Re: [vacpot] Silex Narrow Necks

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17, 2009
      Steven your collection is phenomenal. Truly amazing! How long have you been collecting? I recall reading in one of your postings that you are more of a collector than a user of them. How did you get started in the hobby?

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 18, 2009
        Roland,

        I moved into my current home in December 1995; it is where my
        grandparents had lived. My grandfather had died in 1986 and the house
        had been used as a rental until early 1995 so most of my grandparents
        possessions were long gone, dispersed to various family memebers,
        including myself. However, in the attic was the top to a vacuum
        coffeemaker (a Cory DRU). I did not know what it was but I knew that
        Cory made coffeemakers so I suspected that it was coffee related. I had
        just discovered eBay so I did a search to find the carafe. And that is
        how I first discovered vacuum brewing. I have quite a few Cory
        DRU/DRLs today and I am not sure which one is my first.

        Today I got a Merit Taste King vacpot which I will add to the
        appropriate album after I photograph it. I also got a Hooper filter
        this week (I traded Matt Hargreaves a Cory commercial handle for it).
        It is a different one from the one already in the Filters album so I
        will be adding it soon.

        I am hoping that I will finish with the Silex Narrow Necks this week
        and start on the Silex Wide Necks soon.

        Steven

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 18, 2009
          Steven. That's awesome! I'm glad to see one of those Hooper filters found its way into your collection. It belongs there!
          I noticed you have a Farmer Bros. commercial pot. I have a couple of those I got a few years ago at an estate sale. They didn't come with the same type of filter as yours did, though. I think there was one Silex filter disc filter but my memory is fuzzy. In any case, I have often wondered how many of them survived, since they belonged to Farmer Bros. (not the establishment who used it) and whenever you needed your coffeemaker replaced or upgraded, Farmer Bros would just remove the old coffeemaker and give you the replacement one as part of the service contract to deliver coffee and supplies to you on a regular basis. I don't know if they would have junked them or auctioned them off in lots, who knows? The ones out there may be strays that people had in their back rooms that never made it back to the company. Another guess is that Farmer Bros reps may have told the establishments to throw the old vacuum brewers away when they started installing drip machines. Just a guess. It may have been cheaper just do dispose of them rather than round them all up. Back in the 50's or 60's who would want to buy a bunch of commercial vacuum brewers en masse?

          Thanks for documenting and sharing your collection. It's really nice to look at.