Westinghouse CM-71 Instructions

  • pbpetty@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
      Greetings!

      Does anyone have instructions for a Westinghouse Automatic CM-71 (or Monitor equivalent) they could scan and share?

      I recently obtained a metal Westinghouse "Automatic" CM-71. It just looked kinda neat for a metal vacpot. As seems to be the case all too often with metal "Automatic" vacpots the unit works (will burn your flesh off fast if you touch the base while it is boiling the water) but the operation of the button switch and the cycle timing are not exactly optimal (in my humble opinion.)

      The base unit heats like a fiend and gets the water to the upper bowl in about 5-6 minutes, but then it just "boils" in the upper bowl until I pull the button switch out manually. It then still takes quite a number of minutes for the base to cool down enough to allow the return to the bottom. I think part of that is due to the large mass of metal on the base which retains the heat very well (long thermal cycle) instead of the quick cycle I am used to with glass.

      After the unit returned the liquid to the base I plugged it back in with the power button pulled out and put a thermometer in to see what would happen. Sure enough it held the coffee at exactly 200 degrees for as long as I left it plugged in. That part was sweet!

      Anyway I have not taken the base apart to see if there is some obvious problem with whatever method is used to make the unit "Automatic" (bimetal strip, etc.) I was hoping the original instructions would shed some light on what the expected operation cycle is and how the button switch is supposed to work.

      Thanks to any of you who may be able to help. This site is awesome.

      Philip Petty
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
        Phillip, it's probably bi-metal as you say.
        Fiddling with the adjustment on those automatics, if they have been used a lot already, is very tricky. I am no expert, but I think that once that bi-metal strip has gone through about 1000 cycles (plus 50 or 60 years) it loses something.

        Once you get the adjustment better calibrated, if you can't get it timed just right, one thing you can also try is using a timer to time the full cycle with used coffee grounds and seeing what time the pot shuts off and heads south on its own. Make a note of it. Do this about 3 or 4 times so that you have an average mean time.

        Then, when you make coffee, just use your timer each time and keep track of where the brew cycle is. You want to dump the grounds into the top (which will already have the hot water in it) at about shut-off minus 2 minutes, or shut-off minus 90 seconds, or at whatever point in time corresponds with however strong you like your coffee. Be sure to stir the grounds a few times when you dump them in, then put the cover back on quickly.

        Doing this should give your pot time to do its exaggerated cycle, but keep your coffee from over-extracting.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009
          "I am no expert, but I think that once that bi-metal strip has gone
          through about 1000 cycles (plus 50 or 60 years) it loses something."
          Definitely Wisdom 101 for Automatic Vacpots!

          Thanks for your kind reply Roland. Perhaps someday I will tinker with
          the controls for this CM-71, but for now I guess I will just have to be
          satisfied that it does "work" (if not perfectly) and enjoy how cool it
          looks on display. Even if I do get it up to spec at some point, it is
          just too dangerous to use regularly. I do not want to risk accidentally
          brushing up against that red hot base and getting a serious burn. I will
          stick to my glass vacpots for making coffee daily.

          Philip

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, <rsburritt@...> wrote:

          > Phillip, it's probably bi-metal as you say.
          > Fiddling with the adjustment on those automatics, if they have been
          used a lot already, is very tricky. I am no expert, but I think that
          once that bi-metal strip has gone through about 1000 cycles (plus 50 or
          60 years) it loses something.

          > Once you get the adjustment better calibrated, if you can't get it
          timed just right, one thing you can also try is using a timer to time
          the full cycle with used coffee grounds and seeing what time the pot
          shuts off and heads south on its own. Make a note of it. Do this about
          3 or 4 times so that you have an average mean time.

          > Then, when you make coffee, just use your timer each time and keep
          track of where the brew cycle is. You want to dump the grounds into the
          top (which will already have the hot water in it) at about shut-off
          minus 2 minutes, or shut-off minus 90 seconds, or at whatever point in
          time corresponds with however strong you like your coffee. Be sure to
          stir the grounds a few times when you dump them in, then put the cover
          back on quickly.

          > Doing this should give your pot time to do its exaggerated cycle, but
          keep your coffee from over-extracting.

          > Roland

        • Ron McCray
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2009
            Hi Philip,

            We have just added the Westinghouse instructions you requested to our photo album (Ron & Edgar's Coffee Makers). Hope this will be of some help to you.

            If you check the wattage on the Westinghouse vacpot, you'll find that it is 1000 watts! No wonder it gets so hot, brews so vigorously and takes a long time for it to cool down enough for the brewed coffee to move down to the carafe. These units are way overpowered. It bubbles so forcefully that we have to put a wet paper towel over the lid to keep coffee and grounds from sloshing out during brewing. Ours does end the brewing cycle automatically but since it takes so long, we use a little less ground coffee than usual.

            Ron & Edgar
          • pbpetty@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2009
              Wow!

              Thank you very much for the instructions and for sharing your
              experience. You have no idea how much help this is to me and what an
              encouragement it is. This group is really great. That includes the
              members and the content. I hope to be able to contribute as well when I
              have the ability. Soon I will have some photos of my modest group of
              vacpots to post in an album. Today I just received my first 19th Century
              piece from England. It was dumb luck.

              Philip

              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Ron McCray"

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2009
                Philip, Ron,
                I guess I haven't followed this thread like I should have.  I also had one of these at one time. I my case it wanted to switch off just as the brew cycle began so didn't brew completely.  Something I have had issues with in so many electrical vac pots.  I was unable to remedy the situation.
                The most reliable units I had were usually the Knapp Monarch ones.  Only one of those didn't work as it should have and use if I recall about a 400 watt element.  I think too that the units that get too hot can be a problem with coffee quality.
                Larry

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 6, 2009
                  I think we'll never know how these pots actually performed when they were not only brand new, but also newly manufactured. If you're lucky, every once in a while a NOS (new, old stock) model will come up on ebay that someone probably bought and never used or got as a gift and never used and it sat in a pantry for 50 years. And technically, it should work somewhat like what would have been expected when it was first bought, but for how many times?
                  I'm not a metallurgist but I'm inclined to think that age and atmosphere may have a slight effect on the metals in the thermostat, however slight.

                  As far as used electric pots with the bi-metal thermostats, I found something interesting online which may help explain why they are so difficult to calibrate.

                  The page link is below, but it's rather lengthy and dry. However, the paragraph I'm referring to is here:

                  "A potential problem with fused-bimetal thermostats is contact arcing. Because the contacts slowly open and close, arcing may occur during intermediate states where contacts are close together or only lightly touching. Arcing wears out the mating surfaces of the contacts and raises contact resistance. As a result, cycle-life limits of creep-type fused-bimetal thermostats should be closely observed, especially in products where many actuations are expected."

                  http://www.sensors-transducers.machinedesign.com/guiEdits/Content/bdeee4/bdeee4_5.aspx