Re: [vacpot] Vintage Vacuum Pot Bluebook?

  • heacdchange
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2009
      Larry,

      Your suggestions got me thinking that it would be a great resource if we could somehow create a database or some sort of archive to log the selling prices of various vac pots on Ebay (and other sources). It would certainly be a group effort, but I would be happy to do the research to find the most viable way to accomplish such a task. This group is already a terrific repository of vac pot related info.

      I know the group has a database section that may be able to be utilized for such a task. I am a very computer literate person, but I do not have much experience with the ins and outs of the Yahoo Group capabilities. Another option may be an online spreadsheet, editable only by group members.

      What do you guys and gals think about trying to set up our own vac pot blue book system?

      Jason

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2009
        Jason,
        Your idea is a good one.  I am totally illiterate when it comes to computers and programing. I know that another group of Organ Collectors has a running report on what the various kinds and brands of organs went for, or did not sell for in there group publication quarterly. If you had a way to set up various models as they come across ebay with ending results and an average price, it would be fun to see, but as to how to do it, I will have to leave to those of you who are experts in the field.  If there is anything in the existing resources of the group to do that your welcome to use them, or perhaps contact Roland who is very skilled at computers also about how you all might go about it.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2009
          Janson,
          Several members think this would be an interesting idea, especially if you have the time to keep track of it all.  Perhaps the simplest would be to list the highest and lowest a pot sold for during a month or two month period?  Or it could be all the prices, but that would be harder. You might try sending a message to Phillip and see if you all can figure out a way to post the results.  As just a thought, the way another group I belonged to did it is to publish the names of items and the sales on a list an then ran it in the bulletin that came out quarterly.  Perhaps something as simple as a list that would be sent as a message to the group and dated for the period it was from would at least let people interested view the results.   Or maybe there is a way to link to them from our available sites.   I think another group has a sort of Archives that they access, you might want to run that one by Roland for his thoughts.. I am sort of out of my
          league on the computer.
          Larry

          Your suggestions got me thinking that it would be a great resource if we could somehow create a database or some sort of archive to log the selling prices of various vac pots on Ebay (and other sources). It would certainly be a group effort, but I would be happy to do the research to find the most viable way to accomplish such a task. This group is already a terrific repository of vac pot related info.

          I know the group has a database section that may be able to be utilized for such a task. I am a very computer literate person, but I do not have much experience with the ins and outs of the Yahoo Group capabilities. Another option may be an online spreadsheet, editable only by group members.

          What do you guys and gals think about trying to set up our own vac pot blue book system?

          Jason

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@ ...> wrote:

          > Jason,

          > Nice to have you  join us. My best idea would be to check the "completed" sales link on the ebay pages where your interested in the items. It will give an idea of what people seem willing to pay a the moment for those kinds of items.

          > You will get various points from that though.. Some people get stuck overbidding at the last moment causing a 9.99 item to end at 39.99.  So that can be tricky. The main thing is to make notes if you really want an overall idea of what things are going for and then if something comes along you like and the price is within reason bid..

          > You probably can also "watch" the items your interested in seeing the prices of and you will see how much they ended at. Over time you will get a feel for things that way.

          > Every now and then some "hot" item, usually and unusual design comes along and you see a really high winning bid. Thats the one you want to find at a garage sale or auction for a few dollars.  I had that happen a few weeks ago.  A really rare item went for a dollar at a sale just as I walked in.  Too bad I missed it.  It ended up on  ebay at 77.00.  Most people had no clue any one wanted it, just a coffee pot to them..

          > have fun and join in the conversations here as you feel like it.

          > Larry

          > --- On Thu, 7/30/09, heacdchange <headchangestudio@ ...> wrote:

          > From: heacdchange <headchangestudio@ ...>

          > Subject: [vacpot] Vintage Vacuum Pot Bluebook?

          > To: vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com

          > Date: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 11:29 PM

          > I am wondering if there might be a resource that gives the average prices that vintage vac pots sell for. I am new to collecting and most of the pots I look at are on Ebay. It would be nice to have some idea of how high I should bid.

          > Thanks,

          > Jason

        • heacdchange
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2009
            Larry,

            I am currently looking a few options for the blue book idea.

            I don't think inputting all the data is something that I would have time to do on my own. I a currently looking for a system that would allow select users, including myself, to input the data from Ebay and other sources.

            Basically what I am envisioning is system where someone would enter the info from a vac pot on Ebay via a system of drop down boxes or by filling out a short form. You would enter data points like model numbers (top and bottom possibly), included accessories like burners and filter rods, estimated condition, and the final selling price. On Ebay sells I would also include the ability to use the item number to hopefully avoid duplicate entries. When someone viewed a particular model #, an average selling price would be displayed.

            I also think that the blue book system would only work if we logged as many sales as possible. I don't think adding a couple of entries a month would be worth the effort of setting up a blue book.