Re: [vacpot] Coffee Bowl Holder Ad in Photos.

  • STEVEN PHILLIP LEWIS
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2009
      Larry,

      Looking at the bowl holder it looks like the bowl is a Cory DLU. Great
      timing. I just got one to finish a coffeemaker that I am going to add
      to my "Cory Wide Neck (DLU/DLL)" album. It is the ivory variant of that
      model, one that I did not have in the album.

      Awhile back there was a discussion about a round bottomed Cory carafe.
      I have been trying to find one for a long time and just got one last
      week. The unit that I got did not have a handle or a lid but I had
      those items in my spare parts room. I will add photos to my "Cory Wide
      Neck (DRU/DRL)" album. Although this coffeemaker is actually DRU/DEL,
      it fits in that album because it is an 8 cup unit. Since it will not
      sit up on a regular surface, I have it on the Cory Step Saver stove--it
      was designed for it.

      I am currently gathering together photos that I have of different
      vacpot filters. Sometime in the near future, I will start a Filters
      album.

      Steven

      rsburritt@... wrote:

      >Larry,
      >That's a nice looking holder. I seem to remember seeing something like
      it, but I don't remember if it was an auction or a picture of someone's
      collection. Whatever the case there are probably not many of them
      around, I would think they would have gotten brittle and broken. If I
      had one, I would certainly never use it now, it would just be on
      display. But it makes a great template for a wooden stand of similar
      size/shape.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2009
        Steven, I may have missed something in your explanation but normally DEL is the designation for the lower (chrome plated, electric) half of the Cory automatic. The original configurations (first two editions, that I know of) of the Cory Automatic was with a DEL with it's own glass upper (called the DEU), but later versions of the Cory automatic consisted of a Cory electric lower (called an ABC) paired with a DRU upper.

        It's common to see a DEL automatic lower sold with a DRU upper on ebay because when the DEU uppers broke many people just used the DRU upper as a replacement, even though the DEU is a slightly different shape (it is elongated...and for good reason, to allow for a bit more forceful bubbling, which happens with the electronic heat that can't be controlled like a stovetop pot).

        Is this the kind of setup that you are making? An automatic?

        rsburritt@... wrote:

        >Larry,
        >That's a nice looking holder. I seem to remember seeing something like
        it, but I don't remember if it was an auction or a picture of someone's
        collection. Whatever the case there are probably not many of them
        around, I would think they would have gotten brittle and broken. If I
        had one, I would certainly never use it now, it would just be on
        display. But it makes a great template for a wooden stand of similar
        size/shape.

        >Roland

      • STEVEN PHILLIP LEWIS
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2009
          Roland,

          I know of the convention of the upper bowl ending in a U and the lower
          bowl ending in an L but it seems to apply to the stovetop coffeemakers.
          The round bottomed carafe is clearly marked (in green letters) DEL. If
          you look in my Cory Automatics photo album you will see the
          designations that Cory used for their electric models does not follow
          the same convention. While the uppers end in U (ACU, DEU, and EAU), the
          lower units are ACB, DEA, and EAB. I suspect that the DEU was made only
          for the DEA and not for the round bottomed DEL. And while the DEL fits
          nicely in the Step Saver stove, it seems to be rather impractical since
          you cannot place it on a flat surface.

          Steven

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 16, 2009
            Steven, thanks for correcting me. Most of my automatics are still packed up now (my DEA's). I'm using and ACB with the DRU top.
            I think you are correct, the DEU is only for the DEA.
            The DEL is entirely different...my mistake.