the gasket decides it's time to die, it dies...and that's all she wrote.
        Just my .02.

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 17, 2009
          The gaskets on some of my old C30's that sit out turned rock hard and would not go into the pot anymore.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 17, 2009
            I have a suspicion that just as many fail inside the pot. I see way more stuck together pots than ones sitting apart, and I think that is usually because once someone forced them apart they couldn't get them back together.
            Larry

            From: rsburritt@gmail. com <rsburritt@gmail. com>

            To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

            Date: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 10:06 PM

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 17, 2009
              Had that happen, too. If you boil some water in something and pour it into the stuck pot it will usually loosen enough to get them apart. The gasket is still no good, but the other parts may be useful for replacement parts.

              Dave

              From: Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman@ yahoo.com>

              To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

              Date: Monday, August 17, 2009, 9:50 AM

              From: rsburritt@gmail. com <rsburritt@gmail. com>

              To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

              Date: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 10:06 PM

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 17, 2009
                Dave, good idea. I'll try that on one I have stuck together.
                But then you run into the problem of...eventually you have all the replacement parts in the world...and still it does not good because there are no replacement gaskets...because they just don't make them anymore. LOL So why bother??

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 17, 2009
                  An interesting use for the bottom part of one is to strip the burner electronics and mechanical stuff off, cut the brass bolt off and, using a socket or other device around the center nut, gently hammer the bottom flat, including the heating coil. The result is a nice stove-top vac pot that you can use your good funnel with. This, with a little practice, can make better coffee than the stock Sunbeam ever could, as you can perfectly regulate the heat and brew time. The chrome plating doesn't seem to taint the flavor like some other metals can, and it's a whole lot more durable than a glass pot. I use my modified Sunbeam more than any other coffee pot I have.

                  Dave

                  From: Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@ yahoo.com>

                  To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                  Date: Monday, August 17, 2009, 11:07 AM

                  From: Dave Leonard <the_hurdy_gurdyman @ yahoo.com>

                  To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                  Date: Monday, August 17, 2009, 9:50 AM

                  From: rsburritt@gmail. com <rsburritt@gmail. com>

                  To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

                  Date: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 10:06 PM

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 17, 2009
                    I don't know if anyone has checked with this company, but they make narrow neck Silex replacement gaskets and are willing to make any replacement vacpot gasket with a minimum order. Intellectual property issues aside, I would hope that new gaskets would be plainly marked as such to avoid fraud and confusion. Sure would be fun to see some standard Cory and Silex replacement gaskets on eBay.

                    Casco Bay Molding

                    http://www.cb-molding.com/store/AntiqueCoffeeGasket.cfm

                    From their site:
                    Finally! A NEW gasket built for the Silex Small Mouth or Small Necked vacuum coffee makers. Injection molded with Healthcare Grade Silicone Rubber. Dishwasher safe. Will probably outlast the coffee maker!

                    Yes we can produce other Silicone Gasket for other coffee makers but we need an order for 300 parts for a $3,900 tooling charge. Please put a group of Coffee drinkers together willing to purchase 300 gaskets at our current prices. With 50% down, 50% after acceptance of gasket. Delivery time in 6-8 weeks. Thank You.

                    Philip

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 17, 2009
                      Philip,
                      That has come up a number of times over the years here. The company that produced the small silex seal hasn't been able to sell enough to drive them to produce other types. If a backer with enough of an advance purchase wanted to have them make them it could work, but who would that be?

                      Larry

                      I don't know if anyone has checked with this company, but they make narrow neck Silex replacement gaskets and are willing to make any replacement vacpot gasket with a minimum order. Intellectual property issues aside, I would hope that new gaskets would be plainly marked as such to avoid fraud and confusion. Sure would be fun to see some standard Cory and Silex replacement gaskets on eBay.

                      Casco Bay Molding

                      http://www.cb- molding.com/ store/AntiqueCof feeGasket. cfm

                      From their site:

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 17, 2009
                        This is not the only company interested in this market. There are also other companies capable of doing this work that have probably never heard of this market. Initiative is the key.

                        As for who would buy from Casco Bay Molding, it would either be an entrepreneur investing $3900 to sell 300 gaskets or a group like this who could agree to put together a total order of 300 gaskets (say for Coffeemasters) at $13 per gasket. Imagine the surprise of eBay buyers if they suddenly saw working Coffeemasters for sale with dishwasher safe gaskets. Seems to me the price of those Coffeemasters would go up and if some folks purchased them cheap with bad gaskets and resold them with new gaskets they would laugh all the way to the bank.

                        Philip

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 17, 2009
                          The Coffeemaster gasket seems harder to manufacture though because of the metal insert.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 17, 2009
                            We cannot ignore practical issues such as you mention Roland, but there are probably plenty of ways to make money with Cory or Silex wide mouth gaskets as another example. It is probably only a matter of time before it happens.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 17, 2009
                              Actually I think the Casco company might have done considerably better had they started with the wide mouth size.  I don't know what others think, but I have a feeling more people would use the larger mouth pot due to the ease of washing it out after use. The problem that would need to be solved however to me is the fact the current small silex gasket is too wobbly in use and allows the top to tilt instead of holding it firmly up. I do think it could be possible that Sunbeam and Cory and Silex would be good sellers for the person who could manage to front them, but over time.  Actually as a Buy it Now on ebay new gaskets should be a almost sure thing?
                              Larry

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 17, 2009
                                I think they started with the smaller because it's cheaper to produce. When I looked into having gaskets made, I went to a rubber moulding company where I used to live and the process was explained to me. The bulk of the expense is in the cost of making the mould. The smaller the mould, the less mill-time, hence lower cost. The mould for the wide mouth gasket (out of which 4 gaskets could be fabricated at a time) was at least $3500...mill-work is not cheap. Once you have the mould, the cost of gaskets is fairly low. Eventually you have to replace the mould, after so many uses, but I don't know how when that is.

                                Actually I think the Casco company might have done considerably better had they started with the wide mouth size. I don't know what others think, but I have a feeling more people would use the larger mouth pot due to the ease of washing it out after use. The problem that would need to be solved however to me is the fact the current small silex gasket is too wobbly in use and allows the top to tilt instead of holding it firmly up. I do think it could be possible that Sunbeam and Cory and Silex would be good sellers for the person who could manage to front them, but over time. Actually as a Buy it Now on ebay new gaskets should be a almost sure thing?
                                Larry

                                We cannot ignore practical issues such as you mention Roland, but there are probably plenty of ways to make money with Cory or Silex wide mouth gaskets as another example. It is probably only a matter of time before it happens.

                                Philip

                                --- In vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com, <rsburritt@. ..> wrote:

                                > The Coffeemaster gasket seems harder to manufacture though because of the metal insert.

                                > Roland

                              • noelbrian107
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 22 1:44 AM
                                  I just got a C30 in MINT unused condition for 20.00 at a consignemnt shop.Not a scratch on
                                  it! I couldn't pull it apart in the shop so I took a
                                  risk and bought it anyway. I got it home and yanked it
                                  apart. The gasket was hard but not damaged or
                                  crumbling. I filled the bottom with water and ran it
                                  through a cycle three times. After the first cycle, it
                                  came apart with ease so it works!It hardens up between uses but once it runs a cycle, everything is fine....Now here is my
                                  problem/question...it does not have a filter cup in the
                                  top...it only has the thin wire rod...any recommendations
                                  for replacement?...can I use something not exact? I
                                  tried to rig one from a farberware percolator and the loop
                                  of the rod was too big.
                                  Can I wedge the metal farberweware filter cup inside against the rod?
                                  Thanks in advance for your ideas.