Cork linings on vacpot carafes

  • pb_petty
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
      Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I could not find an answer searching the archives.

      What is the deal with some (primarily wide mouth) vacpots having the inside rims lined with cork? I can guess the purpose is to prolong the life of the seal of a rubber gasket though even that I am guessing about. This may be a regional or national issue for all I know. So far my speculation runs into these possibilities (and more than one may apply):

      * Factory applied due to customer feedback (or factory kits)
      * Third-party kits marketed to customers to prolong the life of their vacpot
      * Kits sold due to wartime material restrictions in the 1940's (rubber)
      * Homegrown solution that may have been spread by ads or magazine articles

      I would appreciate if you more experienced and wiser collectors would help me understand this cork issue and how widespread it is. This is a great group.

      Have a Happy 4th of July!

      Philip
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
        Philip,
        The only cork I am familiar with inside the rims is usually under the metal band that holds the handle and is there to keep it from rotating to loosely on the pot.  Are you saying there is cork in the actual seals?
        Larry

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
          I have seen a few pots with cork lining (thin, maybe like auto gasket cork) on the inside rim of the bottom. That would mean the rubber gasket is setting against the cork when the top is inserted. Currently I do not own an example and I don't remember this being on one particular brand. I wish I had kept the pics of this phenomenon. Sorry to be a bit vague.

          Philip

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
            It would sound like someone perhaps has added it to attempt to make a poor seal work to me. I can't picture the manufacture actually having exposed cork around the rim where the coffee would be subject to getting it wet? But who knows, crazy things happen..
            Larry

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
              That sounds disgusting to me. I would NEVER drink coffee from such a pot.